How to stay motivated?

Hi Guys,
I've been using this site on and off for a while, but for the life of me I just can't seem to stay motivated.
I lose around 20lbs everytime I start but then I lose intrest and pile the weight back on, I'm obese so I have a lot to lose but get bored when I don't physically see any results.
I was just wondering if any of you have any tips on how to stay motivated?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    one day you won't be bored with it. it has happened to many people. an initial surge of "yes i can do this" and then people start making excuses. yes, "being bored" is an excuse.

it happens. we all go through slumps.

sometimes having a long term goal like "look great for next years beach vacation" can be motivating, but sometimes it can seem so far away and pointless as the results are taking too long.

try making smaller goals like others suggested. managable goals too. like "i will exercise at least 3 times this week," and that way if you sneak in a fourth, you did a little extra.

you know, something that i like, is to pick a race or a competition say, 6-8 months from now, register for it, and there is your goal. you have a race to be ready at. like a warrior dash or spartan race. something difficult, but also within reach. you can stop worrying about fitting into a dress, and focus on being able to run 4 miles and climb a rope.

remember, appearance is a result of fitness. as you train for this race, you will look (and feel) better.

you have to draw from something inside you. it can be anger at your current state, disappointment that you don't fit in the clothes you like, happiness that you got a compliment, jealousy of a friend that eats whatever they want and fits in the cool clothes, whatever. but if it doesn't come from inside of you, it'll never last, no matter how many motivating pictures you have on your facebook feed or pintrest wall.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    one day you won't be bored with it. it has happened to many people. an initial surge of "yes i can do this" and then people start making excuses. yes, "being bored" is an excuse.

it happens. we all go through slumps.

sometimes having a long term goal like "look great for next years beach vacation" can be motivating, but sometimes it can seem so far away and pointless as the results are taking too long.

try making smaller goals like others suggested. managable goals too. like "i will exercise at least 3 times this week," and that way if you sneak in a fourth, you did a little extra.

you know, something that i like, is to pick a race or a competition say, 6-8 months from now, register for it, and there is your goal. you have a race to be ready at. like a warrior dash or spartan race. something difficult, but also within reach. you can stop worrying about fitting into a dress, and focus on being able to run 4 miles and climb a rope.

remember, appearance is a result of fitness. as you train for this race, you will look (and feel) better.

you have to draw from something inside you. it can be anger at your current state, disappointment that you don't fit in the clothes you like, happiness that you got a compliment, jealousy of a friend that eats whatever they want and fits in the cool clothes, whatever. but if it doesn't come from inside of you, it'll never last, no matter how many motivating pictures you have on your facebook feed or pintrest wall.

^^ THIS!
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Suggestions and encouragement don't hurt, but at the end of the day, you have to motivate yourself. No one can do it for you.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    If you can't stay motivated, top and bottom of it is, you don't want it enough.

Eventually, something will come along that WILL make you want to succeed. It can be a good thing (say a Wedding, or wanting to start a family) or it can be a bad thing (like my turning point - a good friend fell down dead of a heart attack and and scared the bejasus out of me!) But whatever it is, it'll make you want to succeed. REALLY want to. Not "Oooh it'd be nice..." but deep down "I'M GOING TO DO THIS" want.

If I hadn't really wanted to succeed, there's no way I could have stuck to logging every scrap of food that went in my mouth for over 380 days. Every meal I've dished up since that day except maybe 3-4 where i've been at friends has been put on my plate, with the plate sat on the scales so I know EXACTLY how much I've eaten. And it's not as if my diet's particularly restrictive - I'm a big lad, and I do LOTS of cycling and burn LOTS of energy up. It's not easy, but neither was the thought of my family having to go through life without me. So, I got off my fat *kitten* and lost a bit of weight - 140+ lb's and counting. It's been over a year to do that, and with another 50lb or so to go, it's probably going to be another year or more before I reach "maintenance level" but hey - it took me 48 years to get this fat, what's another couple of years!
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    I got help from a personal trainer and I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done. You have to really want to do it. If you are really unhappy it would be beneficial to begin a lifestyle change. Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as lifestyle change. Begin to limit the bad foods and increase the good food, don't eliminate the bad foods just have little quantities every now and then so that you stay on track. Good luck!
  • cwill86
    cwill86 Posts: 5 Member
    Entering a race/run and doing it for charity is a great way of staying motivated. If you know people have sponsored you to complete a half marathon or a 10K run it helps you keep going with healthy eating and exercise as people are relying on you to raise that money! That's what I done to give up smoking and lose weight.

:D Good luck!
  • i have always said, in order to loss weight, you have to have the WANT to lose it. anyone can lose weight because they had a bad day or someone made a horrible comment, but it's always up to YOU. it's easy to say, i will start the diet tomorrow but ask yourself, do you REALLY want to or are you just saying it because you feel you are eating something you shouldn't be eating?

when i first started changing my eating habits about 2 years ago, i hated every minute of it. i hated training. i hated eating veggies and fruits. all i wanted was a Big Mac and chips. i would of happily ate those 24/7 and you know what, i probably did at one stage.

it wasn't until Christmas of last year when i said enough was enough. i hated what i wore on Christmas day. i felt fat. New Years Day, I felt even worst and i purposely refused to eat all the food that was presented because i hated myself to much to enough the company of others. a part of me felt that i was being judge.

so in january, i signed up for Bootcamp classes and i changed my eating habits and i now love every minute of it. i have completed 2 marathons since i started my journey in january. i love it because I wanted to do it. i love it because I am now doing something i enjoy. beforehand i felt that i was being made to do it. my mam was buying fruits and vegs and telling me that i should eat them, now, i will happily eat fruit and vegs not a bother to me. when i go to the cinema, i would rather bring a packed lunch than have sweets. i love the new me.

i genuinely think you will wake up one day and realise, yes i want to do this but until then, forcing yourself to exercise and eat healthy wont make it easier for you. i think you should gradually bring in new foods and new exercises and before you now it, you will be exercising and eating healthy everyday.