disappointed in myself

Options
I've been working so hard and have gone from an all-time high of 213 to 188. Five of those pounds I lost when I started MFP, and then I've been battling a plateau for about 10 days. Last night, I lost control. After I completed my log last night and the kids went to bed, I ate about 600 calories in chocolate. I'm embarrassed that I did it, especially when I had been doing so well. It's kind of like my brain is wanting to tell me "You screwed up, might as well give it up." I'm not going to give it up, and I'm trying to tell my brain to shut up. I did make a poor choice this morning and ate pancakes for breakfast. I'm just going to work it into my calories for the day, but I feel so stupid.

Replies

• Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Look don't worry about it too much, we all do it at some point. The main thing is to make sure you don't let it spiral, just jump straight back onto the horse, which is what you have done. Just draw a line under it and forget about it. Happens to the best of us! :flowerforyou:
  • Aosuag
    Aosuag Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. This happens to the best of us. The key is to get back on track and keep moving forward. The key to success is the will to keep trying :)
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire box of Junior Mints last night, like 520 calories. I didn't let it get me down. I was only slightly over my calorie goal.

I find it's okay to indulge every now and again. You shouldn't "give up". It was one instance on one day, that's all.

By the way, I eat pancakes often.....still losing weight.
  • Ninnyninball
    Ninnyninball Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it! I have been there myself and when your not seeing it come off on the scales it can be very disheartning.

I don't know anyone who has been on a diet that hasn't had a bad day every now and again - its just part of the weight loss journey

Just make the right choices for the rest of the day and you will feel better.

Who knows the spike in cals yesterday might shift the plateu :flowerforyou:
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't feel stupid, we have ALL done it, it's part of the journey to changing your mind set, which is what you need to do to make this permenant. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, don't ever forget that...And if you do stuff up, which you will do from time to time, just dust yourself off and start again, don't keep kicking yourself because that is how you fall back into old habits......
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    How much do you have your deficit set at? If you have it set to 500, you are real close to maintainence. If you set it at 1000, then you are still under you maintainence. If you give up, it will have won. If you keep fighting, you will win. I think you will win in long run. Just remember, what is 10 days to the rest of the days you have to live. :)
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    At least in wasn't 6,000 calories in chocolate! Log it and move on. There are successes ahead!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't ever feel stupid! Bindges happen to the best of us! The good news is you know what you did and how to get back on track! Not giving up and logging on MFP is a great way to move on! Losing weight is a journey and what journey doesn't have bumps in the road? Pick yourself up, dust off and move on. :) Feel free to add me if you'd like. I love all the support from my MFP friends! :)
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is a long road. There are bound to be a few pot holes. Don't let them send to spiralinng toward the exit ramp.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Dont let a slip or two mess with your head. Be gentle with yourself and move forward. Forgive yourself for binging and move on with your healthy living. Think about how much better you feel now that you are eating better, and exercising. It makes all the difference in the world!!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    How much do you have your deficit set at? If you have it set to 500, you are real close to maintainence. If you set it at 1000, then you are still under you maintainence. If you give up, it will have won. If you keep fighting, you will win. I think you will win in long run. Just remember, what is 10 days to the rest of the days you have to live. :)

This.

At worst you 'just' maintained yesterday - if you are set at a 500 cal deficit. Maybe try and get a handle on why this happened but then move on and start again. Good luck.

Plus 1200 is very hard for some to stick to, I exercise a lot so that I can eat more. I'd be starving on 1200. So maybe uping your activity level might make you less likely to binge or up your calories a bit (1350 perhaps) - it could be easier to stick with.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Bah, it was a night. Chances are you'll actually see some progress now that you had a freak out. This is a lifestyle, not a prison sentence.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    So you ate some chocolate. It's not so bad. Just don't get into a binge cycle of doing it everyday.

Log it and move on. Don't let it ruin your journey to getting the body and fitness that you want - the key is never giving up no matter what.

It takes an extra 3,500 calories to gain an extra pound so you havent gained too much from it. Just work it out and keep moving.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Eh? A deficit of 500 is NOT very close to maintenance for a lot of women. a 500 calorie deficit for me is almost a 30% decrease. That's doable but pretty tough. A 1000 calorie deficit per day would leave me a net of 800 calories,

To the OP, I notice you're on 1200 as a goal. I managed it for a while but after about 6 weeks, I was cracking and craving food. I upped to 1400 and I'm still losing at around 5lbs in 6 weeks, but without feeling so obsessed about food and fewer binges. (I'm 5'1, and 139lbs)
  • Cheekyhead
    Options
    Take a breath and start over. Remember, you're in control, kick cravings BUTT! :D x
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i'm glad that you can admit that you are human and stumble every once in a while. don't worry about it, that little bit of chocolate will not make you gain all that weight that you lost so far. if it makes you feel any better i've pretty much been on a plateau for the last 3 months only losing MAYBE a pound a month! not the kind of numbers i want to see but until i want to put that extra effort into it, that is what i will get. so relax today is a new day and you know you can do it just refocus on what your goals and priorities are and you will get your desired results.
    Good Luck on the rest of your journey
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hey that happens to all of us at some time or another. Today is a new day!! Start again; I have been battling the worst case of PMS ever and have eaten everything and anything. OH well can't take it back so I will start again today. Good luck to you.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the encouragement. I've been doing very well, and I know exactly why I ate all that chocolate. My husband has been out of the country for the past month and a half. I'm an emotional overeater, and last night I was missing him especially much last night, and I went on autopilot. We've been married for 12 years now, and when he has to go away on business for a couple of months at a time, it's harder.
    Also, thanks for mentioning that my little binge may shift my plateau. I needed to hear that, and it really encourages me to keep going.
    When my husband comes home, it will be so much easier.
  • nauti2012
    Options
    "Don't let a bad day, turn into a bad week"..... I look at this everyday... If I slipup, I just start again, I don't let it get me down....
    Good Luck and keep up the awesome work....
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, when I binge its WAY more than 600 calories :) don't worry about it, and don't punish yourself. It happens to everyone! FYI, I LOVE pancakes, and when I make them I use the same recipe I usually use just leave out the sugar. Than measure out a couple tablespoons of syrup and that's all the sweetness I need.... still not GREAT for you, but it gets the pancake fix in :)