Equipment for home gym

Options
2»

Replies

• Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    power rack with pull up bar and dip station attachments, adjustable bench, olympic bar, lots of weight plates, weight plate tree, floor padding, a copy of Starting Strength

^This would be all I would need! I am curious as to the goals for both you and your son, as they may be different. He is 16? Is he preparing for football and/or something of that nature? Then the above is about all he will need. Do you do strength training and aim to lift heavy, then this is all you guys need! These can be bought new, bought at craigslist, even built!

Now if your goals are more cardio minded, then you need to look into the cardio equipment that would best serve. It all depends on what your (and your sons) goals are. If he is training for strength and you are training to run marathons and don't plan on strength training, this needs to be kept in consideration.

HI, My goals are to tone up all over, having lost all this weight. My son is overweight and has started to lose weight and wants to get fit,along side his weight loss.

You can get by pretty basic.

An adjustable bench (found mine on craigslist) that will go from flat to 90 degrees and a set of adjustable dumbbells. Adjustable dumbells (I went with PowerBlock to get stuff I wouldn't "outgrow" quickly) but they are pricy.

Technically you can get all your cardio in without buying anything (run/bike outside) or really inexpense buying a jumprope, but I bought a treadmill.
  • agriffiths73
    agriffiths73 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If your immediate goals for you both are toning and weight loss respectively, then I would focus more on cardio stuff, a bike, rowing machine maybe. Not too much money, as someone said, check Craiglist or similar to see what others don't want, and get a programme together between you, with some targets to meet, not too silly to get you going or you'll lose interest.

Lifting and big weights wont help to start with, you need core strength and stamina first, get the heart pumping and start to lose the weight.

Maybe walking together may be good to do too - keep each other company and enjoy time together.