Equipment for P90X?

Options
Hey guys,

I just ordered P90X from Craigslist and was wondering what size dumbbells I need? I am a girl and have never done any kind of lifting besides 3 and 5lbs for 30DS. So I have 3lb and 5lb and that's it.

I am going to buy a pull up bar and already have a yoga mat.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

Replies

• JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds like your on the right track, you may need 8lbs too my wife usually goes with 3 ,5 and 8s.
    There are alot of push ups, you may want to grab a set of push up stands...You can get them at any sporting goods store.

Also bands would be good too if you have difficulty with the Pull ups, they show you how to use them off of the pull up bar in the vids.

Its a great Program, Have yet to see anything that can compare !

Good Luck and Congrats on Starting it !!! Keep pushing play !! once you get it :)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest some 10lbs to 20lbs. There are several exercises that you will need heavier weights. I've done the program and I used 8lbs up to 25 lbs. Enjoy it, it's a great program.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would just get the bands and try it out before investing in dumbbells because you will improve quickly and need to keep buying heavier ones. The bands can be adjusted to the proper difficulty and you can use them for pull-downs instead of doing the chin-ups/pull-ups.
  • courtneyleem
    Options
    You may also want a 10. I was using the 10 by the second week, maybe even a 15 for a couple exercises. If you don't want the extra weights, do extra reps.

Also, the push up bars really help.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I bought my wife a set of Gold's Gym barbells that let you choose your weight from 5-25 lbs. If you get a chance do a google search to see what they look like.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What you have may be good to start but as you progress you may want to get heavier dumbells. The bands are good. Check out ebay and craigslist for used or better pricing.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have done a few rounds of P90X and you will love it!!! If you need any tips during your workout let me know. The only other thing I would say to consider, that hasnt already been said, is a Heart Rate Monitor. THe good ones are a few buck, but they help monitor the intensity of your workouts for the cardio workouts and the strength ones as well. I have a Polar FT7 you can get them from anywhere sports related or even Best Buy. Well worth the mony I promise!
  • CoachAdrian
    Options
    I've been doing Beach Body workouts for about a year. I've completed P90X, P90X2,Insanity, and now I'm doing Body Beast. My Girlfriend is currently doing a P90X/ Asylum hybride and she can go up to 20lbs. No she isn't big or muscular she is toned! I would recommend getting weights up to 25lbs to start. It is usually more affordable if you get adjustable weights but if you can swing individual dumbells that works the best. I know you may not be able to curl 25lbs but it gives the ability to grow so your results won't stagnate. I hope that helps you. If you need more advice about your program as you begin or just have general questions I can help. I'm a BeachBody Coach and have my own site dedicated to Beach Body programs. If you don't already have a Beach Body Coach and are intrested let me know and I will give you my web address. Take care
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've used the p90x plan before and it is great. The one thing I found is I have no motivation to work out at home so I need to go to a gym, if you find yourself in the same situation keep in mind that all p90x workouts translate to a gym easily and then you won't need to purchase and equipment and will always have the next size up as you progress. I would watch the videos to learn the moves then take the work sheets with me when I went to work out, it was great
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a band to throw over the door for pull ups because I don't know how to use the power tool to install my pull up bar, lol! I also have a set of adjustable weights that go from 2.5-12.5, one of those cool mats that go under cardio equipment (they absorb much more shock than regular yoga mats and are heavier so they don't move around as much), push up bars, and a good recovery drink mix. Not the stuff from beachbody, but one recommended by my chiropractor.

Good luck and have fun! Oh! Also have a set of 15 lb free weights that I needed as I got further into it and needed a little more weight.