Mid-morning hunger

Options

Replies

• bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack around 10-10:30 and drink a lot of water.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I wake up about 830 typically and drink a bottle of water(sports size bottle, it's 21.7oz...yes I drink the whole thing) then about 30 minutes later I eat breakfast...and I take about 20 minutes to eat it(even though it's only 3/4 a cup of cereal) then I sip on water until about 1130/noon when I have a snack usually fruit of some kind which gets me through to lunch which I don't normally eat before about 2pm

But that's just me
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I do small meals and snacks throughout the day. In fact I am getting ready to eat 1-cup of blueberries since I am hungry...
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i split my breakfast in half, had half at 8 and the rest when i got hungry at around 10am

solved the hunger issue without additonal calories :smile:
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 7:30am, then a snack at 10:30. I try to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism up.
  • grumpster72
    grumpster72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me, spreading out what I eat and drink seems to help. First, I'll have a cup of coffee, then wait before eating a small breakfast, and follow that up with a glass of water. I'll repeat that same routine later in the morning.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may want to just consider eating extra small meals, or a snack in between. I tried for 8 months to come up with a breakfast that got me through to lunch, and I just couldn't! So instead, here's what I do:

When I first wake up, before my morning workout I will have a serving of fruit.
    After my workout I have a cake batter protein smoothie (I'm addicted) and either whole wheat toast, whole wheat french toast, or whole wheat pancakes.

This usually holds me over until about 10:30, at which point I will eat a serving or two of whatever veggies I brought to work that day. Today, I had a serving of baby carrots, and a serving of cucumbers at 10:30. The rest of the office looks at me like a weirdo when I am eating a bunch of veggies at 10:30, but idc! I'm hungry damnit! hahaha :]

I know that wasn't what you asked, but I hope this helped!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the breakfast skippers. My calories and hunger are much better controlled with this approach.

If you look at some of the leanest people on the site, many are breakfast-skippers and/or intermittent fasters (not me yet, but I hope to be among them soon!).

You have to do what works best for you and your body.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Skipper here. I have my lunch around 230 and it completly controlls any hunger issues that I used to have. Makes it so much easy for me to stick with my diet when I get to have a few large meals at night. Note this does not work for everyone. My fiance tried it a few days and said she felt even more hungry. Might want to give it a shot at least cause it has completly changed my fitness jorney.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nuts are the best for me. I usually eat peanuts because they are the cheapest.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I ration caloires to allow for an Adkins....160 or half of a Muscle Milk 110.
    Both are low carb with Atkins being the lowest.

That'll hold you till lunch.

Lisa
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I seldom have any hunger during the morning since I started skipping breakfast. Hunger signaling is somewhat adaptive to feed patterns.

I'm not suggesting this as a tool for everyone, but for some, it works very well.

this,
    eating breakfast first thing in the morning can actually increase hunger, you might want to try delay your breakfast to 10 am, or skip it completly. Once I started skipping, I stoped being hungry, before I was starwing around 11 am (I had breakfast at 8, lunch at 14)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the breakfast skippers. My calories and hunger are much better controlled with this approach.

If you look at some of the leanest people on the site, many are breakfast-skippers and/or intermittent fasters (not me yet, but I hope to be among them soon!).

You have to do what works best for you and your body.

oh and this, I was looking for this link :)
  • XaviAvant
    XaviAvant Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Usually I have to force myself to eat something, because I know if I don't eat when I get off work (I don't eat lunch at work btw) I'm gonna be REALLY hungry throughout the day no matter what I eat. Usually a bowl of cereal or a PB&J on Double-fiber wheat holds me until dinnertime.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I break up my meals as well, but when I drink a green monster smoothie, I can usually stave off eating until lunch! Its 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach, 1 frozen banana - sliced into chunks, 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 Tbsp ground flax, 1/2 cup vanilla nonfat greek yogurt, 1/2-1 cup unsweetened almond milk. Seriously delicious, filling, and lots of protein. I have one 2-3 times/week!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says "do not, under any circumstances, even if you are really busy, ever for any reason skip breakfast, because your metabolism will be sluggish all morning and you will snack later on during the day."

I understand. But this doesn't mean what you've read is correct.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529025-a-compilation-on-meal-frequency

The above is referenced with external links and studies, please take a look and then view the sites it maps to.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Anyone else deal with mid-morning hunger? I feel like I could eat a whole meal at 10 AM. Basically, I'd like some people's meals that they really feel like get them all the way to lunch.

The best way I found to make it all the way to lunch (or further) is to not eat breakfast at all. When I ate breakfast I was digging into my lunch bag by 10am. Now I just have black coffee.

I follow Fast-5. There ARE physiological reasons why eating leads to more hunger and not eating leads to less.
    Reading the overview and/or the booklet at www.fast-5,com explains a lot, even if you don't decide to do any form of IF at least you will understand what is driving your hunger.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Everything I've read says "do not, under any circumstances, even if you are really busy, ever for any reason skip breakfast, because your metabolism will be sluggish all morning and you will snack later on during the day."

WDR you could expand your reading list. That breakfast is the most important meal of the day is "brought to you by the good folks at Kellogg's" and their friends in the food industry.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I seldom have any hunger during the morning since I started skipping breakfast. Hunger signaling is somewhat adaptive to feed patterns.

I'm not suggesting this as a tool for everyone, but for some, it works very well.

I like the strategy for splitting my breakfast into two parts. Eating two very tiny breakfasts instead of one bigger breakfast. Still, I only allow myself 300 calories for breakfast. It's hard to break this down into two breakfasts--maybe 1 egg and piece of fruit at 6, and a greek yogurt at 9....
    there is zero scientific evidence that says you need to eat breakfast. Total daily calories throughout the day is what matters, timing of them is not important
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump to read later as I have the same problem regardless of how much breakfast I eat!