Net Calories - can you exercise to much

Options
I am new to MFP (5 weeks) and have a question. I normally eat about 1900-2200 calories each day. (what an eye opened when i fanally started tracking calories). When I work out, I normally do 60-90 minutes on the elliptical so my net calories are between 900 and 1500 - 6 out of 7 days each week.

Can you work out too much? Eating more seems counter productive, especially when I have so much stored energy (fat) inside me.

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a net of 1500, never less, you should see the weight fly by
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can you work out too much?
    Seems so, "I am exercising like mad and not losing" is quite a common complaint.
    Eating more seems counter productive
    Indeed, Exercising less is mathematically equivalent.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Just make sure you're not netting below your BMR.

Yes you can workout too much. You body needs time to recover and rest in order to repair the damage you do during exercise. Thats what builds you up fitter and stronger from prior workouts. R&R is extremely important. You need at least 1 but should get 2 days a week minimum for recovery IMO.

I only workout 3 days, sometimes 4 MAX.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options

Yes you can workout too much. You body needs time to recover and rest in order to repair the damage you do during exercise. Thats what builds you up fitter and stronger from prior workouts. R&R is extremely important. You need at least 1 but should get 2 days a week minimum for recovery IMO.

Would light exercise such as Yoga or Tai Chi be still considered R&R? Or is it stop all exercise and relax?
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options

Would light exercise such as Yoga or Tai Chi be still considered R&R? Or is it stop all exercise and relax?

Depends on what the other days are like and how intense they are. If you're doing CrossFit, HIIT or resistance training 3x a week and doing light to medium cardio in between, I would say skip the Yoga or Tai Chi in favor of R&R.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating that elliptical burn? It sounds like you are getting 1000 calorie burns? That would be an overestimate for MOST people.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I get in 4 days a week MAX as well. Might mix in a bike ride or something, but usually you're daily routine will get you through the R&R period (cleaning, mowing, etc..)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    How are you calculating that elliptical burn? It sounds like you are getting 1000 calorie burns? That would be an overestimate for MOST people.

a 300 pound individual could easily burn 600 calories an hour on the elliptical. I agree that many people overestimate though.
  • jaysayres
    Options
    I use what the machine calculates for calories burned. It's not as accurate as a HRM, but better than nothing.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I use what the machine calculates for calories burned. It's not as accurate as a HRM, but better than nothing.

can you afford a HRM? I would say stick to 1500 NET as a minimum and monitor your progress for 4-6 weeks before changing anything.