My husband says I shouldn't fake it... what do you think.

Options
kre8ed
kre8ed Posts: 6
I love to bake and I love to make desserts. I am also very carb sensitive so even a little bit is disruptive in my weight loss. I have been looking into low carb alternatives to sweets and desserts but my husband says that if it isn't necessary to our eating plans then why push it. He is able to just cut all those things out without missing them but I need a bit more variety in my life!! So I am looking for any opinions, recipe suggestions, and thoughts on the whole fake it or not issue! =)

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    If it is something you can live forever without, then cut it all out.

However, if not, I would think faking the treats would be a better alternative. There are ways to make baked goods that was way better for you than the traditional. I find somethings taste better too.

I unfortunately don't have a recipe for you, but I know they are out there.

(I love baking too and I won't give it up, I just do it less and do it better)
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    checkk out SPNluver recipe blogs. she remakes TONS of sweet treats and really makes them work in the dieters world. she also just started uploading vids to youtube, so she'll be doing lots of baking vids too :) also i know skinnytaste.com is a good site, maybe check that out too! im sorry i cant be much help, im not much of a baker! lol
  • Suezq92
    Suezq92 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you should go for the low carb version. If you are like me and cut sweets out completely then I end up binging and feeling sick. I say low carb in moderation is your best bet. Good Luck and Happy Losing.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    definitely do the low carb version if you can't cut them out completely. i am not carb sensitive, but i have been experimenting in the kitchen because i love sweets and chocolate is my weakness. so far, everything i've made has been fantastic! including the black bean brownies i made last night. when i was mixing it together, my husband's response was "i am NOT eating that". he had 4... :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and I love to make desserts. I am also very carb sensitive so even a little bit is disruptive in my weight loss. I have been looking into low carb alternatives to sweets and desserts but my husband says that if it isn't necessary to our eating plans then why push it. He is able to just cut all those things out without missing them but I need a bit more variety in my life!! So I am looking for any opinions, recipe suggestions, and thoughts on the whole fake it or not issue! =)

It sounds to me like it IS necessary to your plan, so do what you need to do.

Personally, I avoid the fake stuff. I prefer a little of the real thing and haven't found a sugar alternative yet that tastes good to me.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I thought completely different when I read, "my husband says I shouldn't fake it" lol
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I thought completely different when I read, "my husband says I shouldn't fake it" lol
    Me too at first LOL
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You weren't the only one and I was going to agree with her husband!! ha!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Me too. Then I saw it was in the recipes forum. :laugh:
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you are sensitive to carbs, then you have to do what is right for your diet. There are PLENTY of recipes out there that give you healthy alternatives as well.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think you should fake it.....Make him think he's amazing.......wait....wut?
  • lizw123
    lizw123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have what you like BUT in moderation. I have a daily allowance of chocolate that keeps me on the straight and narrow. It also removes the allure of the "forbidden". I also love to bake, but I bake mostly for others, church fetes, gifts for friends etc, entertaining etc. There are certain substitutes that I would be willing to try. For example, there is a replacement made from "stevia", a naturally sweet herb. I would be very careful about what substitutes you use, as some chemical ones are dubious in my opinion. Aspartame for example has been linked with all sorts of horrible things like multiple sclerosis. It also tastes bad! I would never, ever buy sweeteners unless they were all natural.
  • Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So, I took the title the wrong way.. But I guess this answer works for what I thought you were asking and what you are actually asking..

Does it benefit you at all if you do fake it?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in not restricting anything. It's just about learning self control and how to eat in moderation with proper portions. These days, if I want a cupcake from time to time, I will have one. But I've learned not to eat them every single time they're offered to me. Most of the time, I turn them down.

Learning those skills are much more beneficial because they're much more sustainable than never eating cake again.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Check out Kalyn'skitchen.com Its a recipe website based on the south beach diet so lots of low carb.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If its something you really want, make it, have a portion and then share it with friends/coworkers/shut-ins/etc. If it's freezable, try it in single portions. If not, like I said, share it. They'll appreciate the treat and you will have it out of the house.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and I love sweets. When I started mfp I went on a 4 or 6 week detox from desserts, sweets, and chocolates. It really helped me to get a handle on my sweet tooth and cravings. My son and I are gluten free, and it's important to me that he not feel that impact with his peers. In school, everyone wants to celebrate their birthday and what not, so I have cup cakes, cake, cookies, whoopee pies, and what not on hand now and I rarely even think about the fact that they're in my house. There's no "I have to eat this or make that because it's calling my name." However, I do have that stuff now and am for the most part satisfied by moderation. I think that the complete removal of it from my life, and the insanity I felt by the crazy cravings for the first 3 weeks, helped me get a handle on my consumption. I don't think that there is such a thing as bad food (except fried sticks of butter) but there are definitly bad eating habits and compulsions.
  • lizw123
    lizw123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PS I also thought this was a different kind of post! I was going to ask her husband if he'd rather catch her yawning, checking her hair for split ends or even reading a book. Not that I would know ANYTHING about that sort of thing of course!
  • kre8ed
    kre8ed Posts: 6
    Options
    I have made the Black Bean Brownies and they are fabulous!! =) They are what gave me hope that there is an acceptable alternative!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Nobody wins when you fake it