Chobani Yogurts

Options
I am loving the nonfat Chobani yogurts - especially the blood orange and pomegranate. But these are really high in sugar. I have gotten pretty bored with plain Greek yogurt...is it so bad in indulge in the flavored, nonfat variety?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie goals and I think you'll be fine. Is there a particular reason (medical or your preferences) you're trying to avoid sugar?

Have you tried buying some frozen fruit, and adding it to plain greek yogurt? Or possibly adding some protein powder? There are alot of ways to dress up plain yogurt.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    why would it be bad? if you're within your calories, enjoy it! You're still getting the benefits of the Greek yogurt, and the pleasure of a little fruit.. Go for it!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    why not get plain and cut up ur own fruits and granola or oatmeal into it so you're adding ur own sugar and grain w/o all the factory stuff
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    Add your own fresh in season fruits to the plain yogurt. I also like to add uncooked oats and seeds. So good!
  • TigersLions
    Options
    Great question and thanks for all of the suggestions to work with plain yogurt!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Didn't read the comments, so I apologize if someone already said this.
    Get the plain greek and add mio or crystal light or anything you would use to flavor a drink. Works suprisingly well and kicks that sugar to the curb(:
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I always buy the plain and mix in my own flavors. Current favorite is sugar free maple syrup (I use hungry jack), it tastes like caramel!

But, today I'm eating fresh blueberries mixed in.

I also like to use it in place of mayo/sour cream in savory dishes.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    AS long as you have no medical reasons to avoid sugar (and as long as you are not say sitting around eating a jar of sugar) I wouldn't worry about the sugar in Greek yogurt much. I think the benefits of the yogurt outweigh the sugar amount (and if you sugar is getting high, find out what ways you can reduce it while still enjoying your yogurt). I eat one almost every day as a good part of breakfast or as a nice snack to keep me full until my next meal.

PS- blood orange, black cherry and passion fruit are my favorite flavors!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    it's whatever, but I found that by including these it did a job on my carbs and I was giving up too many ice cream nights. I have mine with frozen berries, elderberry syrup (which is supposed to be good for your resperatory system), jello instant pudding mix, and protein powder . . . such a protein boost and very tasty.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'll do the plain yogurt with some fresh fruit and honey/ agave mixed in. I think it's much tastier than the other stuff!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I love those yogurts. They are filling and have a good supply of protein. :)
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    a drizzle of honey on plain yogurt is delicious, and then you can control how much you use! Or just go ahead and have the flavoured yogurts once in awhile for a change, but maybe not every day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll also say that adding a little bit of your own fresh fruit will liven up a plain greek yogurt quite well. It will be a smaller amount of sugar and carbs added and none of the cane syrup they add.

Though, my most common go-to is some vanilla extract and/or some cinnamon.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the comments, so I apologize if someone already said this.
    Get the plain greek and add mio or crystal light or anything you would use to flavor a drink. Works suprisingly well and kicks that sugar to the curb(:

Wow! I never thought about doing that! Great tip!
  • mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I know personally because I am trying to lose so much weight I have decreased my sugar intake by quite a bit, so I understand the view of trying to avoid sugar, in high amounts it is unhealthy and will be stored as fat. If you're eating them in moderation I'd say you're fine, if it's more than that then consider cutting back to save the sugar spike. I used to love those things too but decided for myself to only use the plain greek yogurt and to flavor it myself.
    Some things I do with the plain:

-mix in unsweetened cocoa powder or sugar free hot chocolate mix and freeze (it's like ice cream!)
    -flavor with the Mio water flavoring
    -add fruit, granola, agave and cinnamon

I also just use my yogurt in smoothies and shakes and to make my protein ranch.

hope this helps! :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I get the plain and add honey oat whole grain granola. :d so tasty
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 a day. After seeing some of these suggestions I'm going to try plain. Primary reason is you can buy plain in bulk! Thanks everyone!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The sugar comes from the fruit. We should all be getting solid servings of fruit anyway so I don't see any reason why you would want to avoid it. Enjoy it. I love Chobani. The people at the grocery store always get a chuckle of it when I make my semi-monthly trip and I come through the checkout with 30 cups of it. :) It's great stuff!!
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I'm cheap, so I buy the plain or vanilla in bulk and add my own stuff to it.... best with mango, strawberries, and blueberries.....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The sugar comes from the fruit.

And some of it also comes from the evaporated can juice they add. ;)

Funny (to some, to others, I'm sure it won't be) story about Chobani yogurt - a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were talking on Twitter about Greek yogurt and the brand name Chobani got mentioned in a tweet where I stated I only ate plain Greek yogurt because of all of the sugar and carbs in the fruit ones.

At that point, the Chobani company twitter account butted itself into our conversation and said that all of the sugar came from the fruit. To which I replied with pretty much the same thing that I just said here about the cane juice. They then replied saying that they needed to be able to make it taste better and if I don't like the added the sugar to just eat the plain ones. To which I replied that if they'd actually paid attention to what I written in my initial tweet and didn't just jump into the convo with what they wanted to say that they'd know I already said I do exactly that.

My friend, who works in branding, basically then tore into their company practices of inserting themselves into any conversation that they just happened to be mentioned in. Any time after that, he purposefully spelled Chobani wrong to keep their searches from finding his mentions. Until he tried their yogurt for the first time a little bit later and made sure to spell their name right in his very bad review of their yogurt.

Neither of us have heard from them since. heheh