Advice on Ab Workouts

Options
My goal is to burn fat and build muscle and get lean enough to at least see a bit of a 6-pack in my abs. Besides eating a relatively low-fat, clean diet (I allow myself 1 junk meal a week) I also do a 30 min HIIT cardio 3 days a week and a 60 min HIIT cardio 2 days a week.

In order to give my muscles time to grow and recover, I would normally not work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. For example, Mondays - Upper Body Strength Training, Tuesday - Lower Body Strength Training, Wednesday - Upper Body Strength Training, etc. You get the gist.

However, I've heard different theories on Abdominal muscles. Currently, I work both my upper and lower abs everyday. I've been told that you can work Ab muscles everyday; and then again, I've been told that there should be a 24 hour recovery time between working the same muscle group.

Should I work my abs daily or would every other day give me better results?

Your expertise please. Thanks!

Replies

• gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    IMO, like any other muscle, your abs need recovery time, so I would say give them a day of rest. Although it's really impossible to not use your core, so there is no true "rest" day, but IMO keep the ab-focused workouts to 2x or 3x a week. Also, it's my understanding that you shouldn't do HIIT cardio more than three or four times a week. HIIT workouts need a day of recovery too.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    your abs will get a better workout if you concentrate on stabilizing them during your lifts. Deadlifts, squats, pushups, pullups..etc.

You won't see your abs unless the fat covering them starts to go down. A person can do crunches till the cows come home and still they might not come out.

YOUR glute and leg muscles are bigger muscles than your abs. Work them hard and you will burn way more fat and will actually see your abs than if you concentrated on your abs which is a much smaller muscle.

I know..I know..you probably doubt what I say.

I used to be one of those doubters..but no longer.

Burn those leg muscles ...abs pop.
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    gxm17 - I didn't realize that I shouldn't do HIIT Cardio more than 3 or 4 times a week. That's good to know. Maybe I'll keep with my 3 - 30 minute HIIT Cardio a week and then do 2 60 minute regular cardio - going for that longer fat burn.
  • yummymummy65
    Options
  • yummymummy65
    Options
    your abs will get a better workout if you concentrate on stabilizing them during your lifts. Deadlifts, squats, pushups, pullups..etc.

You won't see your abs unless the fat covering them starts to go down. A person can do crunches till the cows come home and still they might not come out.

YOUR glute and leg muscles are bigger muscles than your abs. Work them hard and you will burn way more fat and will actually see your abs than if you concentrated on your abs which is a much smaller muscle.

I know..I know..you probably doubt what I say.

I used to be one of those doubters..but no longer.

Burn those leg muscles ...abs pop.

I believe you. I know that I should work my glutes and leg muscles because they're a bigger muscle group and that the increased muscle will help burn the fat. How long were you working your legs before you started seeing a change in your abs?

Also, my problem is, I have this somewhat flabby lower ab. My upper abs are okay - not fantastic but my lower ab has a little pooch which drives me nuts when I'm in a bikini. I'm thinking that leg lifts will help tighten my lower abs. What do you think?
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    That can help too...

But be aware of "false fat"

I tend to bloat alot and drinking tons of water helped tighten my lower belly. Also be cognizant of posture!
    Seriously. I have an excessive anterior pelvic tilt..Just fixing that alone made my abs contract and my lower belly tighten up.
    I sometimes get lazy(it's a hard habit to break after walking around for years with the wrong posture!) and have to remind myself to fix that tilt and *poof* goodbye lower belly pooch! If I am not aware of it..my lower abs will stick out.
  • yummymummy65
    Options
    That can help too...

But be aware of "false fat"

I tend to bloat alot and drinking tons of water helped tighten my lower belly. Also be cognizant of posture!
    Seriously. I have an excessive anterior pelvic tilt..Just fixing that alone made my abs contract and my lower belly tighten up.
    I sometimes get lazy(it's a hard habit to break after walking around for years with the wrong posture!) and have to remind myself to fix that tilt and *poof* goodbye lower belly pooch! If I am not aware of it..my lower abs will stick out.

I wish i had false fat! lol

I'm going to blast it with my leg workouts and work my abs every other day.

Thanks!