Sweet potato fries

Options
Cindy393
Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
Can anyone tell me the best way to make these in the oven? I did diced sweet potatoes before, but they dried out, so I think I cooked them at too hot an oven.

I want to make fries tonight and want them to come out yummy!

Replies

• pamkaess
    Options
    I slice them into slices or make them into sticks. (slicing seems easier) Then spray with butter flavored cooking spray and toss with a little sea salt. The spread them out on baking sheet at 350 deg for about 15 min then start checking them every couple of min to make sure they do not dry out until they are done. About 20 min total usually depending on how thick the slices are. The cooking spray helps keep them from drying out too quickly while they cook.

Hope that helps :)
  • chefdak
    chefdak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy: Here is my recipe for awesome sweet potato oven fries:

Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and cut into spears, like steak fries.
    Place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil just until they are coated.
    Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you like on your fries.
    Sometimes I sprinkle a little cinnamon on my sweet potato fries.

Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 15 minutes. If you like them crispier you can bake a little longer but keep an eye on them so they dry out.

Enjoy.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    thanks so much ladies!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Par boil with a little vinegar

Dry Well

Toss with duck fat

Roast in a 500 degree oven till crispy on all sides
  • cneug
    cneug Posts: 1
    Options
    Here's a trick I learned... fill up a bowl with water and add just a teaspoon full or so of oil (not olive because that oil doesn't like high temps). Add your potatoes a handful at a time and when they come out, they have a light coating of oil on them, enough to keep them from drying out. I cook mine at 400 until they are done.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Coat in non-stick spray or grape seed oil and roast in the oven at 350-400 deg F. Be sure they are spaced out well. When placed too close together they do not crisp up. Also, line your pan with foil for easy clean up.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have my fries fairly thick. I toss mine with some spices (onion powder, garlic powder), parmesan cheese and a very small amount of oil and some water. Put them on a tinfoil lined backing sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I cook them at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until they're no longer crunchy inside.

They are so good, I prefer them to take out fries.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Here's a trick I learned... fill up a bowl with water and add just a teaspoon full or so of oil (not olive because that oil doesn't like high temps). Add your potatoes a handful at a time and when they come out, they have a light coating of oil on them, enough to keep them from drying out. I cook mine at 400 until they are done.

Wow, what a great tip. Thank you. I may try these tonight too.
  • girlznme
    girlznme Posts: 28
    Options
    bump for later
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options

Brilliant. Also, I have found that cutting potatoes into even thickness rounds rather than the usual fry strips to be helpful.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I cook mine as above, tossed lightly in a bowl with a little oil also sea salt, black pepper, dried chilli flakes and paprika - you can experiment with various herbs and spices tho. Mmmmm sooooo good! YUM!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A few nights ago I sliced a sweet potato into rounds, tossed in a little olive oil and salt & pepper, and put them on the grill - they came out great!