LA Marathon?

Options
I'm thinking about doing the LA Marathon.. has anyone ever done it? If so, what were your thoughts? It's in March 2013. :)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good run and a great one for first timers (IMHO). I've run it 5 times now, including the last 3 years (since they changed to the current course).

Despite being net downhill, it is a tough course with a couple late climb (so train for hills late in the race).

Let me know if you need more info, but I would pick it over most other races here in So Cal.
  • lucyclementmiller
    lucyclementmiller Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks @arc918. i'm actually from North Carolina but i have friends who live out there and would like to do that race.
  • lucyclementmiller
    lucyclementmiller Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do have a question... do you know how quickly this race sells out? I see registration opens october 1st but i want to wait until Jan at least to register.... do you know?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Great race since they've switched to the new course. I've run the new one twice (the old one once), both were BQs for me due to the net downhill course. It usually doesn't sell out very fast, if at all. I would definitely run some hills in there...there is a section (by the Veteran's cemetery in West LA, around 19-20 miles in) that is hot, kind of desolate (no crowds) and slightly uphill. It can be killer. Overall, its a great experience.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sell out fast at all and I wouldn't expect that change. People historically have signed up at the expo. Not sure I would wait that long, but it isn't like Marine Corp or something that sells out if a couple hours or a week or two.

Logistics can be tricky if you are from out of town, I think staying down the finish (Santa Monica) and taking the race bus to start in downtown works best.

I really like the new course, I think it highlights some of the best of LA. But those late climbs (the VA and then up into Santa Monica) always get me. The last 3 miles are downhill or flat, but you need to have enough gas in the tank to take advantage of the downs.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm going to run the LA Marathon also. Feel free to add me! Sorry I don't have any feedback, as it will be my first time running it.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing the LA Marathon.. has anyone ever done it? If so, what were your thoughts? It's in March 2013. :)

You can get some additional info about it over at runnersworld.com

Check out the link to the Forums and you'll see that there's a forum for California Runners.
  • dela1000
    dela1000 Posts: 62
    Options
    I ran L.A. in '09 before they changed the course. It was one of the hardest and most rewarding things I've ever done. Totally worth it.

I used this training program Scroll down a bit): http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html

I still run and I'm training for a half in a couple of weeks. Add me if you like another virtual running buddy.