The NSV that almost gave me a heart attack!!

Options
kori333
kori333 Posts: 174 Member
I go to Zumba twice a week at my local church. Been doing this since February though I miss here and there. Today both of our usual instructors were gone so someone who's there every week stepped up to teach. A newer song from our playlist came on that she didn't know well enough to lead. It's my favorite one and I may have been practicing it at home. :blushing: Before I knew it I was volunteering to lead that song just because I didn't want them to skip it. I am a solid BACK ROW kind of person so I don't know what I was thinking! I started leading when about 5 seconds in to it I realized my nerves on top of an already high heart rate from dancing had my heart beating so fast I thought I was going to pass out!:laugh: I made it though the song somehow and ran back to my comfort spot in life, the back row! I checked my HRM and my max target is 162 while I was actually at 182! It took the rest of class to get it to slow down to under 170!

I'm not at all scared of public speaking but I guess public dancing is a different story. :blushing: Still I'm proud of myself for doing it! Back in February when I started going I didn't know if I'd even come back a second day since I was so horrible at it, yet today I actually led a song!

Replies

• loriwarner
    loriwarner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!!! And now you know you CAN do it, you did!! I'm impressed by your courage.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Way to go but I also have a question my heartrate stays at almost 185 to 190 most of th time is this not normal??
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO! what an amazing NSV experience for you!
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    Thats so awesome! Way to go!!!! I bet you kicked butt at it too :D
  • helen0616
    Options
    Nice!!
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^

high 5
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    oooo Well done!! Which song was it?? I love Zumba!
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Way to go but I also have a question my heartrate stays at almost 185 to 190 most of th time is this not normal??

Depends on your weight and intensity of your workout, I do Zumba myself and got a max HR of 188 for todays workout. So don't fret too much :)
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    Awwwweeeesooooomeee! I love Zumba! Great job!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

If that's your resting heart rate then no! That is not normal. Resting heart rate should be between 60 and 100 really. If that's your heart rate when you're working out then it's high yeah but not the end of the world. Maybe see a dr and get it checked out.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great work - maybe one day you will be teaching the class all the way through! :wink:
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!!
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story!!! Thanks for sharing. Made me smile from ear to ear :bigsmile:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww, how sweet! What a wonderful experience you had (((hugs)))
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!! :drinker: I'm the same way so I can relate!
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

It depends on your age I think. I'm 30 and around 162 is the Max for my workout target zone according to my HRM. Not that my heart can't go faster, that's just my range to try to stay in.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww, I love this! Way to go!
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options

If that's your resting heart rate then no! That is not normal. Resting heart rate should be between 60 and 100 really. If that's your heart rate when you're working out then it's high yeah but not the end of the world. Maybe see a dr and get it checked out.

Lol yeah sorry I should have meantioned this too just incase!! ^^^^ :laugh:
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Your max heart rate is estimated by 220 minus your age for guys and 226 minus your age for women.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!