I'm embarassed to even ask....

Options
However, I started out on the treadmil and lost a lot of weight fairly quickly.

But, my shin splints and my knee (which was dislocated about two years ago) were not agreeing with this workout.

As a result, my mom suggested a Richard Simmons DVD. *ducks behind anything out of shame* LOL But, I tried it, and there's no pain for me. It's a complete workout - my heart rate is up, I'm sweating and breathing a little heavy....

My question is, am I not working out hard enough now? (For boys - earmuffs) It's also that time of the month for me, and I'm actually noticing a couple pound gain as opposed to loss like I'm used to. Is it because I'm not working out as hard as I used to, or is it because it's that time of the month?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Janis:blushing:

Replies

• OntheSand
    Options

But, my shin splints and my knee (which was dislocated about two years ago) were not agreeing with this workout.

As a result, my mom suggested a Richard Simmons DVD. *ducks behind anything out of shame* LOL But, I tried it, and there's no pain for me. It's a complete workout - my heart rate is up, I'm sweating and breathing a little heavy....

My question is, am I not working out hard enough now? (For boys - earmuffs) It's also that time of the month for me, and I'm actually noticing a couple pound gain as opposed to loss like I'm used to. Is it because I'm not working out as hard as I used to, or is it because it's that time of the month?

Thanks guys!!!

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just wait a week and weigh yourself again. I used to retain water. Cute name:bigsmile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably bloating from water weight gain. I'm sure it's just a result of your period. Here is an article from always.com:

Other common physical discomforts caused by the onset of menstruation include bloating in the abdomen, swelling of the ankles, feet and hands, water weight gain, and lower back pain. While taking aspirin or ibuprofen may help alleviate some discomfort, here are a few things you can do to proactively avoid bloating1:

* Exercise regularly (three to five times a week) to help rid your body of excess fluids.
    * Avoid sodium, which can promote bloating.
    * Increase your intake of high-fiber foods — fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds — to help prevent constipation.
    * Get enough rest. Your body may have different sleep requirements at different times during your menstrual cycle.
    * Keep a three-month symptom diary or log to record the type, severity and duration of your PMS symptoms.

If your PMS symptoms are severe enough to limit your ability to function, be sure to call for an appointment with your doctor.

Reference

1 MUSCHealth.com Health Encyclopedia, "Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)," Medical University of South Carolina, 2005.
    Have a Happy Period For Moms Product Selector beinggirl.com Ask Iris, Ph. D.
  • Judiann
    Judiann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on your salt intake prior to your cycle, to help with water retention that goes along with your menses. You could also try drinking ginger tea, it helps with swelling and bloating.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I just gotta say, how was the Sweatin' To The Oldies?:laugh: I know, I know..my mom loves Richard Simmons too. He looks pretty sweet in those shorts. Woo Woo!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio but when I did sweatin to the oldies I loved it and saw results!! (they were my moms)
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    Too bad he doesn't have a "Sweatin' to the Speed Metal" I might actually try it....
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I keep being tempted by the Jane Fonda workouts (they're on DVD now), so don't be too embarrassed.

I would chalk the two pounds (earmuffs, guys, LOL) to your "special lady time". I still get this, in fact I'm right there with you. I have a week a month I don't even get on the scale anymore. (I can go up as much as 5 pounds. . .oh the tears I've gone through).

If you're moving, and your body is able to do it, that's positive. I think for everybody "working out hard enough" is different. Heck, it's different for me everyday. Do you have access to an eliptical or a stationary bike? I have a knee issue that keeps me off the treadmill, too and those help me. I can actually walk a lot, but for whatever reason, the treadmill just doesn't work for me.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Too bad he doesn't have a "Sweatin' to the Speed Metal" I might actually try it....

LOL. Can you picture Richard Simmons jammin' to Metallica, with several tattoos, a nose piercing and a mohawk? All the while, still wearing his silky short shorts!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    hey... i like richard simmons... he makes me laugh.

I heard somewhere that your metabolism goes up while on your period... It doesn't seem like it because of water retention... but that's what i read somewhere
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yea!! I'm glad someone else likes Richard Simmons too. I use him for my cardio, that is when I got to do cardio. Will pick up with him in a couple of months!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Thanks guys!!!

Not only does my weight go up when "aunt flo" comes for visit, my measurements are off too. In fact I had a weigh at my doc's office and they made me come back a week later b/c it was so off from the previous weigh in. A week later I went back and there were big changes. I have learned not to even bother weighing in or wearing "skinny" jeans until "aunt flo" packs up and leaves!

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an elliptical machine??? Much easier on the knees and burns a heck of alot of calories!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    Hi there, just wait a week and weigh yourself again. I used to retain water. Cute name:bigsmile:

It's funny, I'm almost done with my visit from Aunt Rose (tee-hee) and I'm back to the weight I was before all of this started. Sometimes, I really hate being a woman!!! :)

And thanks for the compliment on my name! :o)

Happy Friday!!!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably bloating from water weight gain. I'm sure it's just a result of your period. Here is an article from always.com:

Other common physical discomforts caused by the onset of menstruation include bloating in the abdomen, swelling of the ankles, feet and hands, water weight gain, and lower back pain. While taking aspirin or ibuprofen may help alleviate some discomfort, here are a few things you can do to proactively avoid bloating1:

* Exercise regularly (three to five times a week) to help rid your body of excess fluids.
    * Avoid sodium, which can promote bloating.
    * Increase your intake of high-fiber foods — fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds — to help prevent constipation.
    * Get enough rest. Your body may have different sleep requirements at different times during your menstrual cycle.
    * Keep a three-month symptom diary or log to record the type, severity and duration of your PMS symptoms.

If your PMS symptoms are severe enough to limit your ability to function, be sure to call for an appointment with your doctor.

Reference

1 MUSCHealth.com Health Encyclopedia, "Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)," Medical University of South Carolina, 2005.
    Have a Happy Period For Moms Product Selector beinggirl.com Ask Iris, Ph. D.

Thank you so much for the useful information!!! It makes a lot of sense, if you ask me!!! :o)
  • OntheSand
    Options
    Try cutting back on your salt intake prior to your cycle, to help with water retention that goes along with your menses. You could also try drinking ginger tea, it helps with swelling and bloating.

That's an interesting thought... Next time around I'm gonna try that and see how it works... And ginger tea, huh? Maybe I'll go pick up a box after work today!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I just gotta say, how was the Sweatin' To The Oldies?:laugh: I know, I know..my mom loves Richard Simmons too. He looks pretty sweet in those shorts. Woo Woo!

LOL It was actually 80's Blast Off!!! :o) I swear... it's the spandex that keeps me going!!! :laugh:
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I hate cardio but when I did sweatin to the oldies I loved it and saw results!! (they were my moms)

Ya know, I hate cardio too - but his videos really work the ENTIRE body... I hurt in places I didn't even know I had!!! :oP

And what is it with Mom's and Richard Simmons? :laugh:
  • OntheSand
    Options

Hmmm... Something tells me that Richard wouldn't be able to keep up with Speed Metal! Though it'd be fun to watch him try!!! :)
  • OntheSand
    Options
    I keep being tempted by the Jane Fonda workouts (they're on DVD now), so don't be too embarrassed.

I would chalk the two pounds (earmuffs, guys, LOL) to your "special lady time". I still get this, in fact I'm right there with you. I have a week a month I don't even get on the scale anymore. (I can go up as much as 5 pounds. . .oh the tears I've gone through).

If you're moving, and your body is able to do it, that's positive. I think for everybody "working out hard enough" is different. Heck, it's different for me everyday. Do you have access to an eliptical or a stationary bike? I have a knee issue that keeps me off the treadmill, too and those help me. I can actually walk a lot, but for whatever reason, the treadmill just doesn't work for me.

I know!!! I've gone up about 4 pounds during all of this and it's soooo crappy. You get so used to losing and then WHAM... your body puts you in check! :o) Like I said - sometimes I really hate being a woman!!!

You're exactly right... there are some days where I kick *kitten* at Richard Simmons' routine and I own him... :laugh: and then there are days where I can barely make it through the Flashdance song!!!! LOL I'm not a maniac on the floor!!! But I sure as hell am dacing like I've never danced before!!!

Now, if only I could find a chair to slide into and someone to pour water on me.... :):laugh:

Have a great weekend, hun!!!