Diet with no exercise

So I've attempted the whole weight loss thing a lot in the past, and I tend to go straight in, proverbial guns blazing. Which is great, for about a month, at which case I get burned out and go eat three Big Macs.

So now I'm trying to ease my way into it. I started eating healthier today - tracking my calories, going to cut out pop Monday through Friday, trying to eat more veggies, drinking more water, being more aware of what food goes into my mouth as a whole.

I am not, however, going to start exercising yet. I want to start incorporating exercise into my routine in two or three months, when eating better has become more natural to me and I get used to it. I will probably do things like go for a walk at work for 15 minutes or something twice a week. But no full on cardio, no boot camps, no weight lifting or 30 Day Shred.

Is this something that sounds like a bad idea? I know that exercise has a lot of good benefits outside of just weight loss and I definately need to get moving more, but I really don't want to start yo-yoing on this again. I'm at the heaviest weight I've ever been at and I'm 31 so I really want to get it in gear. But I don't want to sabotage myself by trying to do too much.

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    I know a lot of people who have lost weight succesfully without exercising. I think the difference is, is that you look more toned when you exercise and add in some weight training.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    No I dont think thats a bad idea at all. Personally, if im doing this, im doing this, so i tend to go crazy on the exercise too. But i totally get what you mean, i dont think it would be detrimental at all, you'd be used to the eating then introducing some gradual exercise, nothing wrong with that. Remember to do some strength training when youre ready if you want to avoid the skinny fat look.
    Good luck, one step at a time!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    I am with you. Trying to take on too much at once can be overwhelming. I have been revamping the way I eat and then I will move on to full on workouts. I take a walk with my toddler just around the neighborhood in the afternoon before dinner or go out for a walk on my lunch break but that is about it for now. I lost weight before (50lbs+) with this approach and am now trying to take off the baby weight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I plan exercising once I hit a plateau. I think exercising like crazy when you start a diet..slows progress. No one ever admits that..but it does.. losing weight and getting toned and shaped are two different things. Why not save exercise for later in a diet when weight loss slows or stops? That's my plan.. (also I lost way quicker last time when I didn't exercise and was shocked!)
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    You can definitely loose weight without exercising but as everyone says once you lose that weight you will want to tone up or your skin and muscle won't look as great on your smaller body. I don't like to exercise as a whole but I do make myself park at the farthest parking spot and use stairs and take the long way around when I go somewhere. Do what you know you WILL do and work from there! Best of luck!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Progress beats no progress.

However, eating at a deficit means your body is going to start burning energy you already have on board to make up the deficit. To keep the discussion simple, that energy takes two forms - stored fat and stored muscle.

Exercise tends to force the body to retain (or at least slow down the loss of) muscle. Forcing the body to retain muscle means you will tend to burn more fat.

It's a lot easier to retain muscle now than it is to rebuild it later. Plus, retaining muscle means your body will burn more calories, which is going to come in really handy when losing that last 20 pounds.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. It's all about staying in a calorie deficit. Log your calories, stick to your calorie goal and you will lose weight.
  • I'm not exercising to lose weight. I have a horrible history with two gyms in my area where they double charged my account or add hidden fees as they go, and nowadays you can't get a membership without giving your social and bank account out. /rant

So I'm just cutting calories and eating foods I like in smaller portions. Go for that Big Mac, just one with a side salad as a side, every Sunday. It's doable for the long run.

And you can still burn calories doing fun stuff (like window shopping at the mall, walking around a huge museum for an hour or two, become an air hockey champ.)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    I've lost 10 pounds in two weeks by simply cutting my caloric intake down to around 2400. Once I get comfortable with that I'll drop down to 2000 a day. I live with chronic pain, making exercise problematic. As long as you eat less than you burn, you will drop pounds.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Progress beats no progress.

However, eating at a deficit means your body is going to start burning energy you already have on board to make up the deficit. To keep the discussion simple, that energy takes to forms - stored fat and stored muscle.

Exercise tends to force the body to retain muscle and therefore burn more fat. It's a lot easier to retain it now than rebuild it later.

^This
    I can understand that you want to start slowly with the exercise and not go in "guns blazing" for fear that you'll burn out and quit, but in reality, if you're dieting and not exercising while still losing, you are losing nearly equal amounts of lean mass and fatty mass. Even if your exercises are something small like the old military classic of push ups and sit ups, it will do wonders to help you lose considerably more fat than muscle, making the overall experience a healthier one.

When I started exercising several months ago, before I decided to start focusing on my weight and pants size, I just did as many push ups and sit ups as I could do in a row without stopping in the morning right after I woke up. That got it out of the way early, and it only takes a couple of minutes. Plus, you'll see improvement in the amount you're able to do over time, which is a huge motivating factor!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Since you joined in March, you've had some time to establish some new eating patterns.
    How about looking around for the exercise that you can feel you will stick to and hopefully enjoy. I'd suggest something FUN!
    Do you like to swim or dance or take long walks? How about riding a bicycle; its low impact, fun and a used bike can be a good start.
    My favorite is Jazzercise because I love the music and our local Jazzercise is very friendly and upbeat. Their instructors have helped me modify when I need it and there are ladies at all fitness levels there. They also have strength training classes.
    How about water aerobics or walking at a local park? Want to stay in front of the TV, then a stationary bike, elliptical or treadmill would be good options. Many local malls have "Mall Walking" to walk indoors before the stores open. OR how about Martial Arts? I practice Tai Chi, but martial arts come in many varieties...try one!
    I'm just saying, exercise is in more places and opportunities than just the few you hear about the most. You will stick with it longer if you find some exercises you enjoy! For reading, is suggest Covert Baily's "Fit or Fat" he has good suggestions.
    Good Luck and get moving!
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    I am going to wait to start exercising also...probably once I hit "onederland" I will start religious exercising. right now I do a couple of work out dvds once in a while and I go for walks a lot and every now and then I will hit up the gym.. but other than that I don't exercise too much.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    First 4 months of this new start I did not exercise at all and still dropped what I'm dropping now. But I like the exercise and I'm very happy I started doing it. Exercise has not helped me lose what I've lost, it's just helped me feel better. I don't eat back my exercise calories, every time I do I don't lose or I gain some, so no more trying that, but it works for some people.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    seems like a very good idea. i personally find the weight comes off slower with a lot of exercise.
  • I stated one thing at a time. I stopped drinking soda first, then mosted onto my food in take, and then moved into the exercising. It worked great....because everything is on track with my eating once I started exercising I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks....You have to find what works for you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I know a lot of people who have lost weight succesfully without exercising. I think the difference is, is that you look more toned when you exercise and add in some weight training.

I haven't had trouble losing without doing more exercise than just walking after dinner every day. I have always walked to work and always take stairs, etc.

I'm starting to feel guilty because of the posting about being 'skinny fat', but I am still successfully ignoring them all. My walking is now up to 5MPH, which is about as fast as my jogging used to be.

The important thing is to GET STARTED doing whatever you're ready to do now.
  • bchgrl8
    bchgrl8 Posts: 55 Member
    I think everything in moderation..and if you find something that works for you, great! Personally given things up one at a time work, or starting something new, little by little is easier then going full throttle for some...you have to do you!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Doing something is better than doing nothing. Why not find something you enjoy and would like to keep doing? It could be running or Zumba, or rollerskating or hiking, or bowling, or karate .....anything!
  • NuggetBrain
    NuggetBrain Posts: 526 Member
    Thanks to everyone, this has been very helpful. I joined back in March but I half-assed it until May when I just quit altogether. So this is a re-start for me.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    I've done it both ways. You can absolutely lose weight without the exercise. If you think that will help you ease in and stick to the plan then go for it. Eventually throw in some exercise though. First off, you earn more food that way, always a good thing. Second, it makes you feel good. Third, you get muscles and muscles are hot :) Just don't overdo it and burn out. I've started doing weight machines at the gym 3x a week for maybe 15-20 min (sometimes just 10 if I'm short on time) and the difference it's made in just a couple months is amazing. Good luck!