Best way to track your calories burned? Fitbit?

I do core boot camp 4x a week and run the other 3. Some research on the internet tells me that I should log my boot camp sessions as circuit training in MFP. A half hour boot camp session registers as 215 calories for me. I don't believe it! Obviously, every "circuit training" session is different. At mine, we do spurts of cardio, then spurts of strength training, then cardio, strength training and repeat so our heart rate is always pumping. I am SPENT after half an hour of this as opposed to the running I do for nearly an hour. SO what's the best way for me to get a more accurate idea of what I burn at each boot camp session?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    heart rate monitor?
  • ridge1980
    ridge1980 Posts: 46 Member
    Heart rate monitor would probably be best. I have the fitbit, but I use it primarily to make sure I am active enough during the day when I am not working out. I sit at a computer all day long so the fitbit makes me aware of my steps and activity level. For my workouts and runs, I ALWAYS use a heart rate monitor to accurately track my calories burned.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    My Fitbit is great for tracking things like distance and general caloric burn over the course of the day, but it lacks in some areas. Mainly, it's not a heart rate monitor so things like my strength training aren't that accurate. I love the thing, but I'm going to add a HRM soon for workouts.
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    definetly heart rate monitor. when I do jillian michaels 30DS my HRM reads about 180 calories burned in the 25mins and when I log it as circuit traingin on MFP its only like 3 off at 177....I really love my HRM it definetly make me workout harder and longer :)
  • What type of HRM does anyone recommend?
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Polar FT4 is the HRM I have and I love it. Look online (Amazon) for cheaper pricing. I even got free shipping. SO worth it!
  • Heart rate monitor would probably be best. I have the fitbit, but I use it primarily to make sure I am active enough during the day when I am not working out. I sit at a computer all day long so the fitbit makes me aware of my steps and activity level. For my workouts and runs, I ALWAYS use a heart rate monitor to accurately track my calories burned.

2nd this! I have and love the fitbit - but it's more suited towards more casual activity. A HRM would be the best if you want a really accurate number.
  • Thank you. I'll look at Amazon!