How do you measure your mile?

Replies

• dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Have used all above plus Nike+ (sensor), Nike+ GPS (now Nike Running), iMapMyRun. Endomondo, Strava....

I like Nike+ the best because at the end of the year it does this amazing data analysis of your entire year's running, what your average distance/speed etc was, how much faster you got...how you compare to your age group/gender etc etc... Its fab!
    I use the Nike Running app too.
    A question for YOU do the Nike+ (sensor) and nike Running sync? I run on the dreadmill at least once a week, and as well know the GPS apps don't work so well there. I'm considering getting the sensor. Is it all seamlessly input to the same Nike account?

I belive everything Nike+ sync's.

I think the app does a great job with running on the treadmill and I use it almost daily. You just have to make sure to keep the phone in your hand while on the treadmill. (I asked Nike because I was unsure and thought I could keep it in my pocket)

7747072612_13feab3bb4.jpg
    IMG_3409 by dandaninc, on Flickr
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    You can also use Mapmyfitness. There you can draw your route. They also have a GPS tracking device. One thing about using GPS is that if your iPhone is in your shorts you get misreadings. It will say you've gone further than you have as well as faster.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    I use my fitbit. I think as long as u use the same method for consistency...
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    If I'm interpreting the question right, I use the Nike+ app on my iPod. It tracks your distance throughout your run and keeps you updated with how far you have left to run. It's pretty handy :)

Nike+ for the win! App is awesome paired with my shoes I love it!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    I used my car. I have a 1-mile loop and a 2-mile loop I used the car odometer to measure out. If I'm running in the park, I make sure to take my iPod, it has the Nike+ system that gives me a decent estimate of distance. :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Have used all above plus Nike+ (sensor), Nike+ GPS (now Nike Running), iMapMyRun. Endomondo, Strava....

I like Nike+ the best because at the end of the year it does this amazing data analysis of your entire year's running, what your average distance/speed etc was, how much faster you got...how you compare to your age group/gender etc etc... Its fab!
    I use the Nike Running app too.
    A question for YOU do the Nike+ (sensor) and nike Running sync? I run on the dreadmill at least once a week, and as well know the GPS apps don't work so well there. I'm considering getting the sensor. Is it all seamlessly input to the same Nike account?

I belive everything Nike+ sync's.

I think the app does a great job with running on the treadmill and I use it almost daily. You just have to make sure to keep the phone in your hand while on the treadmill. (I asked Nike because I was unsure and thought I could keep it in my pocket)

7747072612_13feab3bb4.jpg
    IMG_3409 by dandaninc, on Flickr
    I've definitely had better luck with it in my hand (versus pocket). However, IT and the treadmill never agree....
    Great news about all the NIKEs syncing!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch.

This for me. Or I map it out in Google maps after or before the run and figure out the distance.
  • Thanks I thought it was kind of a silly question but I guess not :)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    My vehicle odometer. Yep, I'm a low-tech hillbilly!

Good to know I'm not the only low-tech person on here! lol
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I have a Garmin 610. And for the days that I forget to pack the watch with my running gear (it happens...insert eye rolling smiley here) I use runtastic on my phone.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I check the route beforehand on Google maps with directions.
  • Derinq
    Derinq Posts: 52 Member
    I use Endomondo (android) - useful, maps the route, though my phone needs some time to get a gps signal so I wait a minute or two to let the signal catch up before I actually start :) But that's phone dependent - the better the gps in it, the faster it gets synced with the satellites.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    google maps ahead of time.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    I have an impecable knack for distance and location.

Plus I use my truck to ride from the start to finish to figure it out or do it on a track.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    One step at a time.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    My running coach tells me where I run and the distance it will be...hahaha
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I use map my run, before that I would plot out my route on google maps, hubs drives his route first and then runs it.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    I track minutes. I know almost to the seconds how long it takes me to complete a mile.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    you can go to walkjogrun.net and create a profile and then chart your route and it will tell you how far it is.
  • I used this website:

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

But these days I use the gps on my phone. The gps also gives you elevation data so you can plan better and save your energy for the uphill parts.