Loose Skin Help Needed

Options
Ok I have lost approx 23 pounds since I started all of this. I'm worried about loose skin. I'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen. I've upped how much I drink in fluids a day, I'm gonna start putting lotion on me at night, and I heard about body brushing...does that really help? If so what do you do and what brush do you suggest? Any other suggestions etc?

Replies

• Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any tips for you. But loose skin is a huge fear of mine as well. I sure hope there is a way to avoid it. :flowerforyou:
  • mekutataki
    Options
    According to my doctor the loose skin will lessen as protein intake increases. I had the gastric sleeve done a year ago, and that's all I know. Also, sad to say, but the older you are, the less likely the skin will recede as its natural elasticity lessens every year we age. Hope that helps and I didn't make anyone sad, that's just what I know.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Skin stretches, it contains a molecule called elastin. If the skin stretches too much the elastin breaks and the elasticity has gone. This happens at 40% fat. The skin will show tear marks or stretch marks.

Skin can also 'grow' beyond 40%.

This varies by person though and fat distribution. Thus some have excess skin on arms neck, tum and some don't.

Excess skin needs surgery.

Slower weight loss helps elastin reform, and the younger the more elastin.

No set rules here.

That's all I know. Have lost over 30 kilos very slowly and minimal xs other than tummy.

Not worth surgery but weight loss so worth it.

Jasmin
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I've been losing about 2 pounds a week. I've just been seeing on here though, though heck if I can find, where people were talking about body brushing for their loose skin, and drinking lots of water, and also the lotion. That's why I'm curious as I want to start doing that myself to prevent it. I haven't noticed any loose skin but I'm scared I'm gonna see it and freak out.
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight, but unfortunately have put about 20 back on, so we're working on that again. When I was at goal, I saw a plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, I had loose skin that will not go away without surgery. I had lost 70 pounds. So definitely saving up for that procedure, as I still felt "fat" when I shouldn't have been feeling that way, all from the loose skin.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    There have been people on here who say that strength training helps tighten that up...
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Strength training will add muscle to fill out the skin. Improving circulation will help with collagen repair and make the skin 'plumper'.
    It takes up to 2 years for elastin to repair itself. Hydration will help with appearance of the skin.

Elastin is a long complex molecule made of amino acids. There are several types of it. It is broken down by elastinase. Tomato with lypocene helps elastin formation coconut (when eaten) has an essential fatty acid which helps bind elastin ( no one knows how much is needed in the diet)

Rubbing creams in will only help circulation.

Mari
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Been doing the weights with my biggest loser work outs and 30 day shreds. Anything about a body brush though? I can't seem to find a lot of info about that.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Strength training does help ALOT. It takes time though.