NSV - Push Ups

Options
murphy612
murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
This is the first success story I've posted, although I'm proud of all the successes I know I've made lately I usually just keep them to myself, but this one has made me so proud I had to share. I can finally do REAL PUSHUPS! Yep, on the floor, no knees, "man" pushups. I did 24 of them today! I'm so excited because it's taken a long time. When I started my strength training I couldn't even do half of one and I had to start with modified pushups on a pretty high incline. Now I'm on the floor with the big dogs, hehehe!

Next stop.....gonna do an unassisted pull up....oh yea!

Replies

• JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    that is an awesome NSV! Congrats !!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thats so cool,
    I'm so jelous.
    How long did it take you to getthere, and which program( if any) did yu follow?
  • murphy612
    Options
    Thats so cool,
    I'm so jelous.
    How long did it take you to getthere, and which program( if any) did yu follow?

I go to a personal trainer twice a week and follow their program. It's taken almost 4 months (yikes). But doing them on an incline and continuing to lower the incline every other week or so is what did it. Oh and the plank, can't forget the dreaded plank for core strength which is a HUGE help keeping good push up form.
  • murphy612
    Options
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    great job! I've been slowly working my way up the pushup count as well. I'm up to 65.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Do the un assisted chin-up first. They are easier. Palms facing you. I started with one. Now I do 3 sets of six. Took a LOOOOONG time to achieve it. But you could do it.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    great job! I've been slowly working my way up the pushup count as well. I'm up to 65.

65 at one time?
  • murphy612
    Options
    Do the un assisted chin-up first. They are easier. Palms facing you. I started with one. Now I do 3 sets of six. Took a LOOOOONG time to achieve it. But you could do it.

Ok, will do! Thanks for the advice. 3 sets of 6 is awesome!! I've been doing both assisted, so I know it's going to take a VERY long time compared to the push ups, but that's ok, I've got time :smile:
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey don't call them man pushups!

;)

GOOD JOB! I remember when I first went into the military I could barely do 3. After I got out...I did 75 straight pushups. Awesome feeling and empowering. Keep going supergirl! Rock them pushups.

Hey, let's call them supergirl pushups instead of man pushups!

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
  • murphy612
    Options

Dang, that's awesome!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    These are also fitness goals i share... push up's with good form and unassited pull up. Congrats on your NSV!
  • murphy612
    Options
    Hey don't call them man pushups!

;)

GOOD JOB! I remember when I first went into the military I could barely do 3. After I got out...I did 75 straight pushups. Awesome feeling and empowering. Keep going supergirl! Rock them pushups.

Hey, let's call them supergirl pushups instead of man pushups!

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

That's why I put the man in quotes, I wasn't sure what to call them, ahahaha. Thanks, I think supergirl pushups is perfect!! I like you profile picture, you have a gorgeous physique!!
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Ok, will do! Thanks for the advice. 3 sets of 6 is awesome!! I've been doing both assisted, so I know it's going to take a VERY long time compared to the push ups, but that's ok, I've got time :smile:
    For me, I REFUSED to use the assist. I was determined. I didn't care that I couldn't do one. I walked in that gym everyday, marched over to the bar, asked the muscle head that was usually on the bar to let me in and try just one. He(different guy every day) would look at me and nod. I would struggle to do it and then walk away. And come back every single day, and repeat until I got it.
    Go for it!!! It is such a great feeling.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!

I did 24 for the first time today too!

Getting stronger is way better than what that stupid scale says.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Wanna know the best part? It takes HARD WORK to produce this!!! No diet, no "magic pills", no strategies or short cuts. Just good old fashioned hard work. And occassional grunting :wink:

Awesome NSV! Keep on pushing your limits!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is one of my goals too. I was just talking about it with my trainer tonight, so it's nice to come home and read of your success. :)
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Wanna know the best part? It takes HARD WORK to produce this!!! No diet, no "magic pills", no strategies or short cuts. Just good old fashioned hard work. And occassional grunting :wink:

Awesome NSV! Keep on pushing your limits!

THIS ^^^^^^
  • murphy612
    Options
    That is so awesome!

I did 24 for the first time today too!

Getting stronger is way better than what that stupid scale says.

Well then... Yea Us!!
    You are right about the scale too :-) 4 months ago I would have been freaked out by that fact that even though my body fat % is going down, I've actually gained two inches in my shoulders but not now. It just means heavier weights :-)
  • murphy612
    Options
    Congrats! This is one of my goals too. I was just talking about it with my trainer tonight, so it's nice to come home and read of your success. :)

You can do it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!