Entertain yourself while working out

Hello there! I want to get to exercising more, but my problem is that I become very bored while working out. I can only go about 20 minutes before I feel like I'm going crazy and want to stop. This is especially bad with just walking. Soon I will be going back to school and I will have access to the rec center where I can at least switch up my exercises (walk for a while, then cycle, then weights, etc). In the meantime I have found one very helpful tool - http://jog.fm/ you can make playlists that match the beat of your mile time so you can walk in time to your music! I made a playlist for walking and one for cycling and it helps a little bit! Anybody have any other tips?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    audible.com

I listen to BOOKS!

In the old days cassettes, then CDs, now audible or iTunes

I pick mysteries, scary stories, police stories you name it!

I ran 8 miles yesterday on the dreadmill while listening to a fun paranormal mystery.
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    What could be more entertaining (and motivating) than being chased by zombies?
    https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I watch music videos or concerts on my Android or print out lyrics to songs I want to learn and read those while listening.
  • RaquelQtie
    RaquelQtie Posts: 4 Member
    I go to the fitness classes (Zumba/Body works) at my gym. It keeps me entertained. They are 1 hour classes, but it goes by real fast.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    I know the feeling. As a teen I use to love walking on the treadmill because my dad said it was the only way I could watch tv... so now when I go to the gym and go on the ellpitical, I turn on my netflix.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    netflix
  • I have over 500 songs on my mp3 player that are all upbeat with different tempos. The different tempos helps during cardio excersices to change speeds throughtout each workout
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    BUMP! I have this problem as well which makes the idea of going to the gym less appealing (I don't mind the working out part but my mind being bored is torture). I used to watch netflix but unless its a upbeat movie I don't go my full 100% like I do when I'm listening to music. I also tried reading but I almost fell off the machine so yeahh not such a good idea. thanks for the website though! I'm definately going to have to try it!
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    I love Zumba and love the music. My teenage girls can't believe mom loves some Pitbull!
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    I read my nook when I'm on any cardio machines - I listen to music when I walk or run outside. So far that has kept me entertained!
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Music definitely helps, my gym has about 12 tv's but they alternate between three channels....the other day they had the bloody Food Network on. Really do I need to be watching Diners, Driveins and Dives while I'm sweating away on the elliptical!

I've discovered how to download movies to my tablet this has been a big help. I'm going to visit my sister in a few weeks and my brother-in-law has thousands of movies, I'll be downloading a ton of them to get me through the next year of workouts.
  • qwerty1953
    qwerty1953 Posts: 6 Member
    Audiobooks! They make the time fly! Although I find that sometimes it takes great music to get me really moving. Some of each! Love the iPod for exercising! Next best thing to going for a walk while talking with a good friend!
  • I MAKE ME A MIX OF "WORKOUT JAMS" JUST UP BEAT SONGS I CAN WALK TO AND SING ALONG WITH MAYBE WALK IN THE BEAT OR GET ON THE BIKE AND DO THAT WITH THE BEAT LOL AINT MUCH BUT I WOULD DO ALOTTA SONGS AND WOUDLNT EVEN BE PAYING ATTENTION TO WALKING JUST LISTENING TO MUSIC :) AINT MUCH BUT IT HELPS ME!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    I went to a water aerobics class where the instructor used an entire CD of ABBA songs! Loves me some ABBA! :blushing:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I finally realized that I just can't do anything to stop being bored during long cardio sessions (walking, running, bicycle, etc.) so I stopped doing those activities. I do much better with something that changes and allows me to use my energy more explosively.

I recently started using the Nike Training Club app (though I downloaded it more than a year ago and kept putting it off) and I love it! You only have to do 60 seconds (usually) of something before it switches to another exercise, making up a full 30+ minute workout. So I can go all-out the whole time (not having to worry about pacing), do something that feels good to me (I'd rather do pushups than dancing), and not get bored. I stand by the old adage, "The best exercise is the one you'll do!"
  • pozzicb01
    pozzicb01 Posts: 14 Member
    When im bored from working out at the gym I go to the park.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I bought a bike dvd that makes the exercise bike so much better! The time goes by so fast now. I used to just stare at the clock forcing myself to keep going. Now the dvd ends before I am ready. =)
  • Lindsey7486
    Lindsey7486 Posts: 2 Member
    I've done this! It's actually a lot of bizarre fun, right, Runner 5?