American Tourist Scared of Canadians Wants Gun

Options

Replies

• Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    THIS THREAD IS FILLED WITH SO MUCH WIN I THINK I MAY MOVE TO CANADA NEXT YEAR.....
    FOR REALZ
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    THIS THREAD IS FILLED WITH SO MUCH WIN I THINK I MAY MOVE TO CANADA NEXT YEAR.....
    FOR REALZ

Your know what I think is a win? Your awesome success, very inspirational. :flowerforyou:
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just thought I would mention that the Stampede is a hugh rodeo that goes off in Calgary every year....It is a really fun party and those from Calgary are pretty proud of it. I am from Vancouver, BC one province over and can attest that they are a bit more friendly and outgoing in Alberta and would probably ask a random person in the forrest if they have been yet, but forgot to mention what it is...lol.....perception is everything
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just thought I would mention that the Stampede is a hugh rodeo that goes off in Calgary every year....It is a really fun party and those from Calgary are pretty proud of it. I am from Vancouver, BC one province over and can attest that they are a bit more friendly and outgoing in Alberta and would probably ask a random person in the forrest if they have been yet, but forgot to mention what it is...lol.....perception is everything

I can attest to this. :)

We are an overly extroverted lot. And the Stampede is kind of Calgary's pride and joy.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I can attest to this. :)

We are an overly extroverted lot. And the Stampede is kind of Calgary's pride and joy.

I wonder if this guy would pull his gun if Mickey accosted him at Disney World? :bigsmile::laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I dont see what the big deal is. You use the gun if you need to, you dont if you don't need to. Really a win-win situation. I plan on getting my concealed carry license when I move back to the states.

I am one of the rare Canadians (and a woman too!) who agrees with you. Canadian firearm laws make it impossible to use them as protection. For instance, even in one's home a rifle must be locked in a cabinet or trigger locked and the ammo must be locked up as well. So, it's useless if your home gets invaded. It is almost impossible to get a permit to carry a hand gun.

So, while I think the writer of the letter is nuts and probably shouldn't have a weapon based on being so scared of people talking to him, it is quite true that only the police and criminals are carrying firearms.

I do take my firearm out on the land where bears are a real possibility, but I also think I should be allowed to use it to protect my family (I'm a single mom) if needed.

It's a controversial issue; many urban Canadians don't think that anyone should own firearms, even hunting rifles.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    so an american freaked out over nothing?

sounds about right.
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    so an american freaked out over nothing?

sounds about right.

NOW, NOW....DON'T HATE!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Without reading through the prior 5 or 6 pages of replies....I'll give my personal 2 cents. I am an American and I own guns. I no longer carry one with me everywhere I go, but at one time I did. My reason....I worked third shift and was attacked.

I believe that in a country where it is perfectly legal to carry a registered weapon, those who choose to do so are not in the wrong. If you don't want to carry one, don't. But, don't judge others that make the choice to keep themselves protected.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Without reading through the prior 5 or 6 pages of replies....I'll give my personal 2 cents. I am an American and I own guns. I no longer carry one with me everywhere I go, but at one time I did. My reason....I worked third shift and was attacked.

I believe that in a country where it is perfectly legal to carry a registered weapon, those who choose to do so are not in the wrong. If you don't want to carry one, don't. But, don't judge others that make the choice to keep themselves protected.

... Did you read the news story in question?

This fellow wanted to be able to carry a gun in Canada because some men approached him in a park in Calgary during the Calgary Stampede. Probably they wanted to sell him tickets. But for this he wanted a gun.

WHY would he need a gun in this situation? When he said no and walked away the men left him alone. A gun was not needed to handle this situation.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The argument is only outlaws and police will have guns...which I think is completely fine by me lol

I would agree with that. Generally, if you stay away from crime, crime stays away from you. At least the organized variety. The solution is more cops to keep the peace, not more guns in the hands of people not trained to deal with conflict.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

This fellow wanted to be able to carry a gun in Canada because some men approached him in a park in Calgary during the Calgary Stampede. Probably they wanted to sell him tickets. But for this he wanted a gun.

WHY would he need a gun in this situation? When he said no and walked away the men left him alone. A gun was not needed to handle this situation.

I DID read the story, and I didn't say that he should have had a gun. He's not allowed to carry one in Canada and I believe he should respect their laws. Nothing in my post had anything to do with him or his situation.
  • penrbrown
    Options

I DID read the story, and I didn't say that he should have had a gun. He's not allowed to carry one in Canada and I believe he should respect their laws. Nothing in my post had anything to do with him or his situation.

Oh thank goodness.

Personally I'm glad he didn't have a gun. That situation could have been really ugly.

You know there are countries where even the police don't have guns? And in such countries gun related crimes are significantly low.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's all cultural, everyone I know owns a gun. I have one, the only thing is that they are guns designed for hunting, which is what a lot of people do here. I think handguns and anything that is not used for hunting should be straite up banned in Canada, that might just be me though.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

I think that if I have a concealed weapons permit, that if I go to any other sort of place I should be able to carry my weapon. For what ever reason I feel necessary. Just like if you get married in Florida, your marriage is recognized everywhere else in the WORLD. So why not be able to carry elsewhere.
  • hottbutch
    Options
    haha that was hilarious. I live in Calgary and they were probably just drunk or looking to give away tickets.. When I went down to Memphis... Now that was scary!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

I think that if I have a concealed weapons permit, that if I go to any other sort of place I should be able to carry my weapon. For what ever reason I feel necessary. Just like if you get married in Florida, your marriage is recognized everywhere else in the WORLD. So why not be able to carry elsewhere.

Ummm.....no. Our house, our rules.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...because being married and carrying a gun are so similar :huh:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    it must be horrible to live in such fear all the time, glad I am not American
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This letter was published in the Calgary Herald. It was written by an American cop who freaked out when 2 Calgarians wanted to offer him passes to the Calgary Stampede on Nose Hill, a public park on a big hill in Calgary. This is his letter:
    +++
    "I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: “Been to the Stampede yet?”

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: “Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, “Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye.” They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know – it’s because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.
    +++++

My sister and my nieces and nephews walk on that hill all the time. It's a neighborhood park where everybody is friendly. I am SO glad that this feral man didn't have his gun on him.

My question is, do you think that he was behaving normally? Do Americans carry firearms with them when they go hiking in public parks in case they encounter strangers who might talk to them?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/walt-wawra/

We have the right to carry guns, the cop wouldn't have just freaking shot them, he probably would have said, "look, I don't know what you want, I told you to leave me alone and you won't, you are harrassing me, leave me alone or I will protect myself/my family/etc." He didn't say he was just gonna shoot them.

People also need to respect people's privacy and boundries, he told them to back off and they didn't, that's rude and aggressive, he had a right to be worried. Also, he wasn't worried that a strangers wanted to talk to him, they approached him, he was out numbered, and they didn't pick up on any of his social cues or listen when he asked to be left alone, that's not being "approached by a stranger," that's being harassed.