eating exercise calories.

cds2327
cds2327 Posts: 439
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, I am fairly new here, and yes, I read the newbie section...but I guess I'm dense. I need it explained to me with a simple yes or no, in idiot terms please.....
If I am supposed to eat around 1200 calories a day (as determined by the tools on MFP), and then I burn 500 calories during cardio, it bumps me up to 1700. So, (here's the yes or no part please), I want to eat around 1700 calories then?
How is that not just putting back on what I just burned off exercising? Or should I stay around my initial goal of 1200?

sorry, i know people might be annoyed and tell me this is covered in the newbie section, but I did read it.....three times, and I still don't get it. Help an airhead out please? :embarassed:

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Basically its because at 1200 cals daily, you have a deficit built in already. Your BMR (cals needed to run your body only) is probably around 1500-1700 therefore you are already decreasing your caloric by a few hundred and by not eating your exercise calories you burn, you are asking your body to run on about 7-800 calories.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Your 1200 calories already has a deficit built in- therefore you eat what you burn to maintain that deficit.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    When you signed up you had to set a goal of how many pounds you wanted to lose a week. This website then automatically gave you the number of calories you should eat to lose that much in a week. When you exercise you're burning extra calories, so you need to eat those back. So... Yes! Eat em up!

If you're goal is 1200 ( remember you already have a deficit built in)
    You burn 500 cals
    That means you are only actually taking in 700 calories for that day! :noway:

That's unhealthy and your body will want to hang onto every bit of fat it can because it's not getting enough nutrients.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Thank you all so much!! That's what I needed to hear. a simple yes!!
  • haha I had the same exact question and this helped me answer it too! You aren't the only one! Thanks :happy:
This discussion has been closed.