Motivation Tips ?

Options
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me I'm 18 and having been struggling with my weight since my early teens. I know what I have to do in terms of diet and exercise but how can I stay motivated. I find myself losing the same 10 - 15 pounds only to gain it back.

Replies

• NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound cliche, but you need to find your true motivation. What's the real reason (be honest with yourself) that you want to lose weight? Once you find it, I think it will be easier to exercise.

Sometimes for me, I have trouble doing it. Once I'm exercising, I'm fine. I tell myself in the morning, what I am doing later that day. If I exercise in the morning, I decide the night before what I am going to do.

Also, don't focus on the big picture. Focus on losing 5 lbs at a time, or walking/jogging a mile in a certain time. Keep the overall goal in the back of your mind, but having small goals along the way will help.

Hope this helps!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just DO IT.

Do not look 6-8 months ahead. Worry only about what you are doing TODAY.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nicole offered some good tips. I would say a few things. Some people do not truly believe they should be thin and sabotage themselves until they get to where they see themselves.
    Others look at a certain goal, reach it and relax, rather than looking beyond the goal.
    I would suggest goals after you hit your initial success goal and see if that helps.

My Best to You.
    Austin
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Baby Steps! Set small attainable goals and as you reach each one, set another!

An example: Perhaps you drink sodas; then you switch to a zero calorie soda; then you decide no sodas at all; then you decide no sweetened drinks at all! At the same time, you might drink work on upping your water intake. It' not very dramatic; but it's all the smaller choices you make that will add up to sustainable losses.

Slow & Steady wins the race every time :-)
  • Eternalera
    Options
    Thanks for the advice that seems like a great idea. I find myself overwhelmed when I think of how much I want to lose and how far I am from it. Taking it slow will be new for me but it's probably what I should have been doing from the start.
  • dragonflyjen
    dragonflyjen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well obv you need to find what works for you. Maybe join a monthly group where you check in with others regularly.

I started a Ripped in 30 group to do during the month of August, it helps knowing that as I started it I should be encouraging others. I also started a private facebook group where 5 of us who are doing Ripped check in each day to see how were getting on, and we plan on changing what our exercise mission is each month. Anything to help keep us on track.

But the fact your weight keeps yoyoing shows that whatever you are doing food wise isn't sustainable. So maybe you should look at your favourite foods and find tasty replacements that you can eat for life to keep the weight off...ie swap normal pizza for homemade pizza made with tortilla wraps, make homemade potato wedges instead of chips, choose frozen yoghurt instead of icecream... there are actually loads of options, but it's having the frame of mind to do it.

Feel free to message me if you want help or support. Good luck! :)
  • JJPAL1
    JJPAL1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! Mostly for having the insight at your age about your weight. I'm in my 50's and still deal with the same issues. Got up to 306, took 2 years to get to 135, but did it with strick grey sheet support group. Now deal with about a 50 lb up and down. Now at 200. This web site is the best for motivation, it is free, you just have to show up. Couple of tips, Don't eat no matter what, if it isn't on your plan, abb, DENW. Journal, wear clothes that fit, don't want to keep eating if your belt is tight! Don't go to long between meals. Like others say, you have to find what is right for you, keep changing it up a bit. I'm amazed how fast my body gets rid of the extra weight when I do things right. Wish you the best. One day at a time.
  • Eternalera
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Especially the replacing fave foods idea. My thing is convenience do you know of any quick and easy healthy meals and or snacks to have when your in a hurry?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!