Unhealthy Competition

Options
So physical appearance is some sort of messed up competition in my family. My mother is around 5'3 and usually weighs 190, my older sister is 5'6 and generally about 170 and I'm 5'4 and used to always be like 150. Now I'm 175 or so and my mother and sister have crazy diets going on and go running against each other every day (sister moved back home recently). They now both weigh less than me and I know that it's dumb, but I'm virtually devastated inside about this. I know I'd be more motivated if I was around them (they're 800+miles away) but I know it'd be unhealthy weight loss. My sister has lost 15 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks or something ridiculous.

I have flip-flopped on exercise motivation for months and now I'm feeling like poo because of the success being rubbed in my face from afar. I know I shouldn't go for quick weight loss because I'd screw up my body and gain it back anyway...but it's so hard.

Anyone else around people dropping weight in unhealthy ways or people who are mean about their weight loss? Aka "fatists", people who were fat and now hate on all non-skinny people?

Ranting, I know, but saw pictures of the fam today and I'm in some serious blaahs.

Replies

• vhardwick
    Options
    If I were you (and if you don't see them very often) I would go on a really healthy diet. Eat right, exercise, do all the right things, but don't tell them. Then when you see them again just blow them away with your accomplishment!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    you are a cute girl. I would not let it get me down. You keep doing it the healthy way and your weight will stay off. Your mom and sister are messing up their metabolism and will regret it later. By the way I checked out your profile and you have the same birthday as my mom.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If I were you (and if you don't see them very often) I would go on a really healthy diet. Eat right, exercise, do all the right things, but don't tell them. Then when you see them again just blow them away with your accomplishment!

I think the no tell - just do it right - is the best way:happy: Don't worry about the competitive attitude just be like the tortoise in the old familiar story, and win the race without the others knowing:bigsmile: It is truly possible for you, and it would be a sweet victory. I know you can do it:bigsmile: Press forward steadily :flowerforyou:

Best wishes for your efforts and achievements

I was 174 lbs less than a year ago before I joined this site and I'm now 65 years old, and at 146 lbs. A young enthusiastic soul as yourself can do it I know. My motivation is for a healthy heart. If you do this now instead of later you will never regret making the effort and doing it the right way!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the death of contentment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a good lesson for all of us!!!!

My sister can drop weight by simply thinking about it. We can go on a diet together and she will lose 10 pounds a month and I will lose 2!

When we started MFP together I made up my mind that I was going to encourage her but not compare what was happening with me to her results.

It is hard but... rejoice for your families success and remeber your success is awesome even if it is not as rapid.

BTW...I tend to keep the weight off easier than my sister does.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I would not worry about. My mother in law has always done fad diets and loses weight really fast, I chose to make healthy life choices and exercise. The difference is when she goes off the diet it usually comes right back. I may lose mine slower but I can cheat every once in a while and still keep it off. Do whats right for you!!:happy:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options

OOOOOOO!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I LOVE this idea!
    Go for it!
    We'll help you here.
    :heart:
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    And this is why I love this site so much :) This and the great food/exercise logs. I have some mini goals going, like my birthday, Christmas/new year's, anniversary, etc. and probably won't see my family for awhile. There's a 5-year class reunion back in my hometown this summer though...and I've been highly against going, but maybe if I'm feeling fabulous about myself physically (already rocking the career and love life departments), I'll have to make myself go so I can show it off a little! And I'd see the family and feel confident!

Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to know some people read my rant and identify!