Bit of an odd question for the ladies...

Options

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone :) I'm beginning to think it may be about the shape of the woman rather than the size.
    Lynn - have you ever walked 4 miles straight on a very hot day wearing a dress and nothing underneath but underwear? I hadn't experienced chafing until I did that. the sores were very angry and red and extremely painful. Now I'm too scared to walk any distance in a skirt or dress in case it happens again. I was hoping that I might get a gap once I lose weight but I'm almost at my goal and I'm not seeing one forming.

Also, I'm not wanting a gap because of how it looks, I'm wanting one because I don't want to be in physical pain any more when I walk long distances in a skirt or dress

If the "thigh gap" doesn't seem to be in your future (it may or may not, I don't know) in the mean time try a chafing gel on those days. Monistat makes a nice one. Smooth and dry with no friction :smile:
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The times when I've been thinner I haven't had a problem with it at all (despite not being able to see a difference in my legs).

That's interesting, so you think that the chafing may stop happening as I lose weight even though I can't visibly see a gap between my legs? That would be great!
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I would think it depends on the length of your legs really. None of the women in my family have ever had a gap but we're all vertically challenged as well. It's all in the distribution throughout your body.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I hate it and am working on 20 reps of abduction using a rubber band loop attach to the base of my exercise equipment to firm the inner thighs. When I get skinny, don't want my thighs to tough anymore. Definitely feels firmer.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Im 5'3" and even at 85lbs I still didnt have the gap. I also think its genitic.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Deodorant on the thighs works wonders in preventing chafing.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone :) I'm beginning to think it may be about the shape of the woman rather than the size.
    Lynn - have you ever walked 4 miles straight on a very hot day wearing a dress and nothing underneath but underwear? I hadn't experienced chafing until I did that. the sores were very angry and red and extremely painful. Now I'm too scared to walk any distance in a skirt or dress in case it happens again. I was hoping that I might get a gap once I lose weight but I'm almost at my goal and I'm not seeing one forming.

Also, I'm not wanting a gap because of how it looks, I'm wanting one because I don't want to be in physical pain any more when I walk long distances in a skirt or dress
    Why don't you wear some shorts? Who would walk that far in a dress?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It's very highly genetic. One of my best friends is about 40 lbs overweight and she has a gap (she has widely space hips). I, on the other hand, will never have one. I weighed 100 lbs in high school at 5' 6"--no gap. It's become a silly thing that young girls aspire to have. Some of the fittest, most muscular women I've seen have thighs that ~~(gasp) ~~TOUCH each other. :laugh: IT'S OKAY! Really, IT. IS. OKAY.

Just work on getting in shape and don't fixate on this (mostly) genetic trait. :flowerforyou:
  • fizzletto
    Options
    Im 5'3" and even at 85lbs I still didnt have the gap

Goodness, 85lbs? That is skinny... I'm 5'3" as well, 129lbs and I hope to be around 120 maybe a bit smaller.. Wow, maybe I never will have one then...

I really like the idea of cutting off a pair of tights to wear underneath dresses and skirts, I have loads of old tights I could use, thank you for that. I don't like wearing shorts underneath other clothes so that might be a great idea.

And the anti-chafing gel stuff sounds brilliant too. What do you do, just apply it before you go out for a walk/run?
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will ever have a thigh gap, but that is okay with me... i just don't want my thighs rubbing together.
  • jordandis
    jordandis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've accepted the fact I will never have a thigh gap.. even after training for a half marathon and doing Insanity
    it still wont go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    When I was at a healthy weight (BMI of 19) my thighs definitely still rubbed together. Only now, at an unhealthy weight due to health reasons (BMI of 16.5) do they have a gap. So no, you definitely do not need to have a thigh gap to be at a healthy weight!! It all depends on the person, too. Some people just have wider set hips than others.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The only time my thighs havent touched at the very top is when I weighed 90 lbs (WAY underweight and unhealthy). I just have to do the best I can with it, work hard to have strong legs and accept my body build.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Alot of it if not all, is based on how your hips are structured, if you have wide hips, chances are you will have a gap, not everyone gets them. it's not a sign of being under weight :) and thighs that touch aren't a sign of being over weight :)
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Ha! This is not an odd question, in fact, if you do a search you will find 8,765,382 threads about "thigh gaps" :noway:
    What's the big deal. I'm overweight, certainly don't have a thigh gap but don't get "sores" from my "chub rub" maybe I'm just lucky
  • fizzletto
    Options
    Why don't you wear some shorts? Who would walk that far in a dress?

Yeah, trust me, that only happened once. Never again. I didn't own any shorts at the time - I live in a particularly gloomy and overcast part of England which never usually has a proper summer, so they had never really been a necessary wardrobe item. Plus I was fatter back then and hated the way my legs looked in shorts. All I had were jeans and dresses. That day it was uncharacteristically baking hot and I absolutely could not face adorning denim so I had no alternative, and having never experienced thigh chafing before I didn't think about it.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Even if you don't have a gap, the rubbing and chafing should get better with weight loss/toning up those muscles. My thighs touch (like a LOT)--but they don't chafe or rub when I walk or run. I know that is really uncomfortable. :grumble: Try the body glide until you slim down the thighs a bit. I'm betting it won't bother you much at all then. :flowerforyou:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Deodorant on the thighs works wonders in preventing chafing.

That's brilliant! Will have to try that soon!
  • fizzletto
    Options
    Even if you don't have a gap, the rubbing and chafing should get better with weight loss/toning up those muscles. My thighs touch (like a LOT)--but they don't chafe or rub when I walk or run. I know that is really uncomfortable. :grumble: Try the body glide until you slim down the thighs a bit. I'm betting it won't bother you much at all then. :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much. That's just what I needed to hear. I apologise if I sounded like I wanted a gap because of the appearance. I think having a gap actually looks a bit odd, but I would rather have a gap than have awful chafing. I'll take your advice and use body glide and work on toning up my thighs. I will have to get googling for some appropriate exercises!
  • raechellg
    raechellg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have never had the gap. Even when i have had very muscular legs and not over weight at all.. i also have a seriously tiny hip span.. my sister who hips are wider has always had it.. and we both have long legs. so i'm gonna say it's a cross between hips span and weight.. obviously if u have wider hips and are 100lbs over weight you prob don't have the gap.. but if your pretty close to you ideal weight you probably do have it.. i will probably never have it lol