Snacks with protein with allergies

Options
I'm going through an elimination diet to find out what my nursing son is allergic to in my breastmilk. Our pediatrician has just added nuts which I didn't realize how much I depended on almonds. I'm looking for things I can take in the diaper bag when I'm out for a few hours. I can't have dairy, wheat and nuts... Any ideas?

Replies

• otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's a bit tough! Can you slip a small insulated lunch bag into your diaper bag? If so, how about cubes of chicken breast? Is soy considered a nut? If not, how about dried soybeans, or soy based yogurt? Or maybe a small cold dish made with quinoa?
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit? Apricots and mangos are good.
  • ItsMeDash
    Options
    How about a hard boiled egg? Soy nuts are good too. And they have a nice crunch. Wasabi peas? Good luck. Sorry your wee one is having troubles. Good health to you both!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the soy...check with your doctor on that b/c typically babies who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy...
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    what about apples? or a small ring pull can of tuna? Or even some gluten, soy daiy free protein bars?
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Jeez...this is tough. Fruit? Bananas are filling. You can't have egg or wheat either, right?
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    what about apples? or a small ring pull can of tuna? Or even some gluten, soy daiy free protein bars?

Again with the tuna check with your doc..she's breastfeeding..
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac and my son had similar cows milk via breast milk tolerance issues and nuts are my Kryptonite. Let's talk!

Fruit's good, but you want protein, right?

I really like cold bean salads and cold quinoa salads. Just throw them in a small container with an ice pack. I just add olive oil, lemon juice, a little onion, some parsley. Maybe a few raisins or dried crans. One thing I used to do is cube some tofu, fry the outer edges, drain, and put a small amount of sauce on it, like BBQ sauce. Or I would mash tofu into a tuna salad like dish, with a few crunchy veggies and some nutritional yeast. Edamame can be pretty good cold. Right now I am getting some protein from hemp powder, it's also pretty good for fiber, you can mix it with any drink (it's a little grainy but you feel really virtuous after you drink it). And if you're out on the go and forget food, and sesame seeds aren't on your forbidden list, I always grab hummus and rice cakes.

I don't know how strict you have to be with wheat stuff, but if you're not familiar with avoiding it, beware cause it's in everything (sauces, most prepared food, etc.) and for example with the rice cakes I mentioned many are not truly wheat/gluten free because there is wheat contamination in the field where the rice is grown. I like Lundberg, Koyo, and Mother's brands for those.

Best of luck with the elimination diet and the allergy issues! If you end up having to eliminate eggs in your house too we'll be twins (my partner is allergic to them).
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I will give $50 to anyone who can find me nut free, dairy free, gluten free protein bars. The only GF bars I know are Lara and Chocolat which are both made with figs and nuts, KIND bars which are all nuts, and ThinkThin bars, which are whey and nuts. We're talking about an "extreme niche" market here, folks.

I'm sure if she's on an elimination diet in consultation with her doctor they are talking about the soy issue, and the big 8 in general. OP, can you have soy, eggs, shellfish, and corn?

My guy reacted badly to milk of any kind and citrus, but never has had a problem with soy. Even though I react slightly to it!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Whoops, missed the protein part. :blushing:

Uh...perhaps pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)?
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I will give $50 to anyone who can find me nut free, dairy free, gluten free protein bars. The only GF bars I know are Lara and Chocolat which are both made with figs and nuts, KIND bars which are all nuts, and ThinkThin bars, which are whey and nuts. We're talking about an "extreme niche" market here, folks.

I'm sure if she's on an elimination diet in consultation with her doctor they are talking about the soy issue, and the big 8 in general. OP, can you have soy, eggs, shellfish, and corn?

My guy reacted badly to milk of any kind and citrus, but never has had a problem with soy. Even though I react slightly to it!

I forgot to say soy, so yes that's currently out. Our pedi has not said anything about shellfish, eggs or corn yet but I don't eat a ton of those items in general. I'm hoping we get this figured out soon. I feel so guilty that something I'm eating is giving him issues, but I'm eating so clean I just don't know what it could be! I am hungrier and more irritable than usual now that I've given up my almonds. I was fine giving up soy, dairy and even wheat, but the nuts has been difficult.
  • PaigeJMP
    PaigeJMP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Seeds are a good alternative to nuts. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds.