Another Tall Guy, Just Starting This Adventure

Options
Hello! I'm Caleb, 25, 6'3", full time grad student, and right on the border of seeing a 3 at the front of my weight. Last week touched 297 and I'm finally deciding that it is too freaking much. I've been gaining weight pretty steadily since high school. I played soccer and basketball and could eat just about whatever I wanted since I had practice just about every day. I graduated weighing in the 190-195 range. Did OK my first year of college, but my eating habits deteriorated significantly (when a pizza place delivers till midnight with a students discount it's delicious, but not the healthiest). I stayed fairly active my first year, year and a half but then spent less and less time in the gym playing basketball and other intramurals. It was one of those things that just slowly crept up on me, and then I had to start bumping up sizes in my pants. Told myself I was going to lose a bunch of weight before I got married 3 years ago when I was in the 250 range, but that never happened. Said the same thing several other times over the past couple years and work out and eat healthy for a week or two.

Over the past year I've sporadically been doing some running and have ran/walked a few 5ks which have been fun but I just haven't been consistent in anything. So to really make a commitment, I'm signed up to run the St. Jude Children's Hospital in December with my dad and younger brother. I'm hoping a concrete goal and timeline will help me (plus I don't want to have a heart attack on the race course). My other two big NSV's that will be end goals are the Memphis in May triathlon they do every spring and to dunk a basketball. When I was in HS, I could kinda sorta almost dunk. I figure if I get myself slimmed down I can work on that vertical and FLUSH one. I think my goal weight will be somewhere in the 195-215 range, we'll see what kinda build I'm going to end up with.

Before (i.e. Senior Year of HS)
HS%2520Scholastic%2520Bowl.jpg

After (July '12)
NSSLHA.jpg

I feel I carry the weight decently, but then I see old pictures of myself and really notice it in the face, or if I'm walking along a building with really reflective glass windows, I'm like dang, how'd that happen?

This was the same July weekend and I really see it here. Seeing this picture afterward was kind of eye opening.

396723_10151058450280977_673824779_n.jpg

Feel free to add me and help keep me accountable. Exams Wed, Thurs, and Fri and then I can really get down to business!

Replies

• johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turn 49 in a few weeks and 6'2" and started in May at 268. I am 237 as of today and joined here yesterday because I heard it was easier to track my calories than the site I was using.

I think I carried it well too but at my last health screening I was borderline for several things and seeing how over a period of a decade I had slowly moved up in weight (they gave me a graph of all my previous health screenings) and I saw that the graph for the bad things in my blood tests (cholesterol, diabetes, etc) all moved up a very similar graph as my weight increased I decided I needed to do something as well.

Good luck on your adventure :-)
  • royshaoni
    Options
    Caleb that happens whenever studies are involved. Atleast that's what I have seen. I am new in here too so feel free to add me. Need to loose 50lbs. Lets see if we can do it or not.