Need HELP! Moving to Dorms!

I move into the dorms in a few days and i super scared that i am going to be one of those girls who gains 15 pounds! Got any ideas how to fight the freshman 15?

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    I'm guessing it's a safe bet that your campus has a gym or multiple gyms. Use them. Also, walk to class, don't ride the bus (if your campus is big enough)
    Dorm cafeterias are usually pretty bad when it comes to food so choose wisely.

But, most importantly, enjoy college :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I move into the dorms in a few days and i super scared that i am going to be one of those girls who gains 15 pounds! Got any ideas how to fight the freshman 15?

Can you take me with you to the dorms haha :bigsmile:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Once you pay for a certain number of credits, some colleges make everything above that free. There's probably a set amount for each semester. You could sign up for a class like Zumba or Aerobics or something that's on campus to try and exercise a bit.

Fair warning - where you get killed are those late night snacks where there's tons of pizza and stuff. Does your school do the food court thing where you buy a card and eat all semester? If yes, try to eat more of the veggies side and less of the carbs side. The only other option is to bring one of those cardboard like plates with dividers to the lunch room and fill each slot (biggest - veggies), medium - meats, and finally carbs - the smallest slot. They even sell plates that are divided for that purpose online. You could get one and that might help with portion control.
  • Hey. I did that not too long ago. But my eating habits got so poor I actually ended up getting really sick and lost 25 pounds and eventually dropped out of school (not entirely related to the fact that I had something like stomach flu for six months.) My dorm had a small kitchen in the basement that we could all use, although there was no pots and pans or utensils or anything. Usually the school's website will mention if the dorms do have a kitchen for you to use, or you can ask during an orientation or something. That would be my biggest recommendation is to make your own food - the school I went to was in the south and I wasn't used to any of the food - so much was fried and red meat based (I am from the Pacific Northwest...) If I did eat in the cafeteria I would just go to the salad bar and get some mixed greens, shredded carrots, peas and beans. Make sure you are getting a balanced diet, I think I had a bit of a protein deficiency since I didn't eat red meat, and they didn't serve many other options. I always tried to get lots of vegetables and fruits at the grocery although I did tend to have too much pasta at times. Also all the students could use the gym for free, so see if your school has a similar set up. You can use this site to also track your calcium, iron and other various things to make sure you are getting a balanced diet. Don't get stuck on ramen and easy macs. And don't mindlessly munch while you try and distract yourself on facebook from that english paper... Hope that helps and best of luck to you at your new school!
  • lovetobeme
    lovetobeme Posts: 8 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I start college in a few weeks and really don't want to gain weight, especially since I worked so hard to lose it.

I think the best way to avoid putting on weight is to watch what you eat and try to fit in some form of exercise a few times a week ( at least this is what I plan to do). Most cafeterias have some healthy options for each meal. Also try to avoid the late night snacking!!!!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    I lost 20 pounds my freshman year of college.

Here is what I did:
    ~ Go the the school rec center! Mine had a weight room, 2 tracks, and multiple classes free to students. Make time to workout. No excuses. School first, but keep health in mind
    ~Walk everywhere you can
    ~I had a George Foreman grill and a mini fridge in my freezer. I would walk to the store, but lean chicken, cook later, and store
    ~Try to limit what you eat at school dining halls. I had the smallest meal plan available.
    ~Keep your room stoked with good choices. Minute rice, tuna, bread, fruit, nuts, bars
    ~Don't get drunk Friday-Sunday :P
    ~Most importantly: ENJOY your freshman year!! :)
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Oh dorms. I lived in the dorm last year, am doing so currently for summer term, and then another year coming up. To be honest, it's tough to be healthy in the dorm. The dining center's food is not that great. The salad that is out looks old and unappealing, the grilled chicken breast that they do have is almost 500 calories a piece and there are a lot of things to tempt you (there was a milkshake shop just downstairs in my last building that made the BEST shakes... pretty sure this place alone was responsible for my Freshmen 15)

I strongly recommend getting a mini fridge for your room, if you are allowed. That way you can keep yogurt, fruit, other favorite health food items there and have at least a little control in some of the things you eat. Also try checking out the school's website to see if there is nutrition info for the dining centers around campus. You can check out nutrition/calories before hand and plan what to eat and where for the best health options. And be active!!! There's probably a gym, maybe a pool, that you can use at no additional charge, and there are probably activity classes, for credit or non credit, that you may be able to work into your schedule.

If it is important for you to be healthy, then it will definitely be possible! You just have to make conscious choices that will help you in your goals. Really, it's just like everywhere else: there will be challenges, but there will be ways to overcoming them.

Good luck!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I didn't gain any weight during the two years I lived in the dorms. I got a hell of a lot of exercise walking around campus and usually just ate sandwiches and cereal. I wasn't a huge fan of the hot food there. I also bought healthy snacks for my room and didn't booze it up on the weekends.