Newbie in the house!

lailavendar
lailavendar Posts: 21
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
This is my introduction. I just joined myfitnesspal, but am already amazed with the progress that so many of its members have made. It's kind of intimidating. You have your progress mapped out and I'm discovering that some of you have lost quite a considerable amount of weight. I would just like to know how is everybody doing it? How do you stick with it enough so that you will actually see results? I seem to always be eating above my set limit and I don't feel like I'm exercising enough. It makes me feel completely hopeless and like a total failure. I need some comfort and renewed enthusiasm in my goal so that I can succeed, as all of you seem to already be doing.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Welcome! First, don't compare yourself to others, especially if you are just beginning this journey, and don't be too hard on yourself.

I found that I've had to be willing to try different foods - veggies I've never tried, fruit, etc. My biggest recommendations would be to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (it really does help!), eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and make sure you budget an indulgence in your food plan at least once or twice a week - it helps you feel less deprived. I looove vitamuffins, which are pretty healthy for you (moreso than candybars or something) and they make really yummy flavors.

Also, plan your meals ahead of time, especially at the beginning, whenever possible. This will help keep you on track and less likely to go over "on accident".

Make a list of why you're changing your habits and keep it with you - in your purse or wallet. Pull it out when you feel tempted to eat something you know you shouldn't.

As long as you stick with it, you WILL start seeing results eventually. It looks like you don't have too much weight to lose - so it will probably take you longer to get down to your goal weight (this is what is common, at least). Just don't get discouraged and remember that there are so many benefits other than losing weight - feeling healthier, more energy, etc.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    This is my introduction. I just joined myfitnesspal, but am already amazed with the progress that so many of its members have made. It's kind of intimidating. You have your progress mapped out and I'm discovering that some of you have lost quite a considerable amount of weight. I would just like to know how is everybody doing it? How do you stick with it enough so that you will actually see results? I seem to always be eating above my set limit and I don't feel like I'm exercising enough. It makes me feel completely hopeless and like a total failure. I need some comfort and renewed enthusiasm in my goal so that I can succeed, as all of you seem to already be doing.

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    The main reason that I have managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is that I HAVE been able to eat "goodies" every now and then. Through MFP I learned that I just need to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time.)
    Before coming here, I tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, (TWICE) but nothing really worked. I always felt deprived of all the "good stuff" out there, and therefore, could only last just so long, and then I'd cave and be right back to eating all the "goodies" I wanted.
    But then I came here, and started my new "lifestyle change", and as long as I "work with my numbers", I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade icecream!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • I would just like to say thank you all so much for responding to my post. It really means so much to me that
    someone is actually reading what I have to say and providing me with feedback. Good luck on your own fitness journeys and thanks again for your support!
This discussion has been closed.