Why do I still look fatter than most people?

Options
Ok so since Oct 2011 I've lost about 70 lbs and I'm currently around 220.

I keep seeing pictures of people that weight much more than I do that look skinnier than I am. And I still actually have quite a bit of fat.

I know I still need to lose another 30-40lbs but I don't think all my fat will come off by then. I don't even notice the difference between 220lbs and 290. I'm still fat :(

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same prob. I weigh 127.4lbs but still pretty fatty. It's body fat % that matters. Mine is still pretty high 29.6% U need to lower urs probably.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think the differences matter a lot more the lower your body fat percentage. When I went from 18% to 15% I saw nothing, but then from 15% to about 12.5% I saw a HUGE change. Just keep it up and the lower you go the bigger differences you'll see.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Well, because everyone's body is different. The same weight can look completely different on different people. Don't get discouraged!!! Just keep doing what you're doing and it will all come in time :)
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from. I thought it was because I had kids that I don't look as great naked as I did before. I look better in clothes, but that's not the point for me. I suppose it really does come down to bf%, no one noticed when I had lost 10 pounds at 155, but 6 more pounds and 3% body fat down, they're really noticing at 149.

Edit: Not that I'm saying everyone sees me naked. That came out wrong.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Someone with low body fat can weigh the same as or more than someone who has a higher body fat and still look smaller, because muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space in the body per pound.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also it can be our own perception - I KNOW I have lost weight, I am in jeans that I couldnt get past my knees before but I still see the fat

I think it will take time to adjust
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am similiar really. I am the same height as my mother. She weights 5 kg more than me, weares clothes size bigger but she looks slimmer than me. It's teh bones. My mom is big boned and I have smal bones and every single kilo simly shows on me more than her.