Looking back

Options
I figure now is an appropriate time to do a little reflection on what I've done in the past 11 months. Why? Yesterday, I earned my 40,000 daily step badge, the highest daily step badge currently on fitbit. I've been on the site since January 21, 2012. I started Ph.D. studies in September of 2011. I'd been deciding that would be the time I would change my health habits for quite a while, since it would coincide with other changes in my lifestyle as I became a grad student.

I started off slow on the changes, but once I started logging my food and activity, improvement became consistent. The highest I ever saw on the scale was Sept/Oct of last year, at 295 lbs, though I'm sure I was at some point above 300. During my last official weigh-in, last Tuesday, I was 212.5, and tonight I was about 210.

It feels like it's taken a long time to get those 85 pounds off, but then again, 11 months to undo more than two decades of poor health choices and behavior - I'm 24 currently - frankly, I call that a good deal. The scale's become less and less important the more obvious it becomes that the number it reflects has little correlation with who I am and what I do. I still have another 15-20 pounds before I get to a real goal weight, and I may very well keep going, until it feels like I have the body that's meant to be.

I suppose it doesn't hurt that I've made a dozen close friends since starting grad school. I tend to be quiet and borderline anti-social, even when I'm out with them, but hopefully one day I can express to them how important they are to me. Especially the girl who probably inspired me more than any other to be a better person. I doubt she had any clue that I have strong feelings for her, but if she at least someday understands that I do, then I don't care if she reciprocates the feelings or not. I didn't do all of this to be a happier person; I did it to be a better person. I'd gladly put any desire for happiness aside in the pursuit of my personal purpose, and that mantra is one of my motivating forces. So here's to seeing how many more steps it takes to become that better person.

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! Very heart touching!
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring. Great to hear about the weight loss and that you have a love in your heart for someone special. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks, both of you. Glad you found it worth reading.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!