Do you need to eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm eating breakfast right now. Homemade oatmeal protein bar. Yum! Yum! :heart:

PM me the recipe?

On its way =)

I want this recipe too, PLEASE --sounds yummy :)
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast if I am hungry. I've noticed that the heavier my dinner is, the less hungry I am in the morning. Last night I indulged in some corn pasta with homemade cheese sauce, and I'm still not hungry today. I see no scientific reason to eat breakfast, so why force down calories when I don't want to eat.

That said, if I work out in the morning, I'll usually have a protein shake or some oatmeal first. If I don't, I find myself nauseated mid workout.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    No! Don't believe the myths you hear from muscle mags and cereal companies. Calories in a day is what matters. One meal a day or 8 meals a day, as long as you get your daily calories and hit your macros, you are golden.

I'd like to thank you for your posts, I get some good info from you. As for the subject at hand, yesterday all I had was coffee several hours before my workout, no breakfast no lunch, nothing. I just ran out of good food food so didn't eat, I didn't plan this. Anyways, my run was the best ever, I've never felt so strong and broke all my records, distance, time, max speed. I can't say about bodybuilding but for my running it works. I'll eat if I'm hungry but it's not like I have to. And I have low blood pressure too. Coffee, salt and drinking a lot works for me. And my brain works on sugar like all brains, plenty of sugar in liver glycogen and brain glycogen (yes, brain glycogen).
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat ONLY when you are truly hungry whether it's 6am 6pm or somewhere in between.
    What's wrong with eating after 6pm?

Congratulations on missing the point. Thanks for playing! :flowerforyou:
    Congrats on perpetuating yet another myth.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Eat ONLY when you are truly hungry whether it's 6am 6pm or somewhere in between.

I think the point was that you CAN eat whenever you want. That the time on the clock doesn't matter.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

They didn't; you're adding that in. They said "6am 6pm or somewhere in between" as a way to say "anytime." Like how a board game will have "For ages eight to eighty" on the box. It doesn't mean that 81 year olds suddenly have to stop playing; it means it's suitable for all ages.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    I prefer to "front load" my calories in the morning, then taper off as the day goes on. I have to eat breakfast, otherwise the rest of my day is just shot, and I end up binge eating.

See.. eat it if it helps you stay on your path.. don't eat it if you're not hungry and could enjoy those calories later. I get so tired of the .."you must eat breakfast to jimp start your metabolism" crap. When I was younger and natually thin. I never ate until lunch.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ I think you're misunderstanding the intent of her post.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because if I don't then by noon I'm ready to EAT ALL THE THINGS! It works much better for me to start the day off with some good protein so that I can keep on track the rest of the day.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

^ I think you're misunderstanding the intent of her post.
    Not at all, but rather trying to prevent the spread of more stupid.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    skipping breakfast means you're more inclined to snack more throughout the day and more likely on junk food.

the best way to get your metabolism up is by having breakfast in the morning as you've been asleep all night and therefore your metabolism is low.

eat high fibred and high protein food in the morning - less likely to snack on junk, feeling fuller for longer. trust me it works. your muscles need food - food is fuel for your muscles!
    Myth. Metabolism runs all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just so people are clear about the original post:

The point isn't that nobody needs to eat breakfast, the point is that breakfast does not boost your metabolism and neither does any specific meal frequency. See the link a few posts up for an explanation.

Whether or not you eat breakfast should be based on a set of preferential things that may vary from individual to individual , but it's not based on any magical metabolic edge that it gives you, because it doesn't.
    QFT.

IDEA Fitness member
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that you don't have to eat breakfast in the morning, BUT it highly increases your success rate if you do. It's not necessarily a metabolism thing as much as a behavioral thing. If you skip breakfast, you are much more likely to binge or make bad choices once you get hungry. Everybody is different, I have friends that hate "breakfast foods" or like to sleep in in the morning. There's always a way around this, by choosing non-traditional breakfast foods (like a piece of healthy veggie pizza) or by packing something the night before to grab and take with you. I have yet to find a successful dieting/nutrition program that recommends AGAINST eating breakfast.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I start eating when I wake up and stop when I go to sleep...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Articles are good reads. Peer reviewed clinical studies are boring to read, but spout truth.
    Funny in the article posted, there is "anecdotal" evidence admitted by the writer and even she doesn't eat anything before her workout in the morning.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    Just so people are clear about the original post:

The point isn't that nobody needs to eat breakfast, the point is that breakfast does not boost your metabolism and neither does any specific meal frequency. See the link a few posts up for an explanation.

Whether or not you eat breakfast should be based on a set of preferential things that may vary from individual to individual , but it's not based on any magical metabolic edge that it gives you, because it doesn't.
    QFT.

IDEA Fitness member

Preach!!!!!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast because it upsets my stomach and I spend the morning with aches. Right now I'm managing to drink half a protein shake in the morning, which I'm fine with. I don't start to feel a little hungry till usually around 11/11:30.

It saying it's okay to eat anywhere in between 6am and 6 pm implies it's NOT okay to eat outside those ranges. Considering I get home from work around 6pm and don't like to eat dinner before my night workout, I'm definitely eating after 6pm.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    I start eating when I wake up and stop when I go to sleep...

Me.....too!!!!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!!! I think a good chunk of the obesity problem in America is because people look at the clock and say "Oh it's noon must be time to eat" and they eat, even if they are not hungry.