How do you stay on track during vacation?

Options
Vacation time is hard for me. The 4 of us will be eating out 3 meals a day with no access to a website to look up calories/nutrition.
I will also be visiting friends during this time and all of us will be going out as a big group.
I know sometimes salads at restaurants can be heavy on the calories!!

Thankfully on our vacation we will be doing a lot of walking (approx 5 miles a day or so), but I wont be in my own country and the restaurants and nutrition are not the same as it is here.

How do you stay on track? I dont have a fancy cell phone to even log into here, so Im hoping the hotel we're at has a business centre so I can at least get an idea of how Im doing ...

Replies

• mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eilmeister
    Options
    You don't. Seriously. It's a vacation, so don't let your diet concerns ruin your fun. It's not like you'll gain it all back over the course of a vacation, especially with all the walking and other activities. Just use common sense when ordering, but don't worry too much about counting. At least that's what I would do.
    And if you do end up gaining a pound or two, at least you had a fun vacation! Much better than being all grumpy and worried about calories when you're supposed to have a good time! Just get back on track when you're back, and it will be all good.

My 2 cents :-)

And have a great vacation!
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You can be a little relaxed but don't go crazy. if your own country is the US and you are going someplace like Europe then be aware they (at least where I have been) use lots of butter to cook in. Yes salads can be high but a big part of it is in the dressing, croutons, and other stuff thats not a veggie on it. I would do the obvious and order dressing on the side. You can also request something not on it like croutons. As for main entrees, simply ask if they can cook without the butter/oil. It never hurts to ask.

If you want to track your exercise get a pedometer or other device to monitor miles or calories burned. Keep track as best you can of all your meals and exercise per day and log it in when you get back.

Yes, definately enjoy yourself but also remember its not a time to go hog wild. Enjoy a treat or two along the way. And get back on track when you get home. You never know, the shock to your system may actually help you. Thats if you have done fairly well before you go.

Have fun and safe travels
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I am thinking of getting a fitbit before I go to track the daily exercise at least ... and I'll end up doing a quick addition in my head for some common meals like breakfast ... I just want to get back ON the horse after holidays and not fall by the wayside ..
  • nycolemullins1
    Options
    I know it stinks to be the one to order a salad while everyone else is grubbing it up! Watch out for drinks. Water and unsweetened tea are your safest bets because there are no hidden calories. Also, only eat until you're full!! You can order whatever you want as long you eat slowly and enjoy every bite :) Also, like someone above said, don't let this consume your whole vacation! Enjoy yourself. Just use common sense. You have already lost 28 pounds so you know what you're doing! :) I have total faith in you. Have fun!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    You don't. Focus on your macronutrient ratio, not your calories. Use good judgement, but treat yourself.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I just got back from being away for a week, I exercised everyday, stayed within my calorie range (including eating pizza, had ice cream cone and a reeses peanut butter cup), and lost a pound.

So it can be done, salads aren't the only choice out at a restaurant, have some chicken/steak/etc. with a vegetable, probably a lot easier to manage the calories that way than a salad with a bunch of stuff in it. Do your best and enjoy your vacation!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was going to say plan activities based around being active, but you've got that down. Don't stress so much and enjoy your vaca!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Keep active
    Listen to your stomach and only eat till you are nourished and not FULL.
    Use common sense for preparation of your meals (stay away from deep fried, starchy, fatty foods like usual)
    Ask if meals have replacements like whole wheat instead of white, veggie side instead of fries etc
    Have fun! Enjoy some foods you normally wouldn't, just try and portion control or save leftovers as a snack while on a hike, or on the road!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When on vacation I go old school and write down everything I eat during the day in a notebook just so I can SEE what I've consumed in a day.
    You won't get a calorie count but for me it keeps me honest since portion control is one of my biggest struggles.

I also pretty religiously do sit ups and wall push ups in my hotel room in the morning.

But most of all enjoy yourself, it's vacation.