I live in the south...but I want to eat healthy

Replies

• KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    As a fellow person living in the south (I will never, ever call myself a "southerner" :laugh: ), I have to agree with you--healthy options (depending on where you are) can be hard to find. I live in an extremely small town, where everything is "Southern cooked" and basically, really unhealthy. If I drive 15 minutes to the more "trendy" and populated area, that's where the healthier stuff is. Where exactly do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I may be able to point you to some stores that have healthier options. :smile:

If you're looking for a cookbook, I'd recommend browsing Barnes & Noble's clearance section. They usually have tons of cookbooks on clearance, suited to many different tastes (healthy, vegetarian, various regional staples, etc.). I've gotten a couple there for less than $5. :smile: Plus you can always browse their normal-priced ones as well for ideas, or try to find a good equivalent for cheaper online. I've also gotten some great ideas from a magazine I browse there, I think it's called Clean Eating? Or Clean Living? I can't remember, sorry.

Someone said something about farmer's markets year round--that's definitely a myth. I live in Florida, and in my area, we have no "farmer's markets"--we have some nasty fruit stands where people either take the garbage from the back of grocery stores and try to re-sell it, or their stand is crawling with fruit flies, fruit is rotted, etc. I have to travel a long distance for some good produce, unfortunately.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    I commend you for making the choice to get your whole family on the road to being healthy. I live in Georgia....born and raised. Fresh fruits and vegetables abound, since we have lots of farmers around. The key is to stay away from fast food places and the little "Mom & Pop" restaurants that have "Meat & 3" specials. Almost all of their meats are fried or smothered in some sort of gravy, and the 3 veggies are also either fried, smothered in something, or doused in salt. Sodium is a big problem in the south.
    Also, don't drink the sweet tea. It's more like sugar water...with a little tea in it. (I know, that's blasphemy to Southerners, but it's the truth. ;)
    Try to find healthier alternatives to southern foods that you like. There's tons of websites with recipe makeovers. Good luck!
  • cherylhirons
    cherylhirons Posts: 37 Member
    I think the best way to incorporate healthy foods into our children's belly's is to make it simple and have them help prepare. We go off track with our daughter now and then we don't want to deprive her of treats! Growing up I was a bit spoiled and if I wanted fast food I got it! (my mother cooked often, but I always got $$$$ for after practice, of course I burned the calories when I was an athlete, but continued the poor eating habits as my activities and metabolism slowed)!!!!!

We keep nutrition an ongoing topic in our house. If the kids help prepare it they have pride in it. At least once a week we have salad(baby spring mix) I just add chicken and change up the dressings, my daughter started enjoying/tolerating them since I put sliced almonds in it!!! She also noes that is her option! Just yesterday I bought a load of fruit( since summer fruits will leave soon. The kids could make a fruit salad and put them in portions for snacks.

Now my daughter and I are going to go swimming ( keep the kids active with something they enjoy). In a week my daughter starts volleyball m-f (her choice). She has played soccer all but 2 weeks of the summer and with continue playing m,w,s!

I refuse to pass on my bad habits to my child.
  • abencase
    abencase Posts: 34 Member
    Mississippi girl here! I feel your pain! Lots of great suggestions already! My suggestion is for the picky eaters.... I worked at a daycare for several years and every Friday we did a cooking class... I found that children are much more inclined to eat something they were a part of making. It gives them ownership of the dish. I don't know the ages of the 2, so it may be harder with younger ones. We had ages 4 and up in our after-school program. Their favorite thing to do was crack eggs =) It can get a little messy at times but it is so much fun! Good Luck my dear!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Since it's easier to cook healthy at home, I'll address the whole dining out experience. I hate seafood, but most places I go to end up having AWESOME grilled chicken entrees. Usually blackened! Get a side of steamed veggies (with lots of butter) and BAM! Good meal!

Once I started understanding why certain things made me gain weight in the first place, it was easier to see "the light."

Can't help you on the kid thing, though. But my mom never had problems with us eating veggies since my sis and I used to fight over who had the most green beans. We would eat before we starved!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    I maintain that the notion that "healthy options are hard to find" and "everything is fried/coated in butter/sauce/topped with fatback" is BOGUS. Who is force-feeding you this stuff?

Take control of your food. You don't have to eat at Lizards Thicket, Cracker Barrel and Bojangles every meal. They have fresh vegetables at Piggly Wiggly, too.

*edited to admit that I am cranky and over-caffeinated today.
  • amandal15
    amandal15 Posts: 108 Member
    It's warm all year right? So isn't there fresh fruits and veggies in abundance? Do you have farmer's markets in your area?

Not all year. In the winter it is usually in the 30s but can get to the teens. I'm in Tennessee...northern part of the south.

Yes, I need to get to the farmers market.
  • amandal15
    I don't have a suggestiong - sorry! I just wanted to commend you on your dedication to get the whole family healthy. No matter how difficult it will be, hang in there!!!
    thanks!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Better Homes and Gardens: Easy Dinners Healthy Recipes. I found that book on sale at Barnes and Nobles a few weeks ago (for $5!) and so far, all the recipes I've tried have been good. The meals don't taste diet-y either. I've been able to cook meal that work for me and my boyfriend (who is not trying to lose weight) and he's loved some of the recipes. Some days he actually requests some of the healthy recipes instead of his usual hot dogs and po'boys. The Food Network site also has a healthy recipes section-- I haven't tried any of them yet because I'm still working through my cookbook, but a lot of the recipes look pretty good. The site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html

Both the site and the book I recommended also give you nutrition facts for the recipes so if you input the recipes on MFP, you'll be able to tell if you're inputting the correct data and not wonder if you're underestimating your meal. I also recommend learning to cook authentic Thai-- the food is delicious, fast to make, and can be quite healthy. I never dropped as much weight as when I was living in Thailand, eating authentic Thai food everyday.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    nothing wrong with butter.
    fat is your friend.
  • amandal15
    How does living in the south mean you have to eat poorly? Last I checked, there's no butter and fried chicken quota we're forced to meet, and we have farmers markets open 10 months out of the year, for cryin' out loud. :happy:

Here's some healthy takes on some traditional southern dishes, though:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_southern_recipes

And it's kind of cheesy, but I've watched a couple episodes of Not My Momma's Meals on Food network, and which ever spawn of Paula Deen that is seems to make tasty looking versions of his mom's recipes.

No...doesn't mean we have to eat poorly...but when it is what you were brought up on, change is hard. I've made lots of changes, but this one is hard for me. It is called comfort food. :) And I don't think our farmers markets are open that long. Maybe in Nashville, but that isn't convenient to me with 4 kids.

I'll check those sites out. I would like some alternatives...trick the kids to eating healthy if I can. :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    I have lived in the south all my life---born and raised in Georgia. Have always eaten healthy. Look at my diary it is open it is all about the choices you make not where you live.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    I live in the fattest state in the country, Mississippi, I was thinking the same thing about a cookbook the other day. I have completely changed the way my family eats. I have a 3 yr old son who is extremely picky (will vomit at the smell of ketchup) So I am looking forward to seeing all of these suggestions
  • Living in the south has nothing to do with you being unhealthy. (Born and raised Texan! Home of chicken fried steak and TexMex)

The entire country has vast amounts of unhealthy foods, not just the south.

Just cook at home. YOU control what you choose to eat. There are plenty of healthy options out there.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Apparently when you cross the Mason-Dixon line willpower and good judgement regarding food choices just fly out of the window! It's magical!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    i was born and raised in south carolina, and have found the transition from good old country cooking to more healthy choices to be quite simple. start by reducing the amounts of butter in everything, switch from fried to grilled food. also try menshealth.com/nutrition for recipes that are delicious and healthy
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    What ever happened to the days where kids ate what was put in front of them or they didn't eat?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Check out skinnytaste.com. That blog has a lot of good meals in a "lighter" version. My favorites were the chili and baked chicken nuggets. There are also some recipes that are not so common. They've all been good so far.

Was going to suggest this as well. So many great healthy recipes using most, if not all, of the items you already have. The foods have lots of flavor, so your family won't mis any of the fat. There easy to make too.
  • I live in Georgia, and you know where I find healthy food? The grocery store. Even if there's no farmers' market near you, logic dictates that there has to be a grocery store. Look up healthy recipes, cook them for your family, and serve them. A picky eater will get hungry enough to eat what's served. You have tons of options, but it's up to you to choose the good ones.
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    I was raised in GA, and I can definitely connect with how you are feeling. every meal was rice/potatoes, loads of beans, meat was deep fried. And you always cook like you're feeding an army!!!! It's the way we were raised.

When I moved out I stopped frying food, and a lot less salt. I swear my mother should just get a salt lick for her cooking and drop it in the center of it :/ It helped but I still didn't lose massive weight.

The last 3 weeks, I have made a conscience effort not to cook rice or potatoes in abundance, just enough meat to feed everyone one serving and when the kids want more, I make double veggies. That way if they do want more it's a healthier alternative, and if they pass on the veggies, A:they weren't "hungry" B:I get leftovers for a quick lunch/snack the next day.

Cooking is ingrained in us at such a young age, heck, I could fry cornbread and pork chops by 12. :/ I would just say think about the small things and everything else will come into play. :)