My sweet tooth is my downfall.

Options
As the heading suggests, sweets are my downfall. I love them and crave them all the time! Not because I'm hungry or do they satisfy any real hunger pangs but once they're in my head, they are ALL THAT I CAN THINK ABOUT until I can bare it no longer and buy a bag and scoff the entire thing :(

My favourite are sour sweets of any variety, but particularly Haribo tangfastics or sour strawberry or cola laces. Even as I type, the images of these sweets are swimming in my mind.... mmmmmm.

Anyway... I know they have no nutritional value whatsoever, bad for my teeth and are high in calories even for a small amount but still I find it hard to resist.. Once I start, I just can't stop.. as one is never enough!

I probably have sweets once or so a week on average but some days I literally go crazy and blow about 600 calories in one sitting just on sweets which is a HUGE amount!

Can anyone relate to this and can you offer tips on how to control my urges/stop eating them? I do also eat a lot of fruit which has that sweet taste but it doesn't always make the grade.

Maybe sweets aren't your downfall, but what is? Care to share so we can try and fight the demons together? :)

Replies

• Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    You should allow yourself 200-300 cals of a sweet/sweets DAILY. I have chocolate every day. Newman's dark chocolate peppermint cups are my fave and they're $1.49 a package so I wont be buying 3 packages a day.

Personally I can't stand the taste of oreos and keebler and most packaged sweets at the store so I don't have to worry about them. (Though Walmart has these S'mores donuts now that are excellent, and 300cal)

If you go over intake then do some exercise. But depriving yourself will make your brain go haywire and want to snarf everything into your face.
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have a huge sweet tooth. I get icecream a couple of nights a week, and eat a granny apple with it, to get full quicker, and apples are negatives so it helps a little. falling off isn't the problem, the problem is forgetting the drive and not dusting yourself off and trying again. :) Today is a new day, keep positive encouragement. I know it's helping me so much to stay on track.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Stop limiting yourself throughout the week until you go crazy and binge. Have a moderate amount of foods you enjoy every day.
  • evaleung87
    Options
    I do also eat chocolate and other 'bad' stuff a few times a week as I agree in not depriving myself but sweets I definitely eat too much of. Place a bag or bowl in front of me and I will not say no, I'll be saying, gimme, gimme, gimme!! Lol.

I think I'm addicted to sweets. My boyfriend rolls his eyes and tries to stop me from buying them as he knows I would regret them after but if he stops me, I get in a strop so he can't win.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You should allow yourself 200-300 cals of a sweet/sweets DAILY. I have chocolate every day. Newman's dark chocolate peppermint cups are my fave and they're $1.49 a package so I wont be buying 3 packages a day.

Personally I can't stand the taste of oreos and keebler and most packaged sweets at the store so I don't have to worry about them. (Though Walmart has these S'mores donuts now that are excellent, and 300cal)

If you go over intake then do some exercise. But depriving yourself will make your brain go haywire and want to snarf everything into your face.

This is pretty much where I am too. There is brown sugar and sweetened peanut butter in my breakfast. Then, I often have a small dessert after dinner. I like making things myself. I love to bake.
  • jltaft21
    jltaft21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do also eat chocolate and other 'bad' stuff a few times a week as I agree in not depriving myself but sweets I definitely eat too much of. Place a bag or bowl in front of me and I will not say no, I'll be saying, gimme, gimme, gimme!! Lol.

I think I'm addicted to sweets. My boyfriend rolls his eyes and tries to stop me from buying them as he knows I would regret them after but if he stops me, I get in a strop so he can't win.

My favorite healthier sweets are nonfat frozen yogurt, jell-o mousse temptations, fudgcicles, Fage yogurt with strawberry, and trader joe's chocolate nibs.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would try to lower your overall carb-intake -- that really helped me with being able to control my cravings (especially for sweets).
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just DONT. Its simple. Dont keep them in the house and dont eat them. If you cant not binge on them dont have them at all. They are probably the reason you are on MFP in the first place if you are like me and cant have just one of something...

Some people cant just have a little. I am one of them.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Like you, I have a major sweet tooth, too. I like my suagry iced coffee drinks in the AM. I try to let myself have one about once a week. I also have had a hard time breaking my 3PM sweet snack and Coke habit, but I can actually say that it's been much easier to resist that after 2 weeks of not having one. I actually plan to have one today, LOL.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just DONT. Its simple. Dont keep them in the house and dont eat them. If you cant not binge on them dont have them at all. They are probably the reason you are on MFP in the first place if you are like me and cant have just one of something...

I agree, totally.

I am exactly like you, I have an extreme sweet tooth. Especially for pic 'n' mix/chocolate. I'm also one of those people that just cannot stop at 2 or 3 sweeties - it has to be the whole bag or more. The only way at the moment, which isn't a long term thing I understand, is absolutely not buy them and absolutely not eat them. Gain some self control, I know it's hard but the more you start standing up to those cravings and saying 'no' the more empowered you'll feel.

If I can do it and loose over 50lbs so can you!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them. If you can't have just a few, then don't buy them at all. But it will require will power. When you pick them up in the store and want them, remind yourself that you are going to eat all of them and that its not worth it.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Me too the only food I ever crave is chocolate, I just have a chocolate bar which is less than 150 calories once a week or once every 2 weeks but still stay under my calorie goal
  • evaleung87
    Options
    I'm going to have to start being good. I normally only buy chocolates and stuff when I see them on offer. £1 for a pack of 4 bars is amazing when chocolate bars are usually about 60-70p for the one nowadays. I also buy them mostly for my boyfriend as he's not on a diet so can eat whatever he wants. But as we live together, there's always going to be these things around..

But thanks all for the feedback!
  • CasseyMarie74
    Options
    I love sweets as well. I have gotten better about it, but every now and then I have to have them. My biggest downfall is cupcakes.
    Something I have done and it helps me is to drink a flavored coffee with some splenda in it if I'm craving something sweet. It helps at least cut the craving down a little bit.
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was having major cravings for ice cream this week, since I haven't had any for 2 months! I found Skinny Cow, and was so freaking happy. The ice cream bars are only 100 calories...so I don't even feel like I'm "wasting" calories on something that's not nutritious. Also, they are rather expensive, which makes me savor them more.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    This is what I had to do: cut out ALL sweets FOREVER. I truly believe I have a sugar addiction, and like any addiction, there is no having "just a little". I realize this isn't true for everyone, so please don't attack me. This is what I had to do to get over those cravings. My sweets now are fruit or some sugar-free treats (Dove sugar-free chocolates are my favorite!). I've also found lots of recipes for treats that are sugar-free. Sometimes you substitute with applesauce or other natural sugar sources, but I NEVER use white sugar anymore. It took about 2 weeks to get it out of my system, and those were tough two weeks, but once I got through that, the cravings ceased. I can actually pass up the most delictable looking desserts now. I've fallen off the wagon enough in the past to know it's no sugar or battle the cravings and weight gain.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I agree, totally.

I am exactly like you, I have an extreme sweet tooth. Especially for pic 'n' mix/chocolate. I'm also one of those people that just cannot stop at 2 or 3 sweeties - it has to be the whole bag or more. The only way at the moment, which isn't a long term thing I understand, is absolutely not buy them and absolutely not eat them. Gain some self control, I know it's hard but the more you start standing up to those cravings and saying 'no' the more empowered you'll feel.

If I can do it and loose over 50lbs so can you!

Thanks for agreeing! Every time I have suggested this on other topics some random idiot comes along and tells me there is no reason you cant eat candy and lose weight and that I dont know what im talking about and that I need a "hug and a cookie". Nice to see there are people that have to deal with this the same was I do. :)
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is what I had to do: cut out ALL sweets FOREVER. I truly believe I have a sugar addiction, and like any addiction, there is no having "just a little". I realize this isn't true for everyone, so please don't attack me. This is what I had to do to get over those cravings. My sweets now are fruit or some sugar-free treats (Dove sugar-free chocolates are my favorite!). I've also found lots of recipes for treats that are sugar-free. Sometimes you substitute with applesauce or other natural sugar sources, but I NEVER use white sugar anymore. It took about 2 weeks to get it out of my system, and those were tough two weeks, but once I got through that, the cravings ceased. I can actually pass up the most delictable looking desserts now. I've fallen off the wagon enough in the past to know it's no sugar or battle the cravings and weight gain.

THIS.
    I've also got a sweet tooth and could eat sweets and chocolate all day long - for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I realised it was an addiction and decided to do something about it. I started following James Duigan's Clean & Lean diet, which meant no sugar for the first two weeks (including fruit) and no refined sugar after that (so fruit allowed). It was hard, but I weaned myself off sugar and it came to the point when I didn't crave it anymore. I can't say I will never have chocolate or sweets again, but I am definitely more cautious and conscious- I know that once I start eating it, I will be doomed. Having said that, I had a Magnum ice cream on Saturday and even though it was tasty, it actually was too sweet for me! So I know I won't be having it for a while now. Never say never, but at the moment I am strong and don't need to have refined sugar! It is definitely doable!
  • ebrady8492
    ebrady8492 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth, but my downfall is chocolate. So I buy a bag of chocolate chips, sometimes I buy milk chocolate and sometimes I buy the dark chocolate and I portion them out, put them in a zip lock bag. Through out the day when I have a chocolate craving I just open my zip lock bag of chocolate chips, and I am good to go. Everything is pre counted for, and I don't have to worry about over eating. I do agree with everyone, you should have your sweets!!
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Used to be I was the same way as you. I decided that if I was going to have a sweet it wouldn't just be any sweet. It would be something premium. You know, those sweets you go to a special shop for that you cant get at the regular grocery store.
    I also found that once I cleaned up my diet and stopped all the junk food that I didn't crave the sweets. Sounds crazy but true. Now when I want one I make a big production of it. I sit down, relax and take small bites. I savor each bite, roll it around in my mouth, almost like a wine guy rolls wine around his mouth to taste each nuance in a wine. It really makes the sweet all that more special. And the most important thing.....i plan for it and I don't feel guilty I enjoy myself.