My Body Knows! When will I learn to listen?

Options
My Body Knows! When will I learn to listen?

Ok, here I am my third movement class, or transformational dance, the name isn’t all that important – the fact that I sweat, move for 70 minutes and … well Love it… is the point that is important. I am learning something … surprising for someone my age - old enough to know but clearly not at all wise - considering I did not understand before now that “My Body actually knows what to do” I just DON’T or haven’t until recently taken the time to listen. Come on who would have guessed it is as simple as that – honestly do all you who read this Really, Really, Really LISTEN to what your body wants – am I the only one…..who has taken so many years to understand this simple fact.

Now, for clarification I need to mention what I mean by “knowing” and “listening” in this context – it is not:
• Oh I feel lonely/bored/anxious I need to have something good…
• I worked really hard I deserve this treat ….
• I don’t have enough time so I’ll drive through here or grab this….
• My foot hurts so I can’t do that…
• I don’t know how…

This “New Listening” is not responding to emotional reactions in my body triggered by desire or fear, and feeding the emotion.
This is true listening attention and a desire for the truth.
It is like a surrender, an allowing of something Natural and Authentic.

So… back to the dance movement class… I am finding as I let go of expectation/desire/judgement I free up my body to move as it wishes and I am attuning to an innate knowing, becoming aware my body moves me and it is not my job to move my body. I need “do” nothing but listen, allow and trust this body knows fully what it needs – I am learning to get out of the way, quit playing director and “Listen” to the Truth that lies waiting for expression.

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I understand.
    I have felt a similar new freedom in the last few months.
    Only my new freedom is more in getting up & acting on my body's urges to move & be active. I no longer sit around & make excuses or find diversions to keep myself from doing the activities that I have always wished to do.
    It's a whole new world for me, & now I'm wishing it happened 30 years ago.