Looking for healthy recipes (protein and veggies)

Options
Hello...I recently lost some weight and it inspires me to keep on going. Looking for some healthy recipes that include protein and veggies. Any suggestions for websites - or if you could, please post your favorites. THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This goes with lots of different veggies - but I looove tilapia. You can buy frozen fillets at the grocery store that are individually wrapped (usually 4 or 6 to a bag) - it will have specific cooking directions on it. I cook it by wrapping the fish in tin foil with fresh squeezed lemon juice and 2-3 cloves of mashed up fresh garlic (under the fish). When the fish is done, I usually leave the garlic in the pan, but I guess some people would want to eat it.

It has lots of protein, low in fat and calories. (and soooo yummy!)

-Tiff
  • marujita
    Options
    I usually don't want to gobble up a plate of raw veggies, but a plate of raw veggies with HUMMUS for dip, now THAT I like.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Take a small lean steak ( about a pound to a pound and a half) Slice very thin it helps to freeze it abit.

Brown in a skillet with abit of olive oil while browning add 1 red bell pepper, one green pepper, one yellow pepper one onion and mushrooms (all sliced thin) when cooked to your liking) add alittle fresh garlic. add One can of low sodium fat free beef broth and alittle bit of (flour with water to thicken)
    Very yummy (over rice or spagetti squash. Make about 4 to 5 servings and its under 300 calories a serving with the spagetti squash included :glasses:
  • roobot5000
    Options
    hey are you into tofu or seitan?
    if so my fiancee has plenty of recipes i could hook you up with.

you a fan of chicken? beef?
    as a carnivore i may a few tricks up my sleeve.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I'm always trying to find ways to boost my protein intake without skyrocketing my carb count to the moon.

Once a week or so, I like to do a stir fry with tofu. I don't have it over rice - I just eat the veggies & tofu. The secret is in the preparation of the tofu.

I cut the tofu into squares or small rectangles a little larger than the size of a sugar cube. I fry it in a non-stick pan with a tablespoon or more of vegetable oil until it's golden on all sides. Then I pour out most of the oil, leaving about teaspoon or so in the pan. I throw in some minced garlic and let it flavour the oil for about a minute, then pour in some shakes of soy sauce. I stir that around for about 15 seconds, letting it coat the tofu, and letting the liquid reduce a little. Then I throw in my veggies and stir fry for about 5-7 minutes.

If I have room to add 150 more calories, I'll make a curry coconut sauce. I use powdered coconut milk, not canned. For some reason, powdered coconut milk ends up having way fewer calories. I mix about 2 tbsps of soysauce, 3/4 cup of water, 8 tbspns of coconut powder, and 1-2 tsp curry powder and blend in my mini food processor. When the stir fry is just about done, I pour it in, stir it around, and let it simmer for about 3-5 minutes.

Depending on how much tofu you use, this ends up being 500 - 800 calories. When I'm going to have it for dinner, I eat lightly for breakfast and lunch. I make a big stir fry using a ton of vegetables, and then I eat, eat, eat!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Homemade stir-fry meals are a great way to get protein and veggies. For a really easy stir-fry, put a little oil or cooking spray in a pan, cook some chicken or beef, and then throw in a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies. You can add some teriyaki sauce or soy sauce for flavor (but watch the sodium content). If you want extra protein, you can add an egg, and scramble it up with the chicken and veggies. You can also add some rice, peas, carrots, or just about whatever else you like. It's fun to experiment with new combinations.

Another meal I really like (but it is high in sodium because of the frozen spinach) is an entire pack of Green Giant creamed spinach with a cooked fish fillet or chicken breast. I usually season the fish or chicken with something light, like a little lemon pepper or lime pepper. It sounds strange, but if you like spinach, it's fast and delicious.

-Alison
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    4 ounces of white meat chicken cut up in small pieces with veggies (summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, peppers)

lay it all on a sheet of aluminum foil, wrap it up in a packet, and put in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes----season with Mrs. Dash and you can keep the sodium down as well as the calories :bigsmile: