Chateline's Fiery Squash Chili

Options
I got this recipe from an insert in Chatelaine (http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Fiery_Squash_Chili), but added my own flair. I'll highlight what I did differently with an asterisk (*) .

Fiery Squash Chili
Ingredients

- 28- oz (796- mL) can diced tomatoes (* I used 3 large fresh tomatoes)
- 398- ml can tomato sauce (* I used a 798 ml jar, and it turned out just fine)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each cinnamon & dried oregano leaves (* The cinnamon really pops, so next time I will probably just use a few pinches)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cayenne & allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped squash
- 2 yellow or green peppers, chopped
- 19- oz (540- mL) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn or peas (* I used a can of corn)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (* I didn't use cilantro... can't stand the stuff!)
- Low-fat sour cream (optional) (* I choose not to go with sour cream)

My Additions
* 1 block of firm Tofu
* 2 small zucchini

Method

1. In a large, wide saucepan, stir diced tomatoes with tomato sauce, spices and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat, then stir in squash. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 30 min.

2. Stir in peppers, beans and frozen corn (* and zucchini). Boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until peppers are soft, 10 to 15 min more. Stir in cilantro and spoon into bowls (* just as everything is about cooked, chop the firm tofu into cubes and mix in). Top with sour cream (low-fat, of course).

This recipe is very filling, super tasty and is only 130 calories according to the original recipe. Plus I have enough to last me the entire week for lunches. It's pretty simple to make too! (Although I recommend recruiting someone to help you with the chopping, as that takes the longest).

Replies

• roobot5000
    Options
    wow. sounds good. thanks for posting this.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sounds great for a cold winter night
    Thanks for sharing
  • shellyk
    Options
    Now that sounds great and really only 130 cal. And i like the idea that you can make enough to last the whole week. Thanks for sharing it.
  • basil
    basil Posts: 1
    Options
    130 cals for how much. Thanks