my highest weight was 323

Options
and this year has been my most consistent year of actually changing my lifestyle and losing weight. I am now out of the 300s and certainly still have quite a bit to lose yet. My ultimate goal is to cut my current weight of 293 down to 155 in the next 18 months but I would like to be under 200 by this time next year. I am 40 years old, and single. I am extremely outgoing and have a wide group of friends. Some of whom are quite fit and others who share the same struggles as I do but are not yet to the point of being proactive. I started my weightloss journey alone and have had some success. Losingweight by myself was fine when I started in February of this year but I find that I really need other likeminded people to talk to in order to keep myself motivated and to keep myself from despairing. I mentioned my actual number of pounds on purpose because I want to diminish the hold that number has had on me. Many wince when they have to say their weight but I've lost more than 20 pounds and I already feel like I'm 50 pounds lighter. That number used to hold me captive but I know that as that number shrinks so does its power and control over the life I want to lead will shrink. So I would Like to talk to others who share my triumphs and struggles on the path to a better me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Babycakez38
    Babycakez38 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    add me, I'll be glad to be your friend
  • writer77035
    writer77035 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks so much. I'm so glad this community exists and thanks for extending your online friendship!
  • jdlyng
    jdlyng Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Happy to do what I can. I'm pretty new here too, so we can celebrate and encourage each other! You can add me!
  • relaxinglmt
    Options
    I would be happy to be your friend :)
  • pinkcherries64
    Options
    You are doing fantastic!!!!!! KEEP GOING!!!! <3
  • workingonit2
    Options
    Hi there! We're pretty close to being in the same boat! My highest weight was 297, part due to baby weight gain years ago...part due loving to eat while I read...part due to my favorite chinese restaurant (oh yes, the buffet!! LOL)...but really all due to me. Glad to hear you're well on your way on your great weightloss journey! That is so wonderful!! My weight is currently 274, making progress ever so slowly but surely. I have a list of motivational sayings that I use to try to keep myself on track, today's is "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch". I have a friend who is like a 5k running superstar, he can do that 3.1 miles in under 19 minutes, which in my book is nothing short of fantastic! I told him I really admired that he could do that, and that I couldn't possibly do it myself...too much bulk, too much bounce!! I hadn't ran since gym class in high school! (A good solid 20 years ago.) Then later after I told him that, I thought to myself "what a stupid thing to say! Why on earth can't I do it?!" So, from that thought I went directly into full body torture and began to jog. I was so out of shape I couldn't even jog a 10th of a mile! That has been a month ago, I've worked up to being able to jog a 1/4 mile before I have to slow to a walk for a minute before I can jog again. It started out as torture and now after a month I find I'm looking forward to the challenge, the burn in my muscles I forgot even exsisted, and the weightloss coming along with it. What techniques do you find are working for you?
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What you did when you got yourself under the 300 mark is known here as a clink. If your doctor uses one of those scales with the bars at the top with the sliding thingys, the big one gets set in 50 pound increments and it "clinks" into those little notches. YOU ARE DOWN ONE OF THOSE! Congrats!

Good for you for joining MFP. The Success Stories section is full of before/after pictures of people who have either accomplished goals similar to yours or are in some state of progress. There are some pretty amazing stories there. Read and enjoy.

Besides clink, you also need to know NSV stands for Non-Scale Victory. I love those stories and hope you do too.

Welcome! Holler if you need anything.
  • writer77035
    writer77035 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry I never replied to this. What has been working for me is forcing myself to drink 2 glasses of water when I wake up and I can better control what I eat. It also helps me get the water I need during the day.