Feeling light headed

Options
elleloch
elleloch Posts: 739 Member
Just wondering if anyone else has this "problem?"

I literally cannot skip breakfast or a regularly scheduled meal without feeling terrible. I've got a little bit of food on me at all times, lol. But if I don't eat right away in the morning, I'll pass out. I came close to passing out in the middle of an interview once when I didn't grab breakfast after oversleeping. I'm not a morning person, so I don't do morning workouts since I can't get up early enough to eat in time.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You should have your blood pressure and blood sugars checked. Low in either of these could cause the symptoms, for entirely different reasons.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?
  • elleloch
    Options
    You should have your blood pressure and blood sugars checked. Low in either of these could cause the symptoms, for entirely different reasons.

Yeah... I know, I know. Ugh I hate going to the doctor though. I'm one of those who would basically be on death's doorstep before going, lol.

But I've always had this issue as far back as I can remember.

ETA - I should add that my blood pressure is always normal whenever it's checked at my yearly appointments, but I think a sugar check could be legit.
  • elleloch
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?

Yes.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have really low blood sugar and I have the same problem!
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    yep! i have this same problem! I came close to passing out while I was driving once, I was seeing black spots and could hardly hold on to the wheel. I've had blood tests done multiple times. For me, it's not a health issue, which I was convinced it was. I have to eat something every couple of hours or I feel weak. It's pretty annoying...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can check your blood pressure at a machine in a pharmacy. You know, the ones you stick your arm in and press the big green button.

If the numbers are lower than 120/80, then try to eat more salt and stand up more slowly.

If the numbers are just fine, or very near, go to the doctor. As much as you hate it, it helps you and sometimes you just gotta accept that.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    never had problem until lost weight one day i thought i was dying went into full panic attack...went to dr everything fine except blood sugar was low even after i ate a sandwich and drank orange juice before going due to lady at work saying she thought that was it....now i just make sure i eat balanced throughout day and havent had problem since
  • kellieknox1116
    Options
    You might want to get your thyroid levels checked. I've been having the same problem and it's gotten better since I've been on medicine for it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the go to the dr comment. I can get light headed for both blood pressure and low blood sugar reasons. Keeping my sodium intake on the higher side (at least 2300 mg/day) helps keep my blood pressure at a good level (around 102/70), and I make sure I always have a decent carb and protein source on me for if I feel my blood sugar drop.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have this issue often and its usually a combo of low iron and low protein. Make sure your eating well and hydrating as well. If this continues, i would call the doc. Chances are its just a vitamin issue more than anything.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yeah....I never eat breakfast. I would see your doc.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the low blood sugar posts- sounds like you have an issue with hypoglycemia! I have this exact problem. Some peanut butter and OJ usually do the trick when I'm feeling like that!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the pharmacy will probably offer a blood sugar test. Do it fasted overnight (ie before eating breakfast) then 2 hours after eating.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This happens to me...I have to eat a little bit every few hours (3 or so). You could try going to the clinic just to make sure there isn't something serious going on. This is just how my body is, if I don't eat my brain doesn't work, I lose coordination, mood swings, light headed, headaches, etc. I also have to make sure I'm well dehydrated at all times, are you drinking enough water?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure, blood sugar, vitamins, iron... could be several different things which are easily tested. I'd lean towards blood sugar since regular eating seems to help.

When you say you will pass out, do you mean you feel light-headed, or you actually pass out? If you have lost consciousness, you seriously need to see the doctor.
  • elleloch
    Options
    This happens to me...I have to eat a little bit every few hours (3 or so). You could try going to the clinic just to make sure there isn't something serious going on. This is just how my body is, if I don't eat my brain doesn't work, I lose coordination, mood swings, light headed, headaches, etc. I also have to make sure I'm well dehydrated at all times, are you drinking enough water?

Yeah I drink around 60 oz of water daily and I graze between meals. I eat all the damn time, lol - but yeah, first thing in the morning I gotta eat. Usually I'm okay after supper (and I always work out after supper) until bedtime and won't need a snack between then and bedtime, but yeah, throughout the day I really seem to need food. I don't think my diet lacks much? Feel free to check out my food diary you guys - if there are any suggestions you can make I'd like to hear them. Otherwise I'll just ask my doc at my next yearly appointment probably.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was anemic.

For sure talk to your dr about it next time you go. If you have bad or unusual TOM try adding an iron supplement as that is what sucked the iron right out of me.

I hope you figure it out sooner than later, these types things are in place to tell us something is wrong with our bodies. You actually do not honestly want to be on deaths door when you find out what is causing this. :tongue:
  • elleloch
    Options
    This happened to me when I was anemic.

For sure talk to your dr about it next time you go. If you have bad or unusual TOM try adding an iron supplement as that is what sucked the iron right out of me.

I hope you figure it out sooner than later, these types things are in place to tell us something is wrong with our bodies. You actually do not honestly want to be on deaths door when you find out what is causing this. :tongue:

Hey now... don't be all reasonable with me! :)
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem a lot and I think for me it was a blood sugar issue - if I would eat something seemingly healthy as a big bowl of fruit salad with a little cottage cheese - within an hour I was nearly passed out.

What has helped is eating frequent meals throughout the day. I make sure to include protein in every meal (with dinner being the meal where I usually get the least amount of protein and more carbs). Since I have changed my diet and have been eating like this consistently since being on MFP, I can't remember the last time I have had one of those episodes.