Low Calorie Pasta?

Options
Does anyone know of a low calorie pasta or rice? I was wondering if those celophane noodles are any better for you calorie wise...Also, any other low calorie grains? I'm hungry for carbs with dinner at night and so isn't my husband and 1/4 cup of rice just doesn't cut it! lol

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a low calorie pasta or rice? I was wondering if those celophane noodles are any better for you calorie wise...Also, any other low calorie grains? I'm hungry for carbs with dinner at night and so isn't my husband and 1/4 cup of rice just doesn't cut it! lol
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you eating whole grain pasta or rice?

I find it much more filling than the white stuff, although you don't get a break on the calories.

The cellophane noodles are actually really high in calories, as they're made from bean flour. (I got a little post-stirfry shock once).
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Do you know about tofu noodles? They're pretty good, and can really fill that pasta craving (for me).
    I find them at several grocery store, including Safeway, with the tofu and other refrigerated "meatless" items. Sometimes they are called Shiritake noodles. They are packaged in aplastic pouch, with water in it.
    They are 20 cals. per serving, 2 servings per package....it's really hard to eat a whole package! I eat them either like a soup, with chicken or veg.broth, with fresh, steamed veggies, or like spaghetti with marinara.

MMMMMM!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    while not the same as pasta, spaghetti squash is pretty close. very tasty and VERY low cal.
    give it a shot with some sauce and a little grated cheese. My wife and I have this about
    once a week.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Not sure if it is any lower in calories, but it is much better nutritionally: barley. You can get it in bulk at health-food stores.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the tofu shirataki noodles. They carry them in the refrigerated section of whole food stores for $1.49 a bag one serving 20 calories and the whole bag is 40. I stock up like once a month or so because the store is 45min away. There is a store in portland me. Plus whenever I go there I check out things that my daughter would like to eat too. Look them up at www.house-foods.com and the www.wholefoods.com I don't even eat regular pasta anymore. Congrats on your baby!!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I never thought about tofu noodles. Do they taste ok? I mean...lol is my husband going to be fooled? I don't think he'd be crazy about the idea of tofu. I'm open to trying them though. I plan on trying the spaghetti squash too. I like squash, but again my husband doesn't. He's trying to lose weight too, but he's a meat and potatoes man so he's having a harder time of it. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    How do you eat barley? I mean do u just cook it up like rice and eat it or does it need to be in a soup or something? Thanks for the idea :)

Thanks hmmmm :) She is a little angel!
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Don't tell him they're tofu. They don't have the same texture as regular pasta- they are more 'al dente'. I like them, and they definitely fit right in in a sukiyaki style dish (japanese brothy soup with veggies, and small amounts of fish, or meat). eating them with marinara like regular spaghetti is more of a stretch. I eat them that way, but only when my husband and son aren't home. They think they're weird as spaghetti noodle substitutes. I recommend trying them the first way.
  • rhondababy
    Options
    How do you eat barley? I mean do u just cook it up like rice and eat it or does it need to be in a soup or something? Thanks for the idea :)

I put barley in vegetable bean soup- and you don't need much- it really expands!
    As far as interesting rice-like substitutes that are healthier, try quinoa (keenwa). It's an African grain that has a really nice nutty flavor and good texture. I'm not sure of the nutrition info, but I do know that it is the highest protein grain, and the calories are good.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Thankyou rhonda :) I'll check out the quinoa.