How to improve my lung capacity for running?

Options
I have 10 more days to run before my first 5k. I already ran today, but I would like to do some exercises at home to improve my lung capacity for running. I know that my legs could take me much faster on my 5k if only my lungs would handle it.

I've been doing 3.8 miles in 40 minutes, and today I did 3.2 miles in 36 minutes. Those extra 2/10 of a mile kill me, or rather the end of my race, my legs want to run hard, but my chest won't let me. I am 47 and I've only been at this for 5 weeks now. I ran in high school and college, but I haven't run now for YEARS!

I know to keep my shoulders back, and I just read about the 3-3 count with steps for breathing. I cannot do that! I will work toward it after the 5k, but while I'm sitting at home in my LaZboy, are there any breathing exercises I can do, or even cardio exercises I can do to help speed up the process of raising my lung capacity? I thought about swimming, but I want to rest my legs...

:huh:

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This will sound crazy and I have not tried either but guys seem to think that running while wearing a snorkel/dust mask ect that limits the amount of air they can breath in while training improves their lung capacity.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'd love to hear any tips and tricks too.
  • boreshagal
    Options
    Doing intervals 2-3 times per week does wonders for endurance and strength. When running, the more movement with your arms helps you propel your body forward to add to your speed. Good luck with your running. Keep up your hard work.:smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase cardiovascular capacity is to bring yourself to your current limit as often and as long as you can manage. Your body will adapt and increase your capacity to match the new demands being placed on it. Then you place more demand on it. (get in a) lather, rinse, repeat.

Interval training is good for this. But anything that gets you a huffin' and a puffin' works. As soon as you find that you aren't utterly exhausted at the end of your workout, it's time to up your game.

And, as someone who left 40 behind some time ago, I can assure you that it does not get easier with age, but is so much more rewarding for it.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I have found that what myfitnessnmho said is working for me. Everyday I jump on the treadmill to warm up for my workout. Everyday I push myself to see how fast I can run a mile in. Everyday I find that I can run at 6mph longer and longer. I have the same issue where my legs want to go but my chest hates me. I smoked for about 13 years and quit last november. I can't wait to run my first 5k and plan to keep pushing myself until I can officially RUN a full 5k. I won't enter one until I can do just that. Run the entire course. I can't wait. I am so motivated.

BUT your question was if there are any exercises that you can do sitting in your lazyboy and here are a couple links.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5029840_breathing-exercises-improve-lung-capacity.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7824874_increase-lung-capacity-runners.html

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7532071_do-increase-breathing-capacity.html
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Interval training is good for this. But anything that gets you a huffin' and a puffin' works. As soon as you find that you aren't utterly exhausted at the end of your workout, it's time to up your game.

And, as someone who left 40 behind some time ago, I can assure you that it does not get easier with age, but is so much more rewarding for it.

Thanks for that! "Utterly exhausted" Today I didn't run my full 4 miles. I talked myself into quitting at 3.4! It's such a head game, running. BUT I walked .4 mile and then ran HARD to the end .2 mile. I was utterly exhausted!

Yesterday, however, I was so pleased with myself that I did the whole 4 miles, that I coasted to the end. I will have to work on that!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have 10 more days to run before my first 5k. I already ran today, but I would like to do some exercises at home to improve my lung capacity for running. I know that my legs could take me much faster on my 5k if only my lungs would handle it.

I've been doing 3.8 miles in 40 minutes, and today I did 3.2 miles in 36 minutes. Those extra 2/10 of a mile kill me, or rather the end of my race, my legs want to run hard, but my chest won't let me. I am 47 and I've only been at this for 5 weeks now. I ran in high school and college, but I haven't run now for YEARS!

I know to keep my shoulders back, and I just read about the 3-3 count with steps for breathing. I cannot do that! I will work toward it after the 5k, but while I'm sitting at home in my LaZboy, are there any breathing exercises I can do, or even cardio exercises I can do to help speed up the process of raising my lung capacity? I thought about swimming, but I want to rest my legs...

:huh:

I think you answered your own question with the bold portion of your post.

You've been back at it for 5 weeks and can already run 5K in 36 minutes? You should be patting yourself on the back.

Your endurance will improve with time and more running, it's really just about that simple. If you really want to build endurance slow down a bit and run for longer times / distances. Even if your intention is to never run anything longer than a 5K (in terms of racing) you should try to run a long slow distance weekly (in addition to your shorter, faster paced runs, intervals etc.) and gradually build up your distances to 8 or 10km (5 to 6 miles). If you're like a lot of runners you will be amazed at how magnificently your body responds to the demands you place on it and you may start thinking in terms of longer races.......it's addictive!
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    WoW. You have me pegged! I am already hoping to run a half marathon next year!
    I'm pretty sure I can run 6 miles at a slow pace, but the trouble is that I am an overly anxious and hurried person! I tell myself to SLOW DOWN, and the next thing I know, I'm running fast again!
    I have 50+ pounds to lose, and after losing that, my poor heart won't have to work so hard.
    Tomorrow I am going to run 6 miles in a longer time, but do you have any tips about how to slow myself down?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slowing your pace down is hard and takes a conscious effort.

One of the tricks I learned (before I got to cheat by using my GPS) was to control my breathing. Taking 4 paces while breathing in and 4 while breathing out literally forces you to slow things down, as soon as you feel your breathing becoming laboured again your brain has to tell your feet to slow down.

Keep your increases in distance modest. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast. If you're ok at just under 4 miles right now your next step should be 4.5 miles or so (but not more than 5) to allow your body to adapt.

Here's a link you may find useful in terms of pacing your different workouts.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator/
  • klmh128
    klmh128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds utterly insane, but in this month's Esquire Health section there was an article on "How To Hack Your Workout". The journalist noted a expensive "performance mouthpiece" that juts your jaw forward a few millimeters and opens the throat more to help breathing. Derek Jeter uses one. He (the journalist) was able to run up 7% more stairs, the highest gain out of any of this month's workout tricks. He then did it and got the same results for free by just jutting his jaw forward. I tried it going up and down the stairs at work and as long as I remembered my form, I looked plum ridiculous but my breathing capabilities were significantly improved.

There are other workout improvements/hacks at esquire.com/get-in-shape
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    I know this sounds utterly insane, but in this month's Esquire Health section there was an article on "How To Hack Your Workout". The journalist noted a expensive "performance mouthpiece" that juts your jaw forward a few millimeters and opens the throat more to help breathing. Derek Jeter uses one. He (the journalist) was able to run up 7% more stairs, the highest gain out of any of this month's workout tricks. He then did it and got the same results for free by just jutting his jaw forward. I tried it going up and down the stairs at work and as long as I remembered my form, I looked plum ridiculous but my breathing capabilities were significantly improved.

There are other workout improvements/hacks at esquire.com/get-in-shape

THANK YOU! I have a hard plastic mouthpiece that I sleep in. Because of anxiety, I grind my teeth. I'm going to try wearing this on my run tomorrow because it will at least keep my mouth open a bit and make me aware! THANKS SO MUCH!
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Slowing your pace down is hard and takes a conscious effort.

One of the tricks I learned (before I got to cheat by using my GPS) was to control my breathing. Taking 4 paces while breathing in and 4 while breathing out literally forces you to slow things down, as soon as you feel your breathing becoming laboured again your brain has to tell your feet to slow down.

Keep your increases in distance modest. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast. If you're ok at just under 4 miles right now your next step should be 4.5 miles or so (but not more than 5) to allow your body to adapt.

Here's a link you may find useful in terms of pacing your different workouts.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator/

Thank you! can I add you as a fitness pal?
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am very conscious of my breathing when I run. I keep it very, very methodical.

but on a different note, I have used a spirometer to help exercise my lungs. I got mine from the dr when I had pneumonia to help build my lung capacity back up. I use it some now just to keep my lungs going strong.
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    HI! Thanks for your repsonse to my post. I ran today. I took a different route so that may have contributed to my pace, but I only ran 2.4 miles in 42 minutes today. I would have run further, but I had gotten off course and wasn't sure how far 3.2 or 4 miles would be. However when I looked at my watch, it said 42 minutes, so I figured I must be close to 3.2. I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but I learned some things and have a few questions.

... I can breathe out four seconds, but my body won't let me exhale for that length of time. I end up getting off balance, so eventually I just counted the exhales and breathed a couple of breaths during the inhale four count. Toward the end I was exhaling to a count of five for some reason. Does that mean I was taking it easier?
    (This breathing thing isn't making perfect sense to me when I am running. I feel like I'm doing the wrong 'dance'!)

... Running slower hurts my legs and hips, so I wonder if I'm just better off accepting my 3.2 mile pace at 38 minutes, deep breathing when I need to get my heart rate back down. The 5K path has lots of small hills, so my heart rate goes up when climbing, and down when 'coasting down the hills.' Maybe this is a type of interval training you referred to with the ups and downs of the heart rate. Do I just need to be more patient with my body?

... I am wondering why I ran so slowly today. I ate more yesterday than normal (my diary is public... and it's pretty ugly), I'm a bit tired because I was waken in the night, I haven't taken any days off in weeks, I did take a different route that required decision making while I ran, I didn't drink as much water yesterday, and I hadn't taken my anti-anxiety medication before I ran.

... I have noticed some crackling in my knees when I and sitting into or rising out of a chair. My knees don't hurt at all, and they are not tired, but I'm wondering what this is! Like I said, I haven't run for over 15 years, and my knees were not being used much in daily life! I would use my arms to lift and lower myself into a chair or bed. BUT now I can actually lift and lower myself by my knees with no help from my arms and it doesn't hurt them. It just make this crackling noise, and I am hoping I am not doing any damage.

... I'm wondering if I have to take a day off. I would really like to swim today, because I REALLY want to run this 5K in 35 minutes on September 25th. I need to come up with a plan to get myself ready that includes running the actual route twice (psychological), and keeps me active every day until then, but I do think I will need to take the day before off? I don't want to, but it that will enhance my performance, I'm willing to do it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Lung capacity is not a limiting factor. Aerobic capacity is the limiting factor and is the sum of increased heart stroke volume, increased blood volume, increased capillarization in the legs, increased mitochondrial density in the legs, increased glycogen storage in the legs, and other things.

The way to improve this is to run a lot for a long time.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    British Special Forces use this kind of technique:

Fartlek - (Sounds horrendous but works a treat)

This is also an example of what a fartlek session might look like, but fartlek sessions should be designed for an athlete's own event or sport, as well as catering to their individual needs. Sessions should be at an intensity that causes the athlete to work at 60% to 80% of his or her maximum heart rate. This should mean that the body will not experience too much discomfort while exercising. An athlete should also include a good warm up at the beginning of the session, and a cool down at the end of the session, to improve performance, minimize post-workout muscle soreness, to decrease the chances of injury and for other reasons.

Warm up: easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Steady, hard speed for 1.5–2.5 kilometres (0.93–1.6 mi); like a long repetition.
    Recovery: rapid walking for about 5 minutes.
    Start of speed work: easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50–60 metres (160–200 ft), repeated until a little tired.
    Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).
    Full speed uphill for 175–200 metres (574–660 ft).
    Fast pace for 1 minute.
    The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

Shaun
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, "lack of lung capacity" is almost always due to the fact that you are working at too high a percentage of your maximum fitness level.

It's not that your "breathing can't keep up with your legs". It's that you cannot supply sufficient blood/oxygen to the muscles to keep up with the demand. That's a fitness issue, not a breathing problem.

It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong--continuing to train and improve your fitness level will address the issue. Others have already provided some training ideas--e.g. interval training-- to include in your workout.
  • srjeter
    srjeter Posts: 1
    Options
    I am no expert on running. I started jogging for the first time in my life on a treadmill in a gym the hospital i work for that established for its employees. I can't remember the last time i was ever able to run a mile. We had in my h.s. Gym class, outside, having to do this mile to pass gym. I hated running.
    Now 19 years later this April I started jogging, I felt intimidated by it for too long. I know I have it in me to run.
    Bare with me. My lungs always gave out before my legs. I had no stamina. I kept pushing it. When I began i could not believe I ran a whole song off my playlist, I pushed myself and pushed myself to 2 miles in 40 minutes. No Laughing! Today, July, I am running 3 miles in 30 minutes and now my legs cannot keep up with my lungs. Heres the sad part I cannot run a quarter mile outside in our local park due to humidity. I feel like I felt all those times I tried jogging and could not make it 2 blocks when i was younger. To be pushing so hard and running so fast in a gym and dieing in the humidity in my local park, I make myself run barely a mile and it feels exausting. The oxygen and the ocean air are like the fountain of youth here in my little town so I push thru that lousy quarter mile. I pray no one i know sees me. I do this 2 times a week for the benefit of the air.
    Try inside on a treadmill. I noticed when i sweat it clogs the ability for my skin to breathe so i have two wet paper towels I am constanley rubbing my arms, face and neck down and pour cold water over my head. THE COLD keeps me going. I barely get
    a breaze where I am situated but when i do that adds to my endurance tremendously. My face gets hot and sweaty then I have problems breathing until i wipe it away. I keep the wet papertowels in my had, ice water in the cup holder to keeps me cool too. I know, its not smart to be running THAT FAST : ) and dowsing yourself down, Im just crazy like that.
    Try it out, it could be just the humidity keeping you down. Your skin needs to breathe and when you are all sweaty it feels like drowning. Maybe.......I think I may have posted on the wrong board. I was reading about endurance and the lack of....I am however starting in Sprinting. Best wishes.
  • jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    While sitting at home on your lazy chair you can do lung exercise. Go buy ballons. Try blowing some up everyday. I know it sounds funny but pulmonary experts recommend this as a way to improve.