Shoulder pain from running.....Help!

Options
Anyone experience shoulder and upper back pain from running? Any suggestions?

Replies

• kmodrak
    kmodrak Posts: 13
    Options
    Are you a heavy computer / smart phone user? Is the pain on the same side as your mouse or on the same side that you hold your device?

Is it both sides or just one?
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I sit at a computer all day for my job. Honestly it is on both sides, very tense.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're probably tensing up while running (probably keeping your arms a little stiff) Try keeping your shoulders loose and relaxed while you're running .

I'll periodically roll my shoulders back and forth like a mini-stretch while I'm running, another little trick to try while you're running is to touch your fingertips, one at a time and in order from index to pinkie, to your thumb every now and again.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I get the shoulder pain sometimes, but it's only when my body isn't really used to running. It hasn't happened lately. On some of my longer runs I start getting the urge to stretch my shoulders out, though, which usually results in my looking like a crazy person, but that's okay.
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow when i do my morning run i'll try to be more conscious of what my shoulders are doing. I'm getting back into running after it's been a little while. I feel so damn tense!
  • spotdog14
    Options
    You're probably tensing up while running (probably keeping your arms a little stiff) Try keeping your shoulders loose and relaxed while you're running .

I'll periodically roll my shoulders back and forth like a mini-stretch while I'm running, another little trick to try while you're running is to touch your fingertips, one at a time and in order from index to pinkie, to your thumb every now and again.

This is what I do as well. I have found no rhyme or reason as to why I get shoulder pain but that and stretching my arm behind my back while running is the only thing I can do to stop it (or breath deeper).
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great websites that explain proper running form. I was having shoulder pain as well. A few tricks that helped me eliminate it altogether were:

1. Shake out your arms occasionally to loosen and relax your muscles.
    2. Breath from your belly not your chest. I found that I was shallow breathing which was raising my shoulders to my ears.
    3. I SLIGHTLY tuck my pelvis under, keep my chest up, and VERY slightly (like half and inch) roll my shoulders forward.

These have all helped me increase distance comfortably. Number 2 has eliminated side stiches for me as well. :)