Alcohol & Weight?

Options

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has been my biggest impediment to weight loss. I LOVE my wine and beer, and tequila shots are kind of a thing at happy hours. Even if I account for the calories, I still have problems because of how alcohol affects your metabolic process. Your body has to deal with the alcohol before it can work on breaking down everything else you consume. And then there's the tendency to start munching on things when you drink too much...

Just be smart and pay attention to how your body reacts when you drink X amount in a given night, and adjust your intake accordingly.
  • deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    Options
    If you want to keep your calories down, try drinking straight liquor (on the rocks, shots, whatever), or mixing with diet soda.
    Just don't go too crazy! Check the calorie content of various liquors on MFP.

One of my friends grandfather's makes a wicked good orange creamsicle with diet orange soda and vanilla vodka!

Oh my god that sounds so good.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MIke's make a light version now? Less cals/sugar? You could drink vodka with crystal light lemonade....
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Drink mikes hard LIGHT lemonade, they have only 100 cal. In general though yes alcohol will pack on the lbs. I myself have gained many lbs by consuming a few too many a bit too of and it came to a point when I decided it just wasnt worth it anymore.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    You could drink vodka with crystal light lemonade....

Now that's a great idea for the surplus of those individual powder drink things I have at home.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    First, I know several fat alcoholics. Not to mention that skinny doesn't always equal healthy.

Second, if you're drinking booze that doesn't taste like booze I'm guessing you're just drinking to get drunk? In which case you probably need to decide what is more important to you; getting drunk or loosing weight.

I had to give up alcohol almost completely, because it totally stalled my weight loss every time I drank. Now I only drink on special occasions - and going out to have fun on the weekend doesn't count as "special." I maybe drink once every other month. If I go out with my friends, I might have one drink if my calories allow it, but then I stick to water. I can have fun out dancing or playing pool without the buzz. Incidently, I also had to give up Coke, bread, pasta, sugar, coffee (because I can't drink it black), and many, many other yummy things I used to eat.

It's just a matter of priorities.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Drink mikes hard LIGHT lemonade, they have only 100 cal. In general though yes alcohol will pack on the lbs. I myself have gained many lbs by consuming a few too many a bit too of and it came to a point when I decided it just wasnt worth it anymore.

i'm worried it won't taste as good LOL. so far i think i'll just let myself have an Alcohol cheat day, instead of a food cheat day. and work off loads of calories the next day, or the day prior. Idk man this is lame, i hate weightloss. xD
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think a diet (or life style change) is going to stick if you have to give up the things you really enjoy. You should take a break for a bit, and then when you start drinking again, you'll have a lower tolerance and won't have to consume as many calories to get drunk ;)
  • deadbambi
    Options
    in
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Anyone know how many calories are in a kamikaze?

There are 178 calories in 1 cocktail of Kamikaze.
    about 100 in a 1.5oz shot
    Calorie breakdown: 2% fat, 97% carbs, 1% protein

Ahhh FML A margarita has about 740.....

Mikes makes a Light version. Ive had it, its pretty good with lots of ice :)
  • Laurenazz
    Options
    im with youuuu. quiting my drinking is really hard. im a big fan of a beer after work... but trust me, ive been struggling w/ moderation and alcohol. Im going to try and go from 6-5 times a week down to 3 and keeping it to a minimum. . .
  • deadbambi
    Options
    I don't think a diet (or life style change) is going to stick if you have to give up the things you really enjoy. You should take a break for a bit, and then when you start drinking again, you'll have a lower tolerance and won't have to consume as many calories to get drunk ;)

haha, i like the way you think!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking at home, come up with your own concoction that tastes like Mike's! I do low calorie cocktails all the time. I love flavored vodka, you can really go crazy with some delicious combinations!

Check out this website for some ideas!

http://pinnaclevodka.com/recipes

I love margaritas, so I make my own with Patron silver, margarita flavored Crystal Light, a splash of diet 7up and fresh lime juice. Tastes JUST AS GOOD, and at 80 or so calories, I can have a few guilt-free!
  • turnerm65
    turnerm65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could drink vodka with crystal light lemonade....

Now that's a great idea for the surplus of those individual powder drink things I have at home.

Crystal light now makes Mojito and Appletini powders!
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options
    If you're drinking at home, come up with your own concoction that tastes like Mike's! I do low calorie cocktails all the time. I love flavored vodka, you can really go crazy with some delicious combinations!

I love margaritas, so I make my own with Patron silver, margarita flavored Crystal Light, a splash of diet 7up and fresh lime juice. Tastes JUST AS GOOD, and at 80 or so calories, I can have a few guilt-free!

AMAZING! have to try!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Alcohol absolutly hurts weightloss in almost every single way. Just figure out how bad you want it and you'll have your answer. My favorite saying is "if rather have a six pack, than drink a six pack." and if your drinking to get drunk you may have bigger problems than trying to lose weight. And if your 19, and you live in America you shouldn't be drinking at all. (if your in another country disregard the last part but the rest still is true)
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Alcohol absolutly hurts weightloss in almost every single way. Just figure out how bad you want it and you'll have your answer. My favorite saying is "if rather have a six pack, than drink a six pack." and if your drinking to get drunk you may have bigger problems than trying to lose weight. And if your 19, and you live in America you shouldn't be drinking at all. (if your in another country disregard the last part but the rest still is true)

im in canada :P
  • deadbambi
    Options

this sounds so good, oh man
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Jesus, 1 Mike's Hard Lemonade is 200 calories. After four of them it adds up to more than half my daily goal.
    Does it end up really affecting your weight? will it affect my weightloss if i drink 2-3 times a week of significant alcohol?

I know a calorie is a calorie, but some liquors go right through you. Idk maaan. :P I just wanna have fun, but I don't wanna get fat because of it! And I'll never ever understand those people that drink ALL the time, and stay super thin. o.O

Don't eat all day, then go drinking.

Problem solved
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options
    Go jogging while you drink :P

actually I have a pool, idk why I'm not going drunk swimming..