iPhone 4S or Galaxy S III?

Options
crystalizepurple
crystalizepurple Posts: 39 Member
I'm with Sprint and I'm looking to get a new phone today. I already use a phone that has Android. However, I've always had a slide out keyboard. Been nervous about switching to only touchscreen. It's important that the phone I get works really well and doesn't have a lot of issues. Any recommendations for either??

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'd personally go GS3 and I have a 4S. Faster processor, you can get the same memory and it's easier to use/customize.

However. Apple has a very stable OS compared to Android and the front facing camera isn't as good as the GS3.

It really comes down to personal preference. Sprint does have a 14 day return policy on cell phones though.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I'm choosing the 4S -- I've been a die-hard Apple hater for a long time but I'm fed up with Android and it's buggyness and frankly, there IS such thing as "too big." Of course, only when it comes to smartphones ;)

Also, in regards to the above poster... front facing camera, you're not getting the best video quality anyway if you're using Facetime or Tango or Skype. And it seems that Android is the only OS that REQUIRES higher processors because they're running so much crap. I'm using a Windows Phone with a single-core 1.4ghz processor and it's just as fast, if not faster than most other devices.

But I will say.. If you get an iPhone, it's only worth it to have if you jailbreak it. It takes two seconds and opens up and whole new world of awesome stuff.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I personally love my iphone.

Though if you're getting one, I'd wait a month or so since the new iphone is rumored to be coming out in September.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Galaxy S III. It's freaking awesome. The speed, options, and graphics are great. Even the battery life is good so far. No real complaints.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards a Galaxy S III. The new iPhone is coming out in September though, so I'm going to wait & see until I can check that out.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Galaxy S III. It's freaking awesome. The speed, options, and graphics are great. Even the battery life is good so far. No real complaints.

I have a GS3 too and I think its fantastic. I've had it for a few months now. I've never had any issues with android phones in the past at all either
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I upgraded to a GSIII from a blackberry curve. It is a great phone and was a huge upgrade.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    The Gs3 is literally the best ph in the world. Nothing can compare. ANyone who complains about android bugginess prob had a low shelf android.

Apple had its time as the trend setter, but there is nothing that is done on an Iphone that cannot be done (for free) on the GS3.
  • crystalizepurple
    crystalizepurple Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything I get will be better than my current phone (Samsung Intercept). Unfortunately my phone is in such poor condition...very laggy/glitchy that I can't/don't want to really wait until September. Also, I won't be getting another phone possibly for a couple years so this next one needs to be reliable/fast.

Another question, if I do jailbreak the iPhone...does that mean I can't send it back to Sprint if I need to get another one through the insurance?
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything I get will be better than my current phone (Samsung Intercept). Unfortunately my phone is in such poor condition...very laggy/glitchy that I can't/don't want to really wait until September. Also, I won't be getting another phone possibly for a couple years so this next one needs to be reliable/fast.

Another question, if I do jailbreak the iPhone...does that mean I can't send it back to Sprint if I need to get another one through the insurance?

Insurance and warranty are two different animals.
    Warranty has to go directly to apple. Sometimes they don't care, but it's recommended you un-jailbreak it.

Insurance is a totally different scenario. They don't care because you pay a deductible.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Sprint does not offer insurance like you currently pay for TEP (total equipment protection) for your Samsung. Sprint only offers AppleCare which is a one time fee of $99 for 2 years. That gives you the ability to bring the phone in for fixing and things like that. but if the phone needs to be replaced, it depends on the Sprint store you're dealing with. My sprint store I worked for was a repair center so we kept phones that we could swap out in the case that we couldn't fix the phone (we weren't allowed to open them up, so we replaced all the ones that we got.) Now, if you broke the screen, got it wet etc, you would need to take it to the Apple Store and they would replace the phone through AppleCare.

if the phone is damaged due to your negligence on Jailbreaking.... you're stuck. That's if they can prove your jailbreaking of the phone is the reason. I jailbroke my iPhone but it's not without knowledge that I may have screwed myself on it being replaced.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love my iPhone 4, I don't have and haven't had any issues in almost two years. Longevity and reliability are important to me. OS upgrades and App compatibility as upgrades take place are also part of the positive experience I've had. I have zero complaints, and have taken my whole family down the Apple path with me - mostly for the integration between devices now with iCloud and also because of ease of use. I would also wait a month to see if the 5 comes out, and even if the new features or form factor doesn't interest you, it might translate to even bigger savings on the 4S. Not bashing Android, my first forays weren't positive due to lack of App standards and OS fragmentation, but others seem to like theirs.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't even think they are comparable, I would go with the GS2 over the Iphone 4S. Androids now are amazingly better than when they first came out, and there is so much more you can do with them, but for the average user they are both going to do the same thing, the GS3 is just going to do it faster with a brighter screen that is going to last longer, because Apple blew by not going with the organic LED screens. Mostly you will find that people who think the Iphone is better, are people who wont try android, because they were made to believe Apple is the best product in the world. I do have an Ipod, and a Mac book though, just so you know I'm not bias against the company.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    It's hard to speak on both. I am sure they are both fine phones. If you don't like the Android platform, then by all means, switch.

As far as insurance goes - I learned this the hard way - I recently put our phones on our home owner's insurance. So even if Sprint doesn't offer it, you can have the phone put on your home plan. This will provide some added protection. I did this after I shattered my wife's screen on her phone....that's right...after
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    two of my brothers have the GSIII and swear by them...

everyone else in the family have iphones...most of us have iphone 4S' my daughter has an iPhone 3G (as per that 10 yo with an iphone forum post a while back)....

we are all rabidly defensive of our personal choices...all have pros and cons...but *I* am not switching to an android anytime soon.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have only ever had a blackberry or an iphone -- so I vote for iphone.
    It will take some adjustment to go from a keyboard to a touch screen but if you text alot (like i do) it will be second nature in no time.

The iphone is so much fun - I have the 4, but certainly wish I had the 4S.. I love Siri.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love my GSIII! My friend has the 4S and she hates it. As soon as her contract is up, she is switching back to Android (she had the original galaxy s phone)

I have no issues with it and couldn't be happier...now if they let me trade it for the white one, I will be ecstatic :D
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have the SII and LOVE IT. My dad and boyfriend both just got the SIII - Dad loves it, boyfriend has only ever had a brick phone, so is a bit behind, but he'll get there.

It looks great, is really user friendly, fast, efficient, colourful :)
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Me too. I've had it 3 weeks and am in looooove!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Androids over the Iphone. I buy my phones at Best Buy. They have all the carriers and don't make you wait for stupid rebates. Also, if you go with their protection plan, it covers everything, even water damage.