running faster??

I have been running inside on the treadmills for awhile now, because it is just too dang hot outside. I actually recently tried to run outside (just a flat 3 mile loop) and my time was sooooo slow. It took me almost 33 minutes, when I have been running 3 miles in 28-29 minutes on the treadmill. I almost feel like a runner. Still, I am that girl on the treadmill who probably looks like she is going to collapse, but I still get through it. :embarassed:

I feel like I have a pretty good base...I can run 3 miles nonstop. So my goal: I want to start doing 5ks..and I want to run them in 25 minutes or less. My problem is...I never really paid attention to my track coach when he told us to do workouts, so I don't really have a clue on how to do this.

I need some help. I need to find a schedule/plan that can be adapted to run outside and inside, because when it is hot..I really cannot kick it. Anyone know anything or could point me in the right direction??

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    You can start doing some speed training. It's similar to HIIT workouts where you run at your maximum capacity for a specified amount of time or distance, walk to recover, then sprint full out again and continue to repeat.

You can google HIIT or fartleks for some structured workouts with times and distances to help get you started since what you can or want to do will be different from my specific speed training.

Also, there is a huge difference when running in the heat. You can expect to add time to your pace when the temperature starts going up no matter what kind of training you do. I think the general rule is about 30 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees over 60F.

So if you are running 10 minute miles in 60 degree weather, an expected pace at 65 degrees would be 10:30 minutes. This isn't a hard and fast rule, just the general calculations/adjustments though, so it's going to be different for everyone. Also, if you're doing additional speed and pace training, you may only still see pace improvements or a maintained pace during the warmer months, but see your pace increase when the weather cools.

I've personally been struggling with the mental demons that come from having done most of my training during the cooler months and seen steady and continued pace improvements, but watched those flatline/decrease while trying to run in the heat. I've compensated a bit by running earlier and earlier, and that helps, but it's still off pace when I'm outside compared to climate controlled gyms and the cooler months.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 627 Member
    You can start doing some speed training. It's similar to HIIT workouts where you run at your maximum capacity for a specified amount of time or distance, walk to recover, then sprint full out again and continue to repeat.

^^ This. Best way to increase distance and speed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Track repeats, hills, intervals. (Tons of great info over at runnersworld.com http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-263-264-0,00.html

Depending on how long you've been running for my suggestion would be to focus on endurance and work on longer runs rather than just a fast 5K. Once you're able to comfortably cope with the longer distances then work on your speed.

Have fun!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    I would say if you are just getting able to run 3 miles, your immediate goal of 25 minutes for a 5k is a little too difficult. Maybe focus on doing a 5k, then starting to take the time off. Ive found the only way I have been able to cut time on 5k's is to run more often and run longer. It wasnt until I hit about 10K distance that I noticed a significant difference in my 5k times.

And I run in AZ...hot hot hot! If its above 90 degrees I force myself to slow down about 30 seconds per mile even if I dont feel that I need to. No point overheating and sitting out for a week recovering.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Track repeats, hills, intervals. (Tons of great info over at runnersworld.com http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-263-264-0,00.html

Depending on how long you've been running for my suggestion would be to focus on endurance and work on longer runs rather than just a fast 5K. Once you're able to comfortably cope with the longer distances then work on your speed.

Have fun!

I'm not at the point yet where I'm worrying about pace yet, but my breakthrough when it came to improving my 5K was when I trained for a 10 mile. All the sudden my legs weren't tired after 3.
  • Here is an excellent short writeup on running faster geared for beginners (and we are relatively speaking).
    http://running.competitor.com/2012/07/training/speed-training-for-beginners_8047

My personal experience is that I was in a similar position to you, running 2 or 3 miles reguarly for a while and wanting to speed it up.
    So I started doing intervals and track repeats. However, this led to frequent soft tissue injuries and also tendon inflammation.
    Did not result in running faster because I wasn't running enough as a result of the injuries. The article discusses
    how to increase speed without taking on this risk.

Also, I would suggest you gradually get up to a 5 miles run will also help your body get stronger.

When you run inside on a treadmill, ramp up the incline to 1-1.5%. There is a slight advantage to running
    without wind resistance, as well as possibly having the treadmill provide some assistance with leg motion.
    That may account for some of the time difference you experienced.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Personally I would get out there and go running. Far more challenging than a treadmill and so much more rewarding. I was worried about running outside but you soon loose those worries. The type of ground you run on has an effect on stamina and eg ache.

Also don't worry about starting slow. I was slow for a long time until I started feeling stronger and now run at a much quicker pace. In fact in about 3 months I am 2.5 minutes quicker a mile now and I can run much more distance.

I have read on man forums that to speed up you need to run for time first. Eg try and run for 40-50 minutes rather than 30 mins or so. Mix your runs up so do some short fast runs and some long slow runs. Also make sure you can run well going downhill and flat before you start putting too many hills in. Build them in gradually. I also did lamp post training as I call it. Or interval training, walk, jog, sprint repeate, I found a dual carriageway with evenly spaced lamp posts and changed at every post. I feel I am a much better runner now an really enjoy it,
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    It sounds like you simply need to increase your mileage. Track intervals and other kinds of specialized workouts are completely unnecessary for where you're at.

As you run more you'll gain efficiency and build your aerobic base which will naturally make you capable of sustaining a faster pace. The usual advice is to increase by about 10% per week in order to avoid overuse injuries. For someone doing under 20 miles a week I would say it's safe to do more than 10%.

As for the treadmill thing... I don't think it's a huge issue. They definitely allow you to run at a faster pace (so don't rely on a treadmill workout as an indicator of ability), but it's still a workout. I dont like them but some people do.

Seriously though... all this talk about jacking up the intensity on your workouts is quite frankly dumb and will at best do nothing for you and at worst get you injured. Work on building your base with lots of easy miles, it will increase your speed and set you up to start doing some of these specialized workouts in the future.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I think you probably lack the endurance to do any true speed workouts at this point.

Increase your mileage and you will get faster - I promise!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I think you probably lack the endurance to do any true speed workouts at this point.

Increase your mileage and you will get faster - I promise!

THIS! I didn't believe it the first time he said it but now I know from experience!
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    I agree with those who say you aren't ready for intense speed workouts yet. Keep working on getting stronger--run a little longer, be consistent, run outside. The best thing you can do at this point is just to keep running and let your body adapt. For one run each week, work on going a little farther than before. For example, in a week you might have four 3 mile runs and one 4 mile run, and then keep making that long one longer until you get to 10k. Once you are comfortable with that distance, you can start to think about things like speed, hills, etc. Getting comfortable with longer distances will automatically make your short distances faster.

Jumping into speed work too early almost always leads to injury. Don't worry about a goal time yet. :)
  • dhealy11
    dhealy11 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks guys!! I kind of thought that's what everyone would say! I'll just work on amping up the mileage for a while before getting into speed workouts!! :happy:
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Also keep in mind the 10% "rule": don't increase your total weekly mileage by more than 10% per week. So if this week you ran 20k, don't increase beyond 22km total next week.

(Some of us may be guilty of breaking that rule... repeatedly... but it's risky ;)