Polar Ft4?

Options
I have been going crazy with my Polar Ft4. When I first purchased it there was no problems what so ever. Lately i have to spend at least 10-15 minutes trying to get it to read my heart rate. I have to keep taking it off and wetting and trying again and again until it finally catches on. i changed the batteries in both the watch part and the monitor and it still does the same thing. it's driving me crazy. Does anyone else have a problem like this and how did you solve it? PLEASE HELP

Replies

• caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you washing the strap enough?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Go buy a Garmin Edge 500. Everything else is garbage.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There was a thread here last week that said something about cleaning the contacts to solve this problem. You should be able to search it up.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Any particular reasoning behind that statement? The Edge 500 costs almost $200 more than an FT4 and appears to be geared toward cyclists. What makes it better?

I've got an FT4 and have been nothing but happy with it. I have used rubbing alcohol to clean the snaps a few times and I wash the strap after every use.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Ha, I was using a Garmin Forerunner 405 and an Edge 800 today and they do not agree AT ALL on the calorie burn. Got to figure out what is wrong.

BTW, both are useless in the gym because they do not calculate burn based on HR but on distance -- so I have a Polar FT7 (and a dysfunctional S725 and ...) for that. Polars are pretty good. And their straps are better than the Garmin ones.

Wash the strap in warm water. Hand dry.
  • lutkica01
    Options
    do you guys wash the strap in the washing machine?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

I hand rinse mine with a little shampoo in the shower after each use and wash it in the washing machine (in a mesh bag) at least once a week. Always air dry.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yep - use a lingerie bag - once a week.