Protein powder questions

Options
I'm new to protein powders and i'm getting a lot of conflicting information about it.

1) do i need it?
I've noticed i don't eat a lot of protein and i do want to build lean muscle. Right now i only walk/jog, but i'm trying to build up my endurance. and i do light strength training with 5 lb weights(still very heavy for me in my stage of fitness)

2)If i do need it, how should i use it?
Right now i add about half a scoop to my oatmeal in the mornings or i'll put it in a smoothie or something for a snack if i didn't use it in breakfast

3)Did i buy the right kind?
in the protein aisle, it was go big or go home and i was forced to buy a smaller container becuase i wasn't sure how much i would end up using. ITs vanilla soy protein with 23 grams of protein per scoop at 170 calories a scoop.(seems like a lot to me)

Right now i just use half a scoop. Is that too much? Also i've noticed when i use it, i'm INCREDIBLY thirsty afterwards. Is that normal?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    i like isopure
  • audreygonzy
    Options
    bump
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Well every gram of protein is about 7 calories so 23g for 170 is about right.

I personally dont use powders and just eat the protein bars...because I typically only do 1 a day because it comes loaded with carbs as well to fuel my workout.

If you have a very high protein diet then powder might be the answer...but just to fuel a workout and lose weight...you could stick with a delicious Clif bar imo. :)
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Well every gram of protein is about 7 calories so 23g for 170 is about right.

1g of protein is 4 calories.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    For the type of exercise you describe, protean powder may be overkill. Just eat other sources of lean protean (fish, chicken, tofu, rice beans, milk) - you know, real food.

When you increase the intensity of both your cardio and strength training you may benefit from powder.

As for me I use it post work out as part of a recovery drink (30-40 grams).
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Rach_Gem_n_Disguise Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Insanity and refuse to shell out the big bucks for the Shakeology Shakes. So, I buy MuscleTech Protein Powder ...triple chocolate. I buy the before and after protein powder. I also buy their new energy powder mix to drink prior to my morning workout for that extra boost. I was drinking the Jillian Michael's protein powder but it didn't have that much protein in it for what I needed, however it did taste better. If you're going to do some strength training or crazy Insanity type exercises, I would say definitely drink protein powder shakes....if not then I wouldn't.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1gram of protein per pound of lean body weight is what most people recommend while cutting. If you can get at least that much through your regular diet then you dont really need to worry about protein supplement.

I have been buying the Cytosport 100% whey from Costco and have been pretty happy with it. 27grams for 140 cals. Helps me get my protein without going over on calories for the day.
  • NightHawkH
    NightHawkH Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    170 calories per scoop sounds excessive . my pure protein is 210 calories 56g 44g protein. so it sounds like u have a mass builder or
    muscle fuel. either on of those are not right for you.
    on your training its very hard to build lean muscle and
    lose weight at the same time and you will find greater gains losing weight to your
    goal and then start adding/ focusing on muscle.

when building muscle u need to increase intake of correct
    fuel like protein and losing u need to decrease intake so they are
    sort of counter productive.

on the other hand if u substitute a meal for a protein shake
    the increased protein will help with fat loss...