Would you run loops?

Options

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I run loops around my neighborhood, with my dog. Its a 1 mile loop. Sometimes I know I will see other dog walkers on my 2nd loop, so to make it more fun, I try to imagine where I would like to pass them on second round. Makes it fun :)

Oooh i like it
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When I am stuck, I bring my 5 years old to play in a PARC and run around. Each lap must be about one minute so people see me doing the same lap 30-40 times. Sometime people look at me but I do not give a hoot.

Do what you have to do.
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5K, too, and just finished the final workout of Week 3 on Sunday. Wouldn't you know, I strained my right gluteal muscle sometime during that workout, although I didn't feel it at the time. I've been limping around for the last 2 days, but as soon as it heals up, I'm going back on the program because I was feeling great while on it!

I would definitely run loops -- and already have. One day it looked like it was going to rain, so I ran several times around our neighborhood. We live on a street that bisects the center of a loop, so it would have been easy to zip home if it started to rain. It worked well and I'll probably do it again.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I run loops around my neighborhood, with my dog. Its a 1 mile loop. Sometimes I know I will see other dog walkers on my 2nd loop, so to make it more fun, I try to imagine where I would like to pass them on second round. Makes it fun :)

That's a fun sounding game! We don't have many walkers/exercisers in my area, most people hang out inside all day. I figure outside has *got* to be less boring than the treadmill even if I am seeing the same stuff a bunch.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The loop around my neighborhood is also half a mile. I've done it. I count how many times my neighbors wave to me. lol Don't feel stupid, they should be out there with you!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    absolutely run loops. I have a perfect two mile loop in my neighborhood that I run all the time. I know the perfect cut to make it one mile. I can adjust my loops/mileage depending on how much time I have. If you feel comfy being near your house and this is what gets you off that treadmill DO IT! Your neighbors don't care. Remember, they aren't outside running, YOU ARE! YAY!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why not? If it gets you running outdoors and you're more comfortable knowing the bathroom is never too far away it sounds like a win win to me.

One of the most enjoyable half-marathons I've run was a 4 x 5km loop (+1.1km tacked on to the end) on cart tracks around a golf course in the middle of January (The Hypothermic Half)
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I run loops. Depending on how I feel that day and how the run feels when I start, the loop gets bigger or smaller. I have a loop in the woods around the outside of the apartment complex that's a little better than a mile long. How sweet is that?!!?

Plus, I use MapMyRun and Walk Tracker apps for the iPhone.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i would totally do it. I do it often actually. Not a problem--you might get some running buddies as they see you in the neighborhood.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Run your loop, do what's best for you, who cares what the neighbors think.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i think its a great idea! its the same idea as doing laps on a track, and since its actually a .5m instead of .25m itll be a lot less tedious lol
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I did this yesterday and a few nights ago. Once I did about loops to make 1.2 miles and the second time I did two larger loops for a full 5k. Not weird at all!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Run the loop, or do what I do and plan a route that means you are never too far away from a loo - The important thing is you are running :)
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I say do it who cares what anyone else thinks and since you said they all hang out insides who knows maybe you will be a trend setter. I walk laps at our local high school track right across from my mother in laws house and she hates it and tries to be discouraging towards me but i just smile and keep going. Good Luck to you
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As someone who also suffers ibs running loops sounds like a brilliant idea to me, I run on a treadmill at the gym, loops are sounding like fun to me and I'm tempted to try it myself. My neighbours already think I'm loopy anyway, nothing wrong with a friendly wave from them.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Do what you got to do. I ran four miles around my house once and have ran a few miles several times in my yard. Hey it beats the treadmill any day!

added: I live on a busy corner and you can also find me hula hooping or running while pulling my kids in the sled in my yard in the winter so yeah i don't really care what people think. I'm pretty sure they know now not to expect the ordinary when they drive past my house! lol
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The town I'm from is around 8,000 people and they are slowly working on a trail through town. The head isn't far from my house but runs behind alot of businesses rather than by a lot of houses. Or at least for now it does because halfway through the route is painted along the side of the road because we don't have many sidewalks.

I am about to start C25K in a few weeks (having my gall bladder removed so I am waiting for that) and will be running our trail. But the gyms I have been to suggest changing direction on the track so MWF go clockwise and TTH go counter clockwise to change it up a little. I don't get to do that since my trail isn't a loop but it's an idea!!!

Plus maybe you will motivate your neighbors to get out and run!!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's exactly what I do. My "lap" is just barely shy of 1 mile, so I do 3 laps and some change. My neighborhood also has some elevation changes, about 90ft from end to end which adds some extra resistance over the course of the 3 miles, really provides for a higher stress work out than a real 3 miles would without having to run 4-5 miles to exert yourself the same.

Also, might grab the app Runkeeper, works on your phone or itouch, uses GPS to track your run, pace, avg. mile, elevation changes and all sorts of custom stuff. Really neat.
  • mumto3boyz7
    Options
    Who cares what the neighbors think?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just go run. The more the better. The farther the better. The faster the better.