discouraged...

seleck05
seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,

I have been using MFP for a little over a month and wanted to post today cause I just feel so discouraged. I first started gaining weight 2 years ago when I was on Lexapro. I then lost most of it when I moved to France for 6 months and put it all back on + another 10 lbs or so since then. I was doing well on my goal of 1 lb per week weight loss until this week. :sad: I got on the scale and I gained 3 lbs of the 4 I had lost back. I was sick this weekend and on Friday I didn't calorie count and did not eat very well. It is just so frustrating that one day of not counting undid 3 weeks of hard work! It's so hard to not want to give up.

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    did you weigh at the same time? give yourself a week watch the 3lbs disapear.....its happened to me....just dont let it ruin your motivation! it WILL COME BACK OFF!!!!
  • Maybe you just ate too much salt. Happens to me.
    I actually gained a pound since my start date of November 1st.
    Hang in there! :wink:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi guys,

I have been using MFP for a little over a month and wanted to post today cause I just feel so discouraged. I first started gaining weight 2 years ago when I was on Lexapro. I then lost most of it when I moved to France for 6 months and put it all back on + another 10 lbs or so since then. I was doing well on my goal of 1 lb per week weight loss until this week. :sad: I got on the scale and I gained 3 lbs of the 4 I had lost back. I was sick this weekend and on Friday I didn't calorie count and did not eat very well. It is just so frustrating that one day of not counting undid 3 weeks of hard work! It's so hard to not want to give up.

It doesn't look like you have much to lose, so it WILL come off slowly. You might want to only weigh in every 2 weeks, rather than every week. It might show more of a difference by then.
    I agree that your weight gain could have been from too much salt. I fully believe in drinking tons of water every day to flush out your system! :drinker:
    Keep at it, remember, slow and steady wins the race! :happy:
  • Sounds like water weight! I have been steadily losing 1.5-2lbs per week since June. 2 weeks ago I did my normal weigh in & hadn't lost anything :( I had had a good week so I knew it wasn't how much I ate, but I had gone to 2 parties the 2 days before weigh in so I crossed my fingers that the food was high sodium & it was water weight. The following week I weighed in with a 3lb loss having done nothing different. Remember that it takes 3500 calories above & beyond maintenance calories to gain 1 lb so unless you ate that much extra food it's water weight & will go away naturally if you drink extra water & be careful with sodium for the next week :)
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    unless you ate 10,000 calories you didnt gain it all back.. sodium will do that to you.. watch for hidden sodium in stuff like canned soups, frozen dinners, etc.. read your labels.

also, if you are not trying to lose very much weight dont focus on the scale.. get on your program and dont weight more than every 2-3 weeks. Your weight will vary from day to day, hour to hour, and you will see more progress waiting a couple weeks in between.

good luck to you
  • It is discouraaging when we have a set back, for whatever reason. I just try to remember that in a day or two it will be gone as long as I start eating carefully again, and get a little more exercise than planned. I try to stay focused on my long range goals, which somehow helps with the discouragement.
    Just keep going - "you can do it, we can help!" to quote a popular Home Remodeling supply company!
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    thanks everyone! Having never posted on here before I can honestly say what an encouraging group! I had really felt like packing in the bags but after getting every ones replies I have the motivation to eat a healthy dinner! Thanks.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    thanks everyone! Having never posted on here before I can honestly say what an encouraging group! I had really felt like packing in the bags but after getting every ones replies I have the motivation to eat a healthy dinner! Thanks.

Anytime! :smile:
    You should post more often! It's fun, and addicting too! :laugh: And it'll help keep you motivated more too! :wink: :smile: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.