late night eating

Options
Does anyone have any definitive information about eating late in the day?.I know all the "experts " say we should have a big breakfast and then reduce the sizes of meals throughout the day but its not always that easy!.

I find that I tend to save up calories ( poss subconsciously) but then need to eat around 400 ,sometimes quite late at night to achieve my calorie goal for the day. This is my prefered way of managing my calorie intake throughout the day and I just wondered what other members do "in the real world" !.

The weight is now coming off but at a very slow pace, sometimes a couple of pounds in a week but quite often I stay at one weight for what seems like an age !!

Replies

• JalopenaGina
    JalopenaGina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat late late at night or maybe i should say early early morning lol .. if you are eating the amount you can have what makes a difference?? I don't see anything wrong with it..
  • LissaD26
    LissaD26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's more about WHAT you're eating and when. I recently started front-loading my day with carbs/protein to accompany my morning workouts, but cut carbs after lunch and just have veggies/protein/fat at dinner. And it's OK to go to bed hungry. Your body will work all night attacking your low carb dinner and burn more calories than if you filled up on carbs.

At least, that's what's been working for me.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    What you eat and how much is far far more important than when you eat it.

Eat whenever fits into your schedule, I eat over 50% of my calories after 6pm which the bro scientists will tell you makes you fat.......nope still reducing my body fat week on week because I am overall in a calorie deficit which is all that matters.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Even if you did store a little more fat at night, it wouldn't matter, because that energy reserve would be tapped the next day, assuming your maintaining a calorie deficit. There's no use in worrying what might happen a few hours after a meal.
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    I do this same thing. I am bumping for later after more people reply. Great question!!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here's an article describing the findings of a scientific study. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060202080832.htm

According to this, the time of day that you eat has no impact on weight.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The idea that you need to avoid eating after a certain time of day lest you pack on the pounds is a myth. It's a bit of popular wisdom because many people find themselves snacking mindlessly at night and overeating; if they just make a rule that they can't eat anything after dinner, they eliminate that risk. That's it. If you have calories to spare, you can eat them whenever you want. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you should lose weight.
  • wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I work 2nd shift so I usually eat my dinner at work around 8:30-9pm and when I get home I usually have a few pretzel sticks or some carrots or something to curb the late night munchies. But from everything I have read eating late is fine as long as your are sticking to your calorie intake. Math is math no matter what time of day it is. Now you will burn calories slower at night but as long as you are within your allotted amount you should be fine
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30pm & 9:30pm. Right now that's about 2200 calories during the "forbidden time". It didn't hamper my weight loss at all. True story.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    your body cant tell time.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The idea that you need to avoid eating after a certain time of day lest you pack on the pounds is a myth. It's a bit of popular wisdom because many people find themselves snacking mindlessly at night and overeating;

I DO THIS!!

Id have to agree with everyone who is saying if you HAVE the calories left to eat it doesn't matter WHEN you eat them...
    unless of course you are like me and kind of zombie your way through the fridge and wake up with sticky fingers and food leftovers on your pjs. .. then Id say STAY away from the fridge at night because it CAN be a dangerous overeating/overage on calories type of eating...
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I read a book a few years ago that made sense to me, it was about eating certain foods at certain times. It didn't condemn eating after a certain hour, and our schedules and bodies are so different that you have to find out what works for you. The real point was that your body needs the carbs for energy when you get up, it's got a whole day to get through, so get the fuel in before lunch. And your body rests and renews while you sleep, so feeding it more proteins later in the day will give it those building blocks to do that. Of course that theory doesn't give you the freedom to eat a loaf of bread for breakfast and 3 10 oz steaks for supper! I just find my body feels better when I'm fueling it with the right stuff at the right time within my calorie limit.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I do same thing ... No worries